Hey, I'm the new one ;)

AtomCrafty

Hey there,

I'm fairly new to the world of anime and visual novels but what I've seen so far has been genuinely impressive and enjoyable.
I just finished watching "To Love-Ru" and played through my first VNs, namely "Ever17" and "D.C. II: Da Capo II".

When it comes to games I am a completionist, meaning that I want to unlock every last scene and collect everything.
That's why I've created a diagram depicting all scenes of the game (DC2) and how to get there. (http://i.imgur.com/HtEV4Pd.png)
Part of why I've finally decided to join fuwanovel.net is that I've been searching for a place to share this kind of content.

About myself
I'm a computer science student from Germany with a passion for taking apart every piece of software I can get my hands on.
I think I would enjoy working on a translation project, however due to my limited experience I'm not sure whether I'd be of great help to anyone ^^

-- AtomCrafty

Hello :) Welcome to Fuwa and by the way, since you are a computer science student and like to take apart pieces of software, you might be good at hacking the engines for visual novels :D It's a skill that is always needed when doing fan-translations, there is no fan-translation without hacked engine, I am sure you know of this too :D You mentioned how you don't know whether you would be of any help but I think you could be of great help :) Though I don't know whether in your statement you've meant that you don't have experience in Japanese translating or hacking VN software engine. I think there's less hackers than translators out there so you could be of great use if you could discover how the engine works and how to put translations in.

I did actually take a look at the internals of BGI (the engine used by DC 2) and managed to extract and decompile most files (used one of them to create my profile pic).

However whether I succeed at deciphering a certain file format is rather unpredictable, that's what I meant by 'lack of experience' :)

Da Capo II was released by MangaGamer, I don't know which engine it used but I know all later titles by MangaGamer were on Unity and I think Da Capo was released before Doddler joined  MangaGamer, though I am not sure, could be wrong though ... I know BGI holds the major files used in the VNs, that much I am certain of, if you can work with those BGI files then you already know how to extract and decompile all older MangaGamer titles (and maybe even newer VNs that are based on Unity if you know how Unity works) ... Though it's cool to know that but since those VNs are already translated I don't see much use of it except if some other purely Japanese VNs are in the same engine (sadly, from what I have seen, it seems MangaGamer is the only one that uses that engine that uses BGI files) ... From what I know, Kirikiri engine seems to be the best one for fan-translations, a bunch of Japanese VNs that use it have gotten translations, I intend to learn how to work with it first since I believe it's the most simple of the engines out there though I didn't really try fiddling with it as of yet ^^ ...

46 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Welcome to Fuwanovel. Nice diagram there by the way, although I'm still not look it closely though. Speaking about Da Capo, did you looking forward to Da Capo 3 English release here (I am)? For last word, hope you enjoy yourself and if you need VN Recommendation, just ask us here.

Ahahaha, wow, you are right, that diagram looks very detailed! :D I didn't bother checking it out until you mentioned it, now that I have looked at it, I can see what amount of work was put into it, that's really a lot of work if I may say so, congratulations to @AtomCrafty on completing it! :D I might come back to this thread one day again, to look at that diagram again when I start playing Da Capo II ... I still didn't play any of the MangaGamer titles besides "My Sex Slave is a Classmate", I can't wait to finish off all the G-Collection stuff first :D ... As for Da Capo III, I have heard it was being translated for so long, and that only recently the translation was finished, and now Doddler is working on the technical side of things ... I believe MangaGamer will release it either in December or in the beginning of the next year, Januar or February xD ...

@Infernoplex Hmm, I see... Unity won't be much of a problem as there are tons of tools available and it uses the .NET framework.

I've seen Kirikiri being referenced in a couple of threads already, so I'll probably take a closer look.

Anyways, thanks for the tips!

@littleshogun For now I still have the first part of the series to play but from what I've seen so far I'm definitely looking forward to it!

PS: I'm currently having some issues with my internet connection, so please excuse if I'm not replying immediately ^^

Edited by AtomCrafty

Yeah, Unity should not be problematic since it's used a lot lately, all indie games on Steam are lately only in the Unity engine ... One more VN engine worth mentioning is probably Ren'py, many VNs, especially OELVN seem to be in Ren'py, from what I have seen, it's the most simple VN engine out there, it should be a piece of cake fiddling with it since if I remember correctly, all files that the VN uses are almost always in the open (can be accessed in the game's directory) xD

As for Da Capo I, from what I have heard, it's not as good as Da Capo II, though I don't know for sure, I didn't read any of them. Be warned though that Da Capo I also has Kotori Love Ex P and that it incorporates additional stories for the original Da Capo I ... Those two should be worth >50 hours of reading from what I see here on their VNDB pages xD

If you want to read a very long hard sci-fi VN then look no further than this VN xD It might capture you like it captured me, it has a lot of computer and hacker-related stuff but overall, the VN is one big Mind Screw, I figured you might like it since you are a computer science student so that's why I am recommending it to you ... I will not say anything more about it, I don't like to spoil stuff :D

1 minute ago, ChaosRaven said:

Welcome to the forums. :rolleyes:

Impressive diagram you have there. You should give Yu-No a try some day since its walkthrough looks like this. ;)

Provided you don't succumb to madness midway, it might be right up your alley.

Admittedly, I didn't play it myself, but the walktrough still doesn't cease to impress me... 

O_________________O ... Suddenly, I am not sad for not being able to play Yu-No XD With that kind of walkthrough I feel like it's a miracle that I don't like the art and interface of Yu-No :)