Do you guys like pervy protagonists?

bogdankl

One of the main reasons I did not play sengoku rance <yet> is because i hate the MC, hes just a giant ass perv, and there has been another... vn... that I dropped after 5 seconds because the protagonist was just a giant ass perv. But in spite of that, I started watching The seven deadly sins anime and the protagonist in that is also a giant ass perv but for some reason I don't hate him, I actually quite like Melodias, I think hes pretty cool, also on that note I read a part of... Goshujin-sama Daisuki :unsure: ... a long time ago... when I was yet to know vn's... and when... okay I'm guilty but in spite of that I found the novel to be... bearable, not good but decent and the protagonist being a perv didn't bother me that much.

Do you guys enjoy pervy protagonists? Am I just the only person in existence that hates Rance?

Just now, sanahtlig said:

The Venus Blood series tends to have perverted protagonists.  It's possible to integrate such a characteristic into a semi-serious story, but most games will use it as a pivot for comedy.  The Venus Blood games instead use it as a pivot for true depravity.

sounds like the kind of vn that I would seriously hate reading

Just now, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

I'd rather have them be a massive pervert than scream every time they see a nipple.  

so you would take rance over shirou from fate any day of the week huh? I can't agree with that opinion but i can relate and respect it, I would prefer them to be chill and not perverts but hey you can't have your cake and eat it

You propably never heard of womanizers or casanovas. What vn's often tend to miss are guys (and gals), who are good with women, but not in a lame, cliched sort of way and it's the kind of stuff we should see in vn's more often. We have either shitty perverts and all sorts of moral degenerates somehow winning over gals' hearts, or girls who fall for protags, just to have sex with them. Where are the true knights - real gentlemen - who'd be around them, not as predators, but companions, willing to go to any lengths to please them, make their lives brighter? Showering them with flowers, throwing their coats under their feet, willing to make sacrifices and protect them. I swear, japanese scenario writers are unable to write anything decent, that doesn't involve massive trope hyperboles.

That aside, there's nothing wrong with a bit of pervyness an every man is a pervert to an extent, otherwise humanity would be already extinct :makina:

40 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

The Venus Blood series tends to have perverted protagonists.  It's possible to integrate such a characteristic into a semi-serious story, but most games will use it as a pivot for comedy.  The Venus Blood games instead use it as a pivot for true depravity.

do tell more. Is it translated?

Anyways, usually they are obnoxious to the point of turning me off from the cast, but one notable exception is YU-NO: In that game the pervy attitude meshed really well with the protagonist's overall brash and carefree/careless personality. Seeing that develop late into the VN into something different and grander made it even better.

Rance as a character can be quite awesome, but requires a certain mindset to enjoy. Of course, those games are all rad and for the lulz. It's the foil to the typical otaku who can't date women to save his life. But if you're normal, you may find Rance overboard.

Compare with Knights of Xentar's protag, that was mocked even by prostitutes.

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

do tell more. Is it translated?

None of Ninetail's game are translated.  I did review Venus Blood Gaia, so you can get a sense of the story there.

The ero in Venus Blood Gaia revolves around the breeding system. Teofrand is a biologist who specializes in creating Ether-based life forms using organic matter harvested from defeated adversaries. He processes this matter into seeds, which he implants into suitable female hosts and fertilizes in various innovative ways. Different hosts have affinities for different seed types, and sexual pleasure during conception increases the potency of the offspring. Therefore sexual training is both a hobby and an area of intense academic interest for Teofrand—and he is nothing if not devoted to his research.

Each heroine has a more or less mandatory defloration scene where Teofrand compels them to take part in his research and enlists them as breeders for his army of super soldiers. This makes many of the scenes technically rape, but the actual situations are more nuanced. Subsequent scenes are optional. While the heroines are not thrilled with this role (at least initially), they don't threaten to mutiny either. They treat Teofrand's experiments as a necessary evil, and they tolerate his lecherous nature as the price to pay for working with him.

Corruption and tentacle impregnation are the main themes of the sex scenes. Each heroine's sexual training sequence forms a self-contained storyline showing their increasing acceptance of Teofrand, his experiments, and their own sexuality. For some heroines, completing some or all of this storyline is necessary to achieve their individual endings. While the focus is tentacles and corruption, the situations are varied and imaginative as Teofand strives to guide the heroines to ever-higher heights of sexual pleasure.

Different games in the series have different themes.  Hypno, for example, is focused on hypnosis and enslavement, and the protagonist is more ruthless and ambitious.

It kinda depends on the title, if it is something like Rance or Bunny Black in which the protagonist is certainly doing villainous things, but is not straight up evil I can usually enjoy. If it is something super fucking bleak, in which the Protagonist has nothing but animosity twords the heroines and are only fucking them to straight up ruin their lives, I have a harder time enjoying those titles.

I don't really mind it unless it's perverted to the extreme, I don't want them to be completely and utterly filthy perverts or scaredy cats that blush and hide at the first sign of anything.

All is good as long as it is not overwhelming, there has been cases where one extreme or the other happened to be good though but that really depends on the specific vn or how they're done.

13 hours ago, Narcosis said:

You propably never heard of womanizers or casanovas. What vn's often tend to miss are guys (and gals), who are good with women, but not in a lame, cliched sort of way and it's the kind of stuff we should see in vn's more often. We have either shitty perverts and all sorts of moral degenerates somehow winning over gals' hearts, or girls who fall for protags, just to have sex with them. Where are the true knights - real gentlemen - who'd be around them, not as predators, but companions, willing to go to any lengths to please them, make their lives brighter?

https://vndb.org/c36727

(not a protagonist, anyway)

For Rance you have to understand that he's suppose to be ridiculous.  It's a comedy and you shouldn't take it to heart.  The dude will literally save the world or destroy it for pussy.

I usually don't like over the top perv characters, but Alicesoft some how created a likeable character... at least to me.  I never laughed at a characters antics more than I have to Rance.  Guy is the biggest asshole, who acts like a man child, and has sex on his mind all the time.

He's basically the opposite of a typical anime hero and I love it.

Any character is good if its well written.

I would totally read a 50h+ long vn about the most boring grandma on a quest for groceries. As long as it has cool writing, I don't see why would anyone have a problem with something as small as protags character traits.