LET'S TRANSLATE!!!

PUBAK

Yo everyone.

how are you all doing?

to cut to the chase,I need help for starting a vn translation.

my experience in vn reading is about two years.(this would make most of you guys my senpai:sachi:)

and my experience in vn translation is zero...:amane:

but I want to have one game translated.

so now is the time to introduce you to the visual novel I want to translate.

http://initial-soft.com/saikoro/

サイコロジック・ラブコメディ

English version:Psycho logic Love Comedy

introduction:

when you get away from the happiness,we enter into a loop.

somewhere,sometime ,not here,not now.

a boy with amnesia, Hirakase Haruki,meets a girl with the same circumstances.and they share a certain secret between themselves.

and immediately,they lose consciousness.

when they wake up,they have been returned to a few days ago.

academy district,surrounded by high lengthened walls,

boys and girls with special abilities,

the assigned duty to Haruki and Yuika,

with all the happenings that occur one after another,adaption to the school life continues.

after some time.the two begin to take action as the coworkers that share a secret.and they find out that the "happiness" of Haruki and the loop of the world are directly connected to each other.

why they have lost their memory....?

why this world is in such a loop....?

and...........where lies the happiness......?

ok.

as it shows I will be acting as one of the translators...the introduction above is my translating work.the original text is in the developer's website link above.

this game is about 1.5 GB and has only three ending.

I don't know about you guys but I really love this psychological VNs...

and first of all I need someone too hack the game and extract the script.no need to translate the menu  cuz options are mostly english or easy to understand.

anyway I'm done with the topic and I'll answer to anyone who have questions or are interested in joining the project.

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

Good luck with your project!

Spoiler

Don't let your dreams be dreeaaams

More seriously tho. Good luck with the project. You might want to consider fixing up on the translation you wrote. Capital letters, spacing, comma and periods though.

Based on VNDB it's a short title so there's a good chance you will be able to finish it, I see that it doesn't have many ratings so it's probably not that popular but if you liked the VN then I don't see the problem with doing the translation for it ...

As for the first comment that you got here, don't take it too hard but it's probably related to the fact that lately the VN market in the west has become somewhat bigger then it was before so there's a good chance that maybe one of the VN localization companies will pickup a title from this VN developer ... Though this particual VN developer (initial) seems to be relatively new on the market with only 2 VNs released so far so I guess you could fan-translate their stuff with no problems right now. I don't think any VN localization company would pick them up now because they seem to be unknown in the western world, that's my opinion of it as of the moment.

@PUBAK - Alright, I see, that's bad xD Well, I am going to see if I can help you somehow but don't expect that much, I myself am not really a hacker so I can't really find a way to get the scripts but I will try to determine the engine, that much can be done I guess, though don't put much hope into it, I will tell you if I find something interesting ... By the way, is this a yuri title?

@PUBAK - Okay, I have an update for you, I have checked out the game and it uses YU-RIS engine ... which is kind of a bad news for you because I never worked with YU-RIS (it's kind of a shame that I didn't work with it, some popular VNs like euphoria uses it) ... I tried looking for some tools and it appears that on this forum there were people that were working with YU-RIS and from what I have gathered it is kind of a hard engine to work with but not impossible to crack ...

So far I have determined which file houses the scripts and I tried a tool that I found and I am not sure right now if it worked ... The file you are trying to get is called "ysbin.ypf" that is located in the game's directory ... The problem right now is that I have yet to determine the version of the .ypf file, the tool I found was last updated in the middle of 2014 and this VN was released in 2015 so I don't know if this tool actually worked, I managed to get .ybn files out of it but I am not sure how to read them, I am getting gibberish when I try with the text editor though on some spots I see clear English words like "SOUNDINFO". "ANTIALIASING" and similiar, I guess that's from the Options menu or something like that ... I will try fiddling with it but don't expect too much, you are kind of in bad luck for picking up a VN with this engine since it isn't that popular with fan-translators ... I will try to find more info, the VN itself looks interesting and I'd like one day to see the translation of it :)

Edit: The version is v464, I just found out.

Edited by Infernoplex
Added new info

17 hours ago, PUBAK said:

introduction:

a boy with amnesia, Hirakase Haruki,meets a girl with the same circumstances.and they share a certain secret between themselves.

with all the happenings that occur one after another,adaption to the school life continues.

after some time.the two begin to take action as the coworkers that share a secret.and they find out that the "happiness" of Haruki and the loop of the world are directly connected to each other.

ok.

as it shows I will be acting as one of the translators...the introduction above is my translating work.the original text is in the developer's website link above

What would you say your Japanese skill level is at? I'll be blunt, your translated intro was pretty shoddy. I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm, but your efforts are misguided here. You do not seem capable of producing a translation that is of acceptable quality even for the low standards of fan translation. I very strongly suggest that you drop this endeavor. 

edit: I have to say, I'm actually pretty shocked and heavily disappointed at the amount of encouragement that's going on here. What's happening is akin to someone encouraging some frail kid to go toe to toe with Mohammad Ali. This is just irresponsible at this point. I'm sorry PUBAK but you are simply not ready for translation yet. Furthermore, to translate the work with the above level of quality is both disrespectful to us and the original creators of the work, it's so bad. Please stop.

@PUBAK - Sorry, I can't read the script files, they are archived in a different format and can't be extracted, I don't have a single clue on how to read it. As for Decay's advice, I think he has a point but don't take it the wrong way, putting your time and effort into fan-translating a VN and then releasing something hard to read shouldn't be your goal. I didn't want to mention that but your TL of the intro does look like it needs a retranslation, I don't know Japanese so I can't really say anything more about the matter.

As for the encouragement part (I guess Decay was referring to me), I think that everybody should get a chance. Maybe I am bad for trying to encourage people into doing something they might not be able to accomplish but I certainly don't want to be the guy to tell them to stop. I had one very negative experience in my past when I tried to discourage someone to do something and since then I don't try to do that anymore. Besides, some people tend to get all fired up even more to do something when you tell them to stop, so I kind of avoid doing that, it's of no use telling that to some people.

Another thing of note is that even if you released a total garbage of the translation, you wouldn't be the first one to do it. Though you should really try to improve your Japanese skills, if you really want to bring something of use and to feel a sense of accomplishment. It's not really useful if your translated sentences are hard to understand.

20 hours ago, PUBAK said:

サイコロジック・ラブコメディ

English version:Psycho logic Love Comedy

introduction:

Okay I understand your want to give back to the community but please learn Japanese to some extent before you try to do any translation. Also to be honest your english does not seem up to par either. I wouldn't even call myself a good translator and I can see how many mistakes you made in the translation of the introduction (to be fair though it used a very strange format).

First off, I think the title is supposed to be Psychologic Love Comedy (Which I'd probably change to Psychological Love Comedy because I don't trust Japanese companies to know english well especially after seeing some of their file names.) 

Second of all here is my hastily done translation of the introduction:

When you are disconnected from happiness, we loop.

In a place that is not here, in a time that is not now a boy, Hirakase Haruki, awoke. 
Meeting a girl in the same circumstances, Yuika, they began to share a secret. 
Immediately after, both again parted from consciousness.

Before they had awoken, the world had returned to it's state of a few days prior. 
There was a tall wall surrounding the academy sector,
there were people with special powers,
Haruki and Yuika were assigned duties. (Not 100% sure about this line here is the raw "
陽希とユイカに課せられる義務")
Little by little, even while bewildered, they adapt to academy life.

A little while later, they began to act.
Working towards their shared secret.

And so they realized the world's loop is connected to Haruki's happiness.

They wonder: why did we lose our memory?
why is the world looping?
where does happiness lie?

So not only did you skip a bunch of lines you clearly MTLed (Machine Translated) it which in my books is a big no-no unless you explicitly state that it's MTLed. On the off chance that it is not MTLed you clearly do not have a good enough grasp of Japanese yet. Try getting formal instruction.

If you can't there are a lot of great online resources that can help.

Here are some that you may find useful:

• Maggie-Sensei (good practical japanese lessons for once you've got the basics down)
  • Realkana (Learn Katakana and Hirigana. I don't know if it's the best place because I just googled it.)
  • Kanjialive (a great tool for learning kanji, as for what to put into it just look up the list of kanji for various levels of the JPLT (Japanese Language Placement Test))
  • KanjiTomo (Probably the best free Japanese OCR (Optical Character Recognition tool) Tool which doubles as a dictionary. Use it for identifying japanese in images.)
  • Jisho and weblio (Very good Japanese to english dictionaries. Weblio is better for idiomatic phrases and verbs and Jisho is really good for individual words [do not fully trust its verb conjugation identifier])
  • Any website that teaches you about particles (These are probably the most important part of Japanese grammar)
  • Any website that teaches you how to conjugate verbs (Use maggie-sensei for casual forms of speech. This is probably the second most important part of japanese grammar after particles)

Once you have at least grasped most if not all of the particles and most of the common verb conjugations, then you should be fine to start translating anything. If you attempt to translate before you grasp those you learn almost nothing and the translation makes no sense so no one benefits.

If you don't want to at least learn these simple basic things, do not say you are translating as it is basically insulting anyone who actually translates (It's like saying "I can cook" to  a chef when all you can do is use a microwave, not only are you flat out lying you are disrespecting what the chef does).

Anyways, sorry if I came off a bit harsh but sometimes it's better to nip something in the bud before it grows out of control. If one person gets away with an improper translation it sets precedence for more and then real problems happen. I also tend to get a bit ranty when things hit close to home (I'm part of the Baka-Tsuki LN community and it had a problem where a lot of people (like 30) were passing poorly edited MTLs off as "translations" on a project called Mushoku Tensei. Then they started doing the same on other projects and shit hit the fan. Actual translators did not want to be associated with those rubbish translations so they either left the site, went radio silent for a while, or straight up quit translating altogether. The site has never fully recovered from that even after changing policies to prevent that from happening.)

I hope you at least listen to this advice. If you read this far thank you for doing so.

Edit: I've made some small spelling fixes and made clear that I'm not sure about one of the lines now.

Edited by Yascob
Fixing spelling mistakes

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

As for the encouragement part (I guess Decay was referring to me), I think that everybody should get a chance. Maybe I am bad for trying to encourage people into doing something they might not be able to accomplish but I certainly don't want to be the guy to tell them to stop. I had one very negative experience in my past when I tried to discourage someone to do something and since then I don't try to do that anymore. Besides, some people tend to get all fired up even more to do something when you tell them to stop, so I kind of avoid doing that, it's of no use telling that to some people.

If someone who couldn't write grammatically correct English sentences wanted to write a book in English, would you say they should? If you don't know English well enough to write common sentences without making errors, you shouldn't be doing creative writing. Period. 

Chances are the person will just quit some point, after realizing that translating isn't as easy they think it is, like the majority of other fan-translations. The number of actual finished projects with terribly bad English quality are very, very few, and practically all of them get disregarded by the community (for good reason) so you're doing nobody a service. If somebody was okay with that level of quality they could literally just install VNR and read the game with the automatic translations on and replicate the same thing to a good enough extent. 

@Infernoplex reeeaaaaly thanks for the efforts you put into helping me.I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.:sacchan: <3

and thanks for the advices,encouragements and also discouragements.

I am aware of this fact  that my English level is not good enough to satisfy everyone.(and probably if I go with this kind of translation it would become something like the english version of "kono oozora ni tsubasa wo hirogete" which moenovel released and everyone (including me) had their minds overheatd after reading it... :wahaha:

but don't worry.

after reading the comments I realized that I should stop for now Until I reach my translation level to an acceptable point that most people would approve it.

@Decay thanks man.I'm grateful.these kind of comments are what I need to realize my weak points and downsides.

and also @Yascob thanks for the time you put into your reply.they are useful.

(this comment became somewhat of a thanks letter.:D)

well I won't give up on this VN so easily but first I should do something about my TL.

I hope that this game will be translated so if there was some other project that wanted to translate this VN in the future, I would be really grateful if any of you notify me.

1 hour ago, PUBAK said:

and thanks for the advices,encouragements and also discouragements.

It's nice to see you take everything so positively :sachi:

It's true that your current standard of English may not be good enough to provide a good translation, but if you work hard enough it would definitely improve over time.

Good luck! 

7 hours ago, Decay said:

What would you say your Japanese skill level is at? I'll be blunt, your translated intro was pretty shoddy. I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm, but your efforts are misguided here. You do not seem capable of producing a translation that is of acceptable quality even for the low standards of fan translation. I very strongly suggest that you drop this endeavor. 

edit: I have to say, I'm actually pretty shocked and heavily disappointed at the amount of encouragement that's going on here. What's happening is akin to someone encouraging some frail kid to go toe to toe with Mohammad Ali. This is just irresponsible at this point. I'm sorry PUBAK but you are simply not ready for translation yet. Furthermore, to translate the work with the above level of quality is both disrespectful to us and the original creators of the work, it's so bad. Please stop.

You are so full of yourself.

This kind of thinking is so toxic to the whole world not just the visual novel community ....you are just a resentful little man, lashing out words of discouragement, with so much hate on them... it's actually pathetic and frightening to see someone saying this kind of things and BELIEVING them, yes the worst thing is that you believe in what you are saying...

Who are you to judge the "standard" of fan translations and saying that he doesn't even meet the so called "low standards"?  
Who are you to say when someone is or isn't ready to do anything?
Comparing a translation of a visual novel to a fight against Muhammad Ali....are you out of your mind, are you on prescriptions or something?

Using the word "disrespectful" for a fan translation.... wtf! Disrespectful and low is what you are doing here!

He doesn't need any standards and sure as hell doesn't owe YOU or anyone here NOTHING, if the company at some point decides that they don't t want his translation they would do so as many companies have done in the past but until then you are no one to judge his work or say anything to him, specially not in the way you are saying it.
And please refrain from now on of using the word "us" in your posts since  clearly you are not a spokesman of anything I believe or think.

You are the first user I will block in fuwanovel, I like to keep toxic people away from me. And please don't take my post out of context....

Get help, you really need it!

さよなら:sachi:

14 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Who are you to judge the "standard" of fan translations and saying that he doesn't even meet the so called "low standards"?  

There happens to be this wonderful metric called the proper usage of the English language?

And you say his line of thinking is toxic, but quite frankly the kind of blind worship people around these parts have for literally anyone who attempts a translation, entirely regardless of quality, is what is more toxic. The way communities evolve, and get better at their craft isn't by giving people a gold star and telling them they're great just for literally trying. Like, hell, imagine where sports would be if people never thought to get better, and just accepted their level of skill when they were say in middle school. Nobody is telling anyone they can't and never will be able to do something, just that people ought to realize their own limitations at the present and not do something that they quite frankly are not cut out to do. By putting out a god awful translation for a game you're essentially stepping all over it, which should bother you if you have any amount of respect for it at all. If you care about a game, should you not want people to get a decent, enjoyable experience out of playing it? Do you not see how it would greatly hamper an English readers experience if you spit out barely coherent sentences? I mean, if you want to translate, all power to you, but you should strive for a damn higher quality than the level of horse shit found in the Flyable Heart translation. And if you know you can't put out a decently respectable level of translation quality, you should wise up and stop. 

20 minutes ago, Chuee said:

And you say his line of thinking is toxic, but quite frankly the kind of blind worship people around these parts have for literally anyone who attempts a translation, entirely regardless of quality, is what is more toxic.

23 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

Good luck with your project!

....yup, some blind worship going on here. smallest of small words of encouragement going on here and its blind worship. are you sure youre not projecting your feelings for decay onto deepy? :makina:

also, i know i might be seen as a completely blind follower to your greatness pubak but i dont care. i wish you the best of luck.