Learning a new musical instrument

Limerence_

So in about 2 more months I'll be taking a pretty big national exam that I've been studying the past few years for. After which, I would have about 2-3 months of completely free time (I would literally have nothing to do), so I was hoping to pick up a musical instrument in this long period of time. However, the problem is that I've had no experience in the fields of music. I never learnt any instrument as a kid, so I'll be starting completely from scratch. I'm mainly interested in learning either guitar or piano, but since piano seems to be the more difficult option (due to pricing and technical ability), I'm currently leaning towards guitar. 

Of course, I still plan on practising (if I were to take up either instrument) after this 3 months, as I won't be busy to the point of not having time for leisure. I've also read that both instruments require a lot of time and dedication. I'm not expecting myself to master the instrument in a matter of months, but I'm hoping to at least be able to play relatively simple pieces. 

I was wondering if I could get any advice and maybe a couple of tips from anyone who plays either instrument (or who plays any instrument). Thank you. :sachi:

My biggest pieces of advice I can give you with the guitar are

• be prepared for it to hurt, possibly a fair bit. When you try basic chords you'll find your fingers having to stretch in ways that aren't familiar, so your fingers will either ache like crazy or just not do it. Persevere with it, it gets easier!
  • Additionally, the strings will likely chew up your fingertips to start with (which is one of the reasons it's best to start of with a nylon-stringed or classical guitar, as opposed to a steel-string one), but again stick with it, as harder skin will form on your fingertips. Another benefit of classical/nylon-string is it requires you to fret properly, which is useful when you're starting out. It's easier to fudge it when you move into the electric world.
  • When you fret the strings, try to do with more with the tip of your finger than your pad. This will, once the strength builds up in your fingers, help you to push down the string better and cleaner, and doesn't mute the other strings.

If you've got any more questions then feel free to ask, I'll only be too happy to help :sachi:

Oh, one other thing now I think about it. Do fingering exercises when you're starting out (... heh.) A good one to do is fret the 1st fret with your index finger and then play it, 2nd fret with your middle finger (and then play it), 3rd fret with your ring finger (play that too) and 4th fret with little finger (play that as well). DON'T CHEAT, cos otherwise you end up like me, 10 years down the line, with a little finger far weaker than the other three.

Thanks so much for the advice! 

9 minutes ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

(which is one of the reasons it's best to start of with a nylon-stringed or classical guitar,

Google had also advised me to start off with a classical guitar. For a complete beginner like me, is there any specific model or price range I should be looking at? 

7 minutes ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

Do fingering exercises

:makina: 

4 minutes ago, Limerence_ said:

Thanks so much for the advice! 

Google had also advised me to start off with a classical guitar. For a complete beginner like me, is there any specific model or price range I should be looking at? 

No problem :sachi:

In all honesty, until you start getting to ~£800 (about $1500 I believe) then you kinda get what you pay for in terms of quality, but for starting out you definitely don't need that. My first one was £20 (so just short of $40) and did me fine until I saved up for another - I play it now though and think it's a shitbox ;). I've heard good things about the Admira Alba and Yamaha classical guitars, but I don't know how much you're looking to spend (both are around ~£100/$180 I believe).

If you've got a music shop near you, then you can look at the guitar before you buy it which is a major +1. Check it sounds alright, has got no splits (particularly check the sides and the join between the body and the neck) and the neck doesn't bend too much. Look down the neck like you would a rifle - a little downward bend is fine, but if it's bending sideways steer clear of it.

Given that 2-3 months I suggest you go for guitar, yes. Piano takes a lot more time to be able to enjoy and be satisfied in what you are playing, while for guitar, you can pretty much play any song you like if you got the chords down. Just have to endure the pain.

edit:lol

I don't know, 3 months seems like a short period of time to learn from scratch, but you can probably manage the basics.

Piano seems far more intimidating than guitar, otherwise they are completely different (looking from outside the business).

I chose the easy way though -drums, but they have the disadvantage of being the most expensive instrument comparatively.

I would love to learn guitar or bass, but keyboard can be fine too and maybe it's easier, I don't know.

Again, I don't know about America (if that's where you are) but in Europe you can get basic guitars for some 100 euros. Not professional level maybe, but enough to scratch the itch of playing.

1 hour ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

I've heard good things about the Admira Alba and Yamaha classical guitars, but I don't know how much you're looking to spend (both are around ~£100/$180 I believe).

I see... There's a Yamaha shop nearby so maybe I'll check it out one of these days. I didn't know you could get a guitar for $40 though :o 

1 hour ago, melo4496 said:

Given that 2-3 months I suggest you go for guitar, yes.

Yeah, piano seemed a bit too difficult. 

36 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I don't know, 3 months seems like a short period of time to learn from scratch, but you can probably manage the basics.

I was also contemplating my decision, but since I've always wanted to learn an instrument and I won't have this amount of free time again I figured I should just go for it. 

Just now, Limerence_ said:

I didn't know you could get a guitar for $40 though :o

Well, it was a half-size one for a start, plus I got it from a catalogue (it was my 6th birthday, so I think my parents wanted to just get me something to see if I'd stick it).

Still, you should probably, if you don't wanna pay for a Yamaha (which aren't too bad but I don't know your financial situation), be able to pick one up for ~$70-80 that'll be fit enough for purpose, I'd have thought :)

i'd love to learn to play keyboard/ piano ...but to be honnest, i'm so fuckin lazy , i'm not able to settle a regular schedule for my homeworks/ learning japanes/ yoyo practise , let alone learning keyboard from scratch.

i've tried guitar , but it was not for me + i dont really like the way it sounds...

I learnt how to play the keyboard (not piano) in around 3 months, I was playing dango daikazoku from clannad, shukumei from muv luv, tsukimori from  fatal frame 4, yeah really basic stuff but still it's not impossible to learn it within that range of time if you have the perseverance to do it.
what really helped me at first was this

Spoiler

learning how to read musical score takes a lot of time and this was like taking a huge shortcut (I still really dont really know how to read properly but i dont care to be honest), the hardest thing to do with the piano imo was being able to use both hands at the same time without fucking everything up and keep the tempo while doing so but after a while it becomes something natural to your body, this again is after a huge amount of practice.

For the keyboard you can buy something like really cheap and basic from casio or yahama around 100-200 to start and it will be ok (I bought the casio ctk 3200 to start and i dont regret it if you have the money go for the 6200)

I picked up bongos in two months as a teenager.  All you really need is a good ear for rhythm and the ability to match your hands' slapping to it, lol.  It helps if you wear thin leather gloves, since it really starts to hurt after four hours of practice...