Supipara Review Discussion Thread

Decay

Supipara-header-810x575.jpg

http://fuwanovel.net/reviews/2016/09/02/supipara-chapter-01-spring-has-come/

Better late than never, right? I did not like this VN much, as some people who have talked to me recently about it may have noticed. I guess there's a reason it bombed in Japan, huh?

Certainly some valid points, although I found the interactions between Yukinari and his mother pretty much the worst part of the whole VN lol.

It's just the first chapter though, and I wonder what rating ef would have gotten just based on its first chapter. Not that I'd have any confidence that we'll ever see Supipara's later chapters 3 - 5...

Still, I think I'm currently struggling more with Flowers than I was with Supipara. :amane:

36 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

It's just the first chapter though, and I wonder what rating ef would have gotten just based on its first chapter. Not that I'd have any confidence that we'll ever see Supipara's later chapters 3 - 5...

3 or 4 out of 5. I quite liked the first chapter in ef. This is a really weak opening in comparison. And from what I've heard, chapter 2 doesn't get much better, although I rated Chapter 1 on its own merits.

Good review there, although it maybe not so favorable here though. For more elaboration here, I also happened to like the romance between side characters here (Kazuhiko and Takako, or if you prefer their nickname Higashino (East) and Nishizono (West)) more compared to the romance between Yukinari and Sakura here. And while Decay said that this chapter was pretty much quite complete, I must said that minori was probably develop Sakura Chapter with how to made the overall of first story in mind, so that's why Sakura Chapter was quite underwhelming (Probably). I also should ask why minori decided to released first story divided by 2 instead of just released it completely there (To be more blunt here, I'd disagree with minori's decision here), but what's done is done. For now I just hope that minori will find success in their sort of crowdfunding here to see complete story of Supipara.

PS - I think it's more like no sex here that factoring the flop in Japan there. I said this because minori VN after this had many heroines with big breast (Something that almost never happened before Supipara) and lengthy sex scenes (From what I'd read sex scene at minori's game before Supipara was quite short). Just my guess here.

PPS - Takako there was quite cute imo.

17 hours ago, exaccuss said:

I must be the only person who loved this game lol.

I didn't necessarily love it, but I thought it was enjoyable enough. It needs more serious plot to hook me currently.

16 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Still, I think I'm currently struggling more with Flowers than I was with Supipara. :amane:

I struggled more with Flowers during the beginning half. Last half was good though. I definitely expected a lot more from Innocent Grey overall.

Just now, littleshogun said:

I also should ask why Minori decided to released first story divided by 2 instead of just released it completely there (To be more blunt here, I'd disagree with minori's decision here)

The money required to do both isn't something they'd be able to reach based on Eden and Ef sales alone, which is probably why. 

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Hey, got this game on my wishlist, looking good.

My question is, will they release the next chapters, or did precisely this policy garner them measly sales? This isn't exactly the most anticipated VN ever.

Let's see... http://www.mangagamer.org/minori/

Things are going slow, it might be a while before they reach their Chapter 2 funding goal. MG will be releasing the upcoming Minori VN Trinoline. Perhaps the sales for that will go into this bucket as well.

On a related note, it seems that the English sales for Eden* are the highest sales figures for any Minori VN ever, according to Kouryuu. Steamspy puts the number of owners on Steam in the 60 - 75k range. That's not counting current sales made on MangaGamer.com but I believe everyone who bought it there prior to December 2015 received a Steam key so it likely covers the majority of sales there. 

This puts a little bit of perspective on the Japanese eroge scene, considering Minori is one of the higher profile eroge developers, and probably the one with the highest budgets (at least, in the pure VN space). 

2 minutes ago, novurdim said:

I'm still shocked they ask 200k of "clean" money for a localization of a relatively small game. Just how much would they demand for a new chapter of such a high-budger vn? A million?

1) Translation is expensive. Probably more expensive than you're imagining.

2) They're asking for $100k, not $200k.

3) They never said that every dollar would be spent on localization of that specific title. They most likely just want to make sure that the games aren't just profitable, but profitable enough to justify it over other games they could be translating instead. That means the series needs to meet certain sales expectations and such before they consider it worthwhile.

This isn't a crowdfund. They aren't asking people to give them money just for this. This is just a very transparent way for them to track their minori profits and the viability of translation of future Minori titles.

49 minutes ago, Decay said:

1) Translation is expensive. Probably more expensive than you're imagining.

No, I can easily imagine spending 200k on a relatively small title if they seriously pay for every single cent of that localization only with clean profits from other minori games. But considering how even the completely unexpected huge runaway success of Eden didn't get this funded, you can only question their sanity for why they didn't ask only for the part of the sum like Kickstarters usually do. Those get at best 80-90k when you deduct all the costs. And what if Eden sold only what was expected of it? Did they want to fund supipara 1-2 in five years? Not to mention I have a nudging feeling we don't see real numbers since they clearly want it funded "just in time" for another convention like the last time.

2) They're asking for $100k, not $200k.

It's a single not even lengthy release in 2 chapters, they are asking for 200.

3) They never said that every dollar would be spent on localization of that specific title.

They heavily implied it. It's borderline false advertising if they spend Eden profits elsewhere.

They most likely just want to make sure that the games aren't just profitable, but profitable enough to justify it over other games they could be translating instead. That means the series needs to meet certain sales expectations and such before they consider it worthwhile.

Then there was no point to begin with. Eden is popular due to a string of random events, supipara is not. Let's say Eden suddenly gives them another 400k but they use them on Trinoline instead because Supipara proved to be unprofitable with the first chapter. Sounds like a complete farce when you put it that way, doesn't it.

This isn't a crowdfund.

It's something as close as they could possibly think of. It's also a stimuli to make people buy more and earlier. I realize that I sound way too negative for the situation at hand but this pseudocrowdfund is mildly annoying and kinda useless at this point.

Edited by novurdim

8 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

http://www.mangagamer.org/minori/

more than 15k to Supipara chapter 2 announcment. Anyway, I don't think this series could be funded further. They could always try a kickstarter.

That's not a lot.  The next major Steam sale will probably be enough to push them over and get Supipara part 2 released.

Past that, however ... it starts looking much dicier.  After Supipara chapter 1 released, it didn't exactly burn up the charts.  Unless chapter 2 is a significant improvement, I would not count on chapter 3 coming anytime soon.

8 hours ago, novurdim said:

I'm still shocked they ask 200k of "clean" money for a localization of a relatively small game. Just how much would they demand for a new chapter of such a high-budger vn? A million?

That's 200K gross, not net.  That is, before all the expenses are deducted.  If you buy Eden for $20 on Steam, $20 goes on the counter never mind that Steam takes a significant cut of that sale.

Edited by Nandemonai

35 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

That's 200K gross, not net

Nothing on the site indicates that and I find it impossible to believe that with at least 60k-70k sold  copies of Eden alone they'd be sitting at 180k gross. Eden has never been sold for a dollar. 

1 hour ago, Chuee said:

Well, keep in mind further tiers involve creating more game content itself. The tiers probably aren't a good measure of the exact amount needed to fund the localization of each part. 

Maybe, but there's no indication of that either, so I doubt it. But it's interesting that their pretty much best-selling "serious" (i. e. not educational nippon or small Higurashi episode) game ever can't even fund a localization of the at best medium-sized Visual Novel. Either MG sits with millions of debt by now then, or, considering Doddler's "some localizations break even at three digits", minori are just that expensive to work with. I don't know which one is more scary. 

Edited by novurdim

Gross Profit != Gross Revenue. Gross profit is how much you get after operating costs. In this case, they are probably subtracting gross revenue by the cost of localization and licensing, and probably royalties and such as well. I'm not 100% sure on the formula they're using, because it seems like they're adding revenue from every sale starting from sale #1, even though they need to account for cost of localization and licensing which happens usually in full before the product goes on sale. 

Edited by Decay

Heh, I'm not good at concrete english definitions. But great, then they indeed planned to localize Supipara 1-2 in five years, curious. 

1 hour ago, Decay said:

I'm not 100% sure on the formula they're using,

The formula is probably called "let's randomly add to the sum little by little so we could announce both chapters at different conventions". 

But then again, even if we disregard baseless conspiracy theories, I believe by now it's pretty clear that this didn't work out as "a very transparent way for them to track their minori profits and the viability of translation of future Minori titles". Literally noone understands how it works, noone really wants to explain, as a result the numbers in our minds never add up, and even you assume that part of the profits most likely goes elsewhere which kills the whole point of such "transparency". Minori are ready to create a whole new big project because of the western Eden sales, but at the same time those together with disc Ef and Supipara Ch. 1 sales are nearly not enough to even fund a poor single Supipara localization. 

Edited by novurdim