Recommend me Something -- Romantic

Mr Poltroon

I make way too many of these threads. At least I come across something new and great every time, so it's worth it!

More than anime, I would prefer manga recommendations. There are two conditions for either, however. It must be fully finished, or, at least, have a full season/manga out (I have seen manga with manga sequels, but I have no idea what to call those), and it doesn't need to focus on the romance, but it must be a worthwhile factor.

Feel free to point it out even if It's on my list, so long as I haven't read/watched it yet.

Worthy of note, I am not a fan of sad, depressing, dark, heavy, dramatic things. If all ends well though... Feel free to recommend :wafuu:

Chinese and Korean manga are fair game. Yaoi is banned. Anything heavy on H content must be primarily vanilla, though I can put up with a lot of stuff so long as there's love. Just... have mercy.

For manga, there's always the recently finished Nisekoi. It's pretty light hearted and very very harem. But, there is a conclusion so that's always a plus. Also, Kimi no Iru Machi is a pretty good romance. It had a very interesting plot and is full of drama and romance - on your MAL list. Hopefully I used the MAL search function right and you haven't already read these :pyaa:.

For anime, Sakamichi no Apollon is great. The characters were well written and the plot was enjoyable too.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan and Astarotte no Omocha!....... I regret nothing :makina:.

(Sigh) mentioning romance Korean manga got me depressed about the current state of the author of Fluttering Feelings, fucking cancer.

For a serious recommendation you have a rather tall order for a "completed" story. I'm actually having a hard time trying to come up with a decent "romantic" title that isn't ongoing or just tapered off without a true ending. Most of the completed romance manga/anime, that I have seen, really piss me off. I have two particular titles that have elements of romance as a central feature that I absolutely love, Horimiya and Skip Beat!. Sadly/gladly neither of these titles are complete, but both have at least a season of anime worth of content in their manga. Heck I think the Skip Beat! anime has 25+ episodes.

5 hours ago, Polycentric said:

For manga, there's always the recently finished Nisekoi. It's pretty light hearted and very very harem. But, there is a conclusion so that's always a plus.

I really enjoyed Nisekoi right to the end, but others here really hated the second half so I don't know that it would be a universal recommendation though it is definitely conclusive.

You've never read the classic Love Hina, and it's nowhere on your list. Do read it.

As for anime, you recommended Emma to me though you didn't watch it so I'll recommend it back to you :) though you'll probably read the manga through first and then I don't know how it will fare...

If we talk about manga there, maybe Gakuen Alice and Bitter Virgin should be your pick there (To be honest I don't know about manga much here). I knew that Gakuen Alice had anime adaptation, but the anime was end on unsatisfying note ie some unresolved plot points, so once again I recommended you to just read the manga there.

For romance anime, maybe Nodame Cantabile (All of the seasons), Earl and Fairy, Honey and Clover, and Lovely Complex there would be good to you. Hope my recommendations here help.

Thank you, everyone, for your meritorious efforts to aid me.

18 hours ago, Polycentric said:

For manga, there's always the recently finished Nisekoi. It's pretty light hearted and very very harem. But, there is a conclusion so that's always a plus. Also, Kimi no Iru Machi is a pretty good romance. It had a very interesting plot and is full of drama and romance - on your MAL list. Hopefully I used the MAL search function right and you haven't already read these :pyaa:.

For anime, Sakamichi no Apollon is great. The characters were well written and the plot was enjoyable too.

Nisekoi, huh...?
I just know I should do it eventually but I'm really really bad at handling harems, and I can just feel my future frustration at dealing with it!
Forever SOONTM

Kimi no Iru Machi is a strange case. It's one of those manga I've considered reading many a time -- all roads read to it -- but its reviews keep putting me off. They mention drama, and how every chapter ends on some sort of cliffhanger, and characters are shocked all the time, etc. etc.
Reviews hardly ever give an accurate depiction (as in, they tend to be more negative than myself), but they do do a good job at killing my motivation. Its length doesn't help its case, either.

Sakamichi no Apollon does look good, however. I'd generally opt for the manga right off the bat, but as it seems to be based on music, I'll start with its anime.

18 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan and Astarotte no Omocha!....... I regret nothing :makina:.

(Sigh) mentioning romance Korean manga got me depressed about the current state of the author of Fluttering Feelings, fucking cancer.

For a serious recommendation you have a rather tall order for a "completed" story. I'm actually having a hard time trying to come up with a decent "romantic" title that isn't ongoing or just tapered off without a true ending. Most of the completed romance manga/anime, that I have seen, really piss me off. I have two particular titles that have elements of romance as a central feature that I absolutely love, Horimiya and Skip Beat!. Sadly/gladly neither of these titles are complete, but both have at least a season of anime worth of content in their manga. Heck I think the Skip Beat! anime has 25+ episodes.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/357/Bokusatsu_Tenshi_Dokuro-chan

It is on my list, you know? :makina:
As for that second one, its got enough of a premise for me to research further.

I am indeed waiting for Horimiya to conclude,

I may consider watching Skip Beat's anime... But it's not a premise that I love, after cursory research.

15 hours ago, havoc said:

looking for a father is pretty interesting.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=107336

It certainly does look interesting... Added to my list.

13 hours ago, ittaku said:

I really enjoyed Nisekoi right to the end, but others here really hated the second half so I don't know that it would be a universal recommendation though it is definitely conclusive.

You've never read the classic Love Hina, and it's nowhere on your list. Do read it.

As for anime, you recommended Emma to me though you didn't watch it so I'll recommend it back to you :) though you'll probably read the manga through first and then I don't know how it will fare...

I watched Love Hina. As it never passed through my mind to read its manga, I must have either found the anime conclusive or believed the anime covered the whole of it. I need to investigate whether this is the case. If not, I'll definitely read it.

As for Emma, I've already read its main story, but I'm entirely capable of watching it, too. I just need to get around to reading the extra chapters in the manga.

12 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Have you read Girl Friends? (It's yuri, if that wasn't obvious.) The manga is really cute, funny and the romance is great. It also offers a very good and satisfying ending, and it's finished, so it should fit the criteria pretty well. It's one of my favorite manga series.

I have indeed read Girl Friends, after it being vehemently recommended from multiple sources. Whilst I liked it, I distinctly remember leaving with a feeling of not understanding what warranted its laudation and praise. It was good, but I didn't think it any better than any other Yuri I had read at the time.

7 hours ago, littleshogun said:

If we talk about manga there, maybe Gakuen Alice and Bitter Virgin should be your pick there (To be honest I don't know about manga much here). I knew that Gakuen Alice had anime adaptation, but the anime was end on unsatisfying note ie some unresolved plot points, so once again I recommended you to just read the manga there.

For romance anime, maybe Nodame Cantabile (All of the seasons), Earl and Fairy, Honey and Clover, and Lovely Complex there would be good to you. Hope my recommendations here help.

Gakuen Alice... I was about to start it a couple of times, but was interrupted by what I can only call mere chance. The description of the anime calls it a "heartwarming comedy" which fits me to a Tee. I'll definitely give the manga a try.

As for Bitter Virgin, I kicked it out of my list when its multiple reviews mentioned it was dark.
Does it... conclude well? Happily ever after?

Whilst I've watched Nodame Cantabile, I have never heard of Earl and Fairy, and it does look mighty interesting. Thank you!

On the other hand, I found myself disliking Honey and Clover for some mysterious, indiscernible reason the single time I tried it out. I seem to remember @ittaku was of the same opinion or something?
Perhaps I'd be better attuned to its manga?

Finally, on the topic of Lovely Complex... I'm in the process of rewatching it! I ragequit on about episode 16 the first time I tried, but I fully intend to finish it this time!

1 hour ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I watched Love Hina. As it never passed through my mind to read its manga, I must have either found the anime conclusive or believed the anime covered the whole of it. I need to investigate whether this is the case. If not, I'll definitely read it.

As for Emma, I've already read its main story, but I'm entirely capable of watching it, too. I just need to get around to reading the extra chapters in the manga.

On the other hand, I found myself disliking Honey and Clover for some mysterious, indiscernible reason the single time I tried it out. I seem to remember @ittaku was of the same opinion or something?
Perhaps I'd be better attuned to its manga?

The Love Hina anime was a classic indeed but it only really made it 1/3 of the way through the manga and then they tacked on those horrible Love Hina Again OVAs to try and finish the story and they were terrible executions and not faithful to the manga. The manga is hilarious and heartwarming at the same time. It was my first manga read in Japanese and I've read it 3 times over (bought it from Amazon JP) though Ken Akamatsu made it (the Japanese one) freely available a couple of years ago.

Emma the anime was solid if slow, but then that's consistent with Victorian pace. The only real issue I had with it was Emma herself but I suspect that's faithful to the manga, and I don't want to give any spoilers here.

Indeed you remember correctly. I hated Honey and Clover. I didn't warm to any of the characters and I hated the way people related to each other. It was more about drama of unsuccessful romances or unrequited love or fucking up rather than resolution. I gave up in disgust before finishing season 1.

Mysterious girlfriend X. this one if probably my all time favorite romance manga and disappointed that it has not already been recommended. some people have  trouble with the whole droll thing but if you can get past that is in a wonderfully sweat manga.

Koi Neko  is also quite good assuming you have no problems with cat girls.

Koharu no hibi. a word of warning on this one, the girl is borderline yandere. she never takes it all the way to murder or confinement, not even any real violence, but still.

Yandere Kanojo. this one is a 4-koma and despite the title this one is Yandere free.

Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane is another 4-koma. this one is yuri, it also has a bit of a loli element to it but its presented in a clean and humors manner.

Fujimura-Kun Meitsu. Unlike the others I have listed so far this one is a harem manga.

Omamori Himari again this one is a harem manga but unlike the last one this one has Ecchi and supernatural elements, thought in all fairness i thing the magically appearing pit traps should have earned Fujimura-Kun Meitsu  a supernatural tag.

Sister Blood. I am mostly listing this one because being by the same person as onamori himari it popped into my head while i was listing that one. this one is a one shot and as the title suggests the romance in this one may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Lucifer and the biscuit hammer. romance is a smaller aspect of this manga but still definitely a part of it and its simply an all around good manga.

5 hours ago, Youko said:

Mysterious girlfriend X. this one if probably my all time favorite romance manga and disappointed that it has not already been recommended. some people have  trouble with the whole droll thing but if you can get past that is in a wonderfully sweat manga.

I object. Infinite endless repetitive blue balls without conclusion does NOT make for good romance. The first chapter or so it was fun and original and sexy but it effectively ended in exactly the same place it started. One series of the anime is enough to get the idea of what the manga is like for 10x that duration.

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

I object. Infinite endless repetitive blue balls without conclusion does NOT make for good romance. The first chapter or so it was fun and original and sexy but it effectively ended in exactly the same place it started. One series of the anime is enough to get the idea of what the manga is like for 10x that duration.

either you have completely missed the point of the manga or you just aren't the sort of person its written for.  the whole manga is about developing emotional intimacy and trust rather than just rushing into a physical relationship.  yes it is an ideal taken to something of an extreme but so are the ideals of many other manga.  Magika no Kenshi to Shoukan Maou has the ideal of the strong hero who is irresistible to women, within a few months he ends up all the women in his dorm taking turns spending the night in his room and with him as one of the strongest people in the world. Again this is an ideal clearly taken to an extreme but that does not make the story any less enjoyable, its just a matter of whether its an ideal you enjoy reading about or not. Also I will point out that the suggestion of blue balls is somewhat unfair, he decides the he would like something more romantic then a simple kiss when  Urabe offers to let him kiss her if that is what he wants. also on multiple occasions she does give him droll that gives him some very pleasant dreams. Oh and the anime in no way does the manga justice.

13 minutes ago, Youko said:

Either you have completely missed the point of the manga or you just aren't the sort of person its written for.

I'm sorry, I did not miss the point, I just hated it, and I'm not alone. Instead of a romantic progression, let's just go round and round in circles repeating the same jealous plot and not progress in a relationship like normal humans would. I loved it at the start, and then... got tired of the same plot over and over again without progressing. The end may as well be the first day. Either way, I'd rather put a caveat on this recommendation to Tiago, much like I did for Nisekoi which I liked but I know others hated. There are definitely things where the majority of people like them and others, like these two, where opinions are polarised.