Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram

sg-epk@jtk93

So I am currently translating the a PC port of Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram from Chinese to English. 

It shouldn't be that hard since a translation of all the text exists but the problem is that I don't know how to edit or open RPYB files, if I can't open those files I can't edit the text for the Novel. So does anyone know how to edit and open these RPYB files?

Note: there is already a complete English youtube translation for this VN. The translator said not to use his text for any actual patches, but whether you care about that is your choice. Considering his reason was it encouraging piracy... or something... I'm not sure if I would care much myself.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:58 PM, Zakamutt said:

... JP->CN->EN translation...

It's all about JP-> CH -> KR -> Vietnamese -> English. Only way to get a translation.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:46 PM, sg-epk@jtk93 said:

So I am currently translating the a PC port of Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram from Chinese to English. 

It shouldn't be that hard since a translation of all the text exists but the problem is that I don't know how to edit or open RPYB files, if I can't open those files I can't edit the text for the Novel. So does anyone know how to edit and open these RPYB files?

I'm sure one of the following can decompile the scripts. Python allows you to use decompiled scripts on run time... so you shouldn't have to worry about that(recompiling).

https://bitbucket.org/tari/renpy-rv 

https://github.com/CensoredUsername/unrpyc

https://visuallyneko.wordpress.com/visual-novel-tools/renpy-script-decompiler/

On 2016/9/11 at 11:54 PM, Zakamutt said:

Note: there is already a complete English youtube translation for this VN. The translator said not to use his text for any actual patches, but whether you care about that is your choice. Considering his reason was it encouraging piracy... or something... I'm not sure if I would care much myself.

His reasons should be pretty obvious, with keeping the fan-translation patch all to himself (if you watch the videos, it should be pretty obvious he is using a fan-translation patch and not just merely photoshoping english text on top of the japanese text, which mean an english patch was created, which he never released) and just uploading videos on youtube of him playing the game he can have exclusive control over anything Linear Bounded Phenogram english-related and this way he can actually get all Linear Bounded Phenogram money when people come and watch his videos on youtube, whereas if he would just have released the fan-translation patch he wouldn't have gotten anything.

On 2016/9/11 at 11:58 PM, Zakamutt said:

Well, (some) people are unlikely to be all that happy about a JP->CN->EN translation, but do as you wish I guess.

Pretty sure that's not what he is saying and you are misunderdanding, the game is console-exclusive in Japan BUT in China it was released on PC too, think of the situation where Umineko Project is making a PC port of Umineko PS3 games in English and Russian. With an existing PC port, he can release an english PC version this way and it would be an easy solution for people outside East-Asia to finally easily be able play the game in a language they can understand.

On 2016/9/11 at 11:46 PM, sg-epk@jtk93 said:

Well, good luck. I have yet to read Linear Bounded Phenogram because "playing" a VN by watching videos of someone else playing the game just isn't fun, so I never read Linear Bounded Phenogram because of that, hope this project can pan out so that you are able to make an english PC release available for us non East-Asian speakers.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Baldur said:

Wow that's great thanks, really hope this pans out as I love Steins;Gate (I have the Steins;Gate Limited Edition PC version from 2014, Steins;Gate PS3 standard edition and Steins;Gate 0 PS4 Amadeus Edition) so we can play this in english as it's very unlikely that PQube will ever release this on PS4 or PS Vita.

Edited by Nier