Do you guys like pervy protagonists?

bogdankl

21 hours ago, Hanny said:

Any character is good if its well written.

I would totally read a 50h+ long vn about the most boring grandma on a quest for groceries. As long as it has cool writing, I don't see why would anyone have a problem with something as small as protags character traits.

I disagree.  Many things are well written, but don't appeal to me.  I'm not a big sentai fan, for instance.  Nothing against sentai shows, just not my cup of tea.

Sometimes I find that I don't like a character.  If that character is the protagonist, or one of the main characters, then this can cause anything from mild annoyance to outright loathing.  Occasionally a character will piss me off so much that I don't want to read / watch / play as them any longer.

Haruhi (from Haruhi) was one such character.  I hated her.  She basically poisoned the entire show for me.  I had to stop watching it.  That's also the reason I quit watching Ranma 1/2.  Almost everyone in the show is unlikeable and just a completely awful, horrible, morally reprehensible person.  And I don't find the amoral selfish antics of psychopathic maniacs to be very funny. 

Now, I'm not going to say that either one of these shows is bad, or even poorly written.  (Yeah, lots of people hate on Ranma 1/2, and the people I've talked to basically all agree it falls apart later on; but I quit watching after season 1, when a lot of people still like it.)  They're not, they're both well-respected shows that are popular for a reason, and that are rather well-written.  They're just ... not for me.

For some people, a pervy protagonist is going to be a dealbreaker.  For me, 'pervy' is not going to be a dealbreaker nearly as much as 'evil' will be, which is why I'm not going anywhere near Rance.

If we're talking about a Hentai VN, a pervy protagonist is preferable, just makes more sense. They can sometimes be over-the-top (like Rance) but that's fine as long as it matches the tone of the rest of the game. I suppose in a more romantic Hentai VN, a more "normal" protag would be better (I don't play those games though, so IDK).

I HATE the beta protagonist we typically get in VN's/Anime/Manga. I'm so tired of scenes with the protag brushing up against a girls breast and having a mental breakdown or the indirect kissing nonsense, among many other annoying tropes associated with that type of character.

47 minutes ago, Xilium said:

I HATE the beta protagonist we typically get in VN's/Anime/Manga. I'm so tired of scenes with the protag brushing up against a girls breast and having a mental breakdown or the indirect kissing nonsense, among many other annoying tropes associated with that type of character.

I can't even watch anime or read VN if the protag is a beta any more. 

For me there is a fine line.  I don't mind one that wants to peek at the girls at a bath house or seeing a girl changing, but if they start stealing panties (especially if they want to sniff them or use them to masterbate) I lose interest but may keep playing.  One that starts attacking girls is generally a deal breaker.