VPN to unblock ErogameScape -エロゲー批評空間-

HKO2006

Prevous topic, Tor is not working for ErogameScape anymore (I got Japan in ip2location but can't access the site). So I found another way.

EDIT: just use this site instead:  http://egs.omaera.org/~ap2/ero/toukei_kaiseki/ ( thanks  Conjueror)

VPN Gate and SoftEther VPN, created by a Japanese university, University of Tsukuba (the irony).

It's very simple, follow the instructions in http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_softether.aspx, pick a Japanese VPN to connect to and you are good.

I really like this one, it doesn't disconnect my internet connection when I connect to the VPN (I have never tried other VPN so maybe this is nothing impressive). It does disconnect.

Edited by HKO2006

Using a VPN to connect to one site is a pain.  I wouldn't recommend it.  I've used this particular VPN when I want to browse sites like Alicesoft and a web proxy is too slow to handle all the image / video loading.  For EGS, it's simpler to just use a web proxy.

Also, I'm pretty sure that connecting to SoftEther does reset your Internet connection.  I wouldn't recommend trying it while playing an MMO.

W-O-W!!! O_O Now this is some new info for me ... I knew Japanese eroge developers were a lot into blocking foreign IPs but I didn't know that even EGS does it too O_O I tried going on that site the other day and wondered why I couldn't get to it, now I finally realise that they are blocking foreign IPs ... Dear Japan, why, why do you like to make everything so bothersome -.- ...

46 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I follow your blog so I already read that a while ago. My previous statement on Japan was just a needless question dedicated only to myself (which I decided for some reason to put here too xDD, stupid me I guess :D) in hopes that the reality will change someday and a happy ending will ensue. I still vaguely remember the episode with RapeLay and the media outburst over it.

4 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

W-O-W!!! O_O Now this is some new info for me ... I knew Japanese eroge developers were a lot into blocking foreign IPs but I didn't know that even EGS does it too O_O I tried going on that site the other day and wondered why I couldn't get to it, now I finally realise that they are blocking foreign IPs ... Dear Japan, why, why do you like to make everything so bothersome -.- ...

The admin of the EGS is a pretty cool guy though, he is unblocking everyone's ip who has pmed him from the twitter. They just dont want to deal with the some retarded problems from outside, for example there was a time where feminists got mad to a nukige and made a fuss about how they should stop making such games and how those games make japanese people look women as a toy etc, probably this is the "international scandal" from the @sanahtlig's blog.

Its not just Ninetail, most of companies are pretty friendly even with the foreign fans (except Akabesoft), like Baseson who actually told me their "planned games" from the twitter like 3-4 months before the offical announcement because I was getting worried if they're dead or not. 

@Qrqe - Yes, that's the RapeLay incident though I think some time has passed since then, it was like 5 years ago or something like that, I am kind of hoping that it will get forgotten someday. And as for the admin of EGS, cool, though I am not really that hardcore about getting on the site right now. The only reason why I wanted to see that site was that I heard it's a Japanese-oriented VNDB, I am almost every day on VNDB now and I wanted to see how Japanese VNDB looks like.

12 minutes ago, Rooke said:

*Snort* Rape ... elements? In Rapelay? The sim all about groping, stalking, then raping girls? That's a mild way of putting it.

Well I have never bothered with checking the game itself, but I'm not really sure how it effect my point. In short they dont want to trigger some people with their games, so they're hiding from the outside viewers. And so far it works pretty perfectly.

34 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

@Qrqe - Yes, that's the RapeLay incident though I think some time has passed since then, it was like 5 years ago or something like that, I am kind of hoping that it will get forgotten someday. And as for the admin of EGS, cool, though I am not really that hardcore about getting on the site right now. The only reason why I wanted to see that site was that I heard it's a Japanese-oriented VNDB, I am almost every day on VNDB now and I wanted to see how Japanese VNDB looks like.

I go to EGS for the votes, to get an idea of what's popular and well-liked in Japan.  That's it.  The only edge that EGS really has is that you can view VNs in a list by thumbnails and see votes for all of a developer's titles at once.

Also, having my IP unblocked probably wouldn't be useful since my IP address is dynamic, like many residential users.

2 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I go to EGS for the votes, to get an idea of what's popular and well-liked in Japan.  That's it.  The only edge that EGS really has is that you can view VNs in a list by thumbnails and see votes for all of a developer's titles at once.

Also, having my IP unblocked probably wouldn't be useful since my IP address is dynamic, like many residential customers.

Yes, I've heard that, those Japanese have different tastes and I wanted to see their ratings, that's all. As for the thumbnails advantage, I can live without it honestly. I am using right now some kind of a script for GreaseMonkey that allows me to see covers of VNs on VNDB when I hover the mouse over the title of the VN (though it works only on tags and VNs list pages, I can't do it everywhere apparently). I think I have found that script somewhere on this forum, somebody posted it, maybe it was recently, I didn't always have it. It's kind of cool, I like it ^^ ...

As for the IP, I am also on dynamic so IP white-listing would be of no help to me for EGS.

1 hour ago, Qrqe said:

Well I have never bothered with checking the game itself, but I'm not really sure how it effect my point.

If you really want to go into it, the downplaying of unsavoury elements adds weight to your conclusion of the drama surrounding it. That is, if there were only rape ELEMENTS in the game, then obviously certain people were kicking up a stink for little reason (because the rape aspect was small and trivial, which is what 'elements' implies) and therefore the whole furore was 'retarded' because of how obviously unjustified (rape ELEMENTS remember) it was.

Without this misleading assertion by you, it takes much more effort to show that the accompanied furore was unjustified. 

So your incorrect description of the game allowed you to easily paint a segment of the community as unreasonable and rabid. If you want to do that, you're going to have to work much, MUCH harder to show it ;) 

32 minutes ago, Rooke said:

If you really want to go into it, the downplaying of unsavoury elements adds weight to your conclusion of the drama surrounding it. That is, if there were only rape ELEMENTS in the game, then obviously certain people were kicking up a stink for little reason (because the rape aspect was small and trivial, which is what 'elements' implies) and therefore the whole furore was 'retarded' because of how obviously unjustified (rape ELEMENTS remember) it was.

Without this misleading assertion by you, it takes much more effort to show that the accompanied furore was unjustified.

So your incorrect description of the game allowed you to easily paint a segment of the community as unreasonable and rabid. If you want to do that, you're going to have to work much, MUCH harder to show it ;)

You are getting triggered by too little details mate. I just answered the "why do you like to make everything so bothersome " part of the post I quote, and explained why do they bother with an example. I literally dont care about the rapelay shitstorm and definitely not going bother with arguing about its justness. My point is; Those kind of nukiges are pretty common thing in the eroge industry and japs dont care about the game's content; may it be rape, bestiality, torture or whatever comes to your mind while they're not welcomed in any other countries. Because of that; they are adding the "japan only" warning to all of their games ( this didn't start with the rapelay though) and some of them just blocks foreign IPs so they wouldn't get any unnecessary troubles. 

Anyway I'm deleting the "rape element" part of my original post so this wouldn't get any more off topic.

3 minutes ago, Qrqe said:

You are getting triggered by too little details mate. I just answered the "why do you like to make everything so bothersome " part of the post I quote, and explained why do they bother with an example. I literally dont care about the rapelay shitstorm and definitely not going bother with arguing about its justness.

I’m not getting triggered at all. What I did do was correct a mistake in your post which leads to assumptions drawn around members of the community. I’m really not interested whether you did it intentionally or not, the results are the same and therefore I made a comment. You then asked what difference it made to your point, and I made a post regarding that also - that is, it didn't affect your point but certain other realities. If you make an inaccuracy on a public forum, you should expect people will point it out. It's the same with everyone. 

• 1 year later...