Dies Irae Steam Confirmed (Prefundia Up Now)

Yuuko

It's difficult to compare Gahkthun with Tokyo Babel using Steam because Gahkthun came much later to Steam as it was released on MangaGamer's site. The percentage of sales is surely lower on Steam in case of Gahkthun than Tokyo Babel, because everyone who wanted to read the title straight after release had to buy it from MG's site. People who bought Tokyo Babel could choose between Steam and MG from the beginning.

Besides... 

SKotOzi.jpg

Look at this fluctuation. That isn't fluctuation in actual steam owners, that's fluctuation in Steamspy's reporting. One day they'll say it's 2100 plus or minus 1200, a few days later it's 950 plus or minus 600, then nine days later it's back up to being 2100 plus or minus 1200, and there's no way to know what's real. Steamspy is useful to get general ideas about some things, like we can see that Tokyo Babel has probably sold better than Fata Morgana has thus far, but please don't attempt to extrapolate actual sales figures from this kind of highly unreliable data. Games need to have far more sales to be able to be measured somewhat consistently.

4 minutes ago, Decay said:

Steamspy is definitely a form of speculation and it is known to be highly inaccurate when it comes to products with low amounts of sales (less than 10,000)

Speculation means commenting on something in the absence of real information.  No, SteamSpy is not speculation.  It might (well, okay, does) provide crappy data, but crappy data is still data :)

And yeah, okay, MangaGamer wishes that Gahkthun had been much more successful.  But the game didn't bomb badly enough that they gave up.  To me, that's the true measure of failure.  Brooktown High was a failure.

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

Besides... 

<snip>

Look at this fluctuation. That isn't fluctuation in actual steam owners, that's fluctuation in Steamspy's reporting. One day they'll say it's 2100 plus or minus 900, a few days later it's 950 plus or minus 500, then nine days later it's back up to being 2100 plus or minus 900, and there's no way to know what's real. Steamspy is useful to get general ideas about some things, like we can see that Tokyo Babel has probably sold better than Fata Morgana has thus far, but please don't attempt to extrapolate actual sales figures from this kind of highly unreliable data. Games need to have far more sales to be able to be measured somewhat consistently.

I haven't checked regularly enough to see that.  Point taken.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

Notice how they haven't really announced a new chuuni/action title at all this year? 

They announced Sorcery Jokers as well as Sona-Nyl, which I think are pretty firmly in this category.

I expect you're right and such games are mostly a combination of loss leaders and passion projects for them. But I suspect they're also, to a lesser extent, risky investments: the opportunity cost is high and the payout so far has always been low, but chuuni titles have the potential to appeal to a different market than do the nukige and moege that dominate the western VN scene. If they can successfully tap a new market with a game like Sorcery Jokers, say by pulling a bunch of chuuni anime watchers into their fold, it could be a pretty big win for MG.

17 minutes ago, Decay said:

Besides... 

SKotOzi.jpg

Look at this fluctuation. That isn't fluctuation in actual steam owners, that's fluctuation in Steamspy's reporting. One day they'll say it's 2100 plus or minus 1200, a few days later it's 950 plus or minus 600, then nine days later it's back up to being 2100 plus or minus 1200, and there's no way to know what's real. Steamspy is useful to get general ideas about some things, like we can see that Tokyo Babel has probably sold better than Fata Morgana has thus far, but please don't attempt to extrapolate actual sales figures from this kind of highly unreliable data. Games need to have far more sales to be able to be measured somewhat consistently.

please dont remind me of Fata Morgana's sales numbers :( 

Perhaps.  I know when Jast tried, years ago, to get into BL, they released the 2 games they initially announced, then completely dropped the genre.  And I know MG's more recent move into BL has already spawned follow-ups.  I also note that it's been years since MangaGamer released anything from Score or Liquid.

So it's too early to tell about Propeller; we'll know for sure, I guess, if no new Propeller games are ever released.  But like Fred the Barber said, MG announced at least 2 chuuni games this year (they might have announcements at Anime Atlanta), so I'm still skeptical that Tokyo Babel was a complete failure.

But yes.  I seem to have put entirely too much faith in SteamSpy's numbers.  Silly me.

To actually try to get back on topic for a minute (someone, uh, seem to have derailed it somehow ... ::whistles innocently::)

I'm a little confused by all the different versions.  Now, in VNDB, I see three separate versions of Dies Irae listed.  The original one seems to be Dies Irae Also Sprach Zarathustra, and then it was followed by Acta est Fabula in 2009 and Amantes amentes for PSP in 2012.  After doing some gravedigging in the old Jast USA forum archives I see that on original release, Dies Irae was controversial because a lot of stuff that had been announced wasn't actually in the game, and that Light said they'd release updates.

Would I be correct in guessing that Acta est Fabula added all that stuff?  So then what was added in Amantes amentes?  Is there a quick overview online somewhere about all the different versions?

4 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

Would I be correct in guessing that Acta est Fabula added all that stuff?  So then what was added in Amantes amentes?  Is there a quick overview online somewhere about all the different versions?

It's in the release notes on VNDB, which I mirrored in my list of censored eroge.

51 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

It's in the release notes on VNDB, which I mirrored in my list of censored eroge.

Interesting.  Your list points to Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~ Regular Edition which has a really nice summary.  I checked Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~ First Press Limited Edition, which has a one-line summary that gives about as much info as Dark Souls patch notes :)

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

I'm wondering about this:

USBKmfz.png

Are all those only h scene writters? And if not - what happened to their involvement and what was that?

nah they werent & most probably died of carnivorous hemorrhoids for them having created a monstrosity

8 hours ago, Decay said:

Notice how they haven't really announced a new chuuni/action title at all this year? 

What do you call Sorcery Jokers then?

I'm also somewhat surprised people are bringing up SteamSpy in this discussion. Galyonkin himself frequently says that there's close to no point in looking up numbers for games with less than 5k sales on SS. It simply can't adequately count them.

On 2016/8/28 at 0:17 PM, novurdim said:

What do you call Sorcery Jokers then?

I'm also somewhat surprised people are bringing up SteamSpy in this discussion. Galyonkin himself frequently says that there's close to no point in looking up numbers for games with less than 5k sales on SS. It simply can't adequately count them.

While he did indeed forget Sorcery Jokers you guys should also remember that it usually takes at least half a year between license acquisitions and their announcements. The effects of 2016 sales will probably be seen in 2017's AX/Otakon, not right now.

Maybe it should be also considered, that just because title X from a certain genre didn't sell well, doesn't necessarily mean that title Y from the same genre also won't sell well.

For instance, Yuzusoft's moege Senren x Banka probably sold 'slightly' more copies (> 44.000) than Frontwing's moege Corona Blossom in Japan.

And Tokyo Babel is not only an older title than Sorcery Jokers, but was also neither as well received nor as highly rated than Sorcery Joker's.

Just saying... :rimu:

24 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

When did I say that?! I think the context of my sentence should made it clear that I believe that it didn't sell well. Why else should I compare it with Senren x Banka?

If you want to employ irony correctly, I'd suggest following some basic writing principles, like not starting a new paragraph when the line directly depends on context from the previous line.

3 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

When did I say that?! I think the context of my sentence should made it clear that I believe that it didn't sell well. Why else should I compare it with Senren x Banka?

I had no problem understanding what you meant, but this is the internet.

You need to add dank memes for sentences like that. :Kappa:

15 hours ago, Conjueror said:

While he did indeed forget Sorcery Jokers you guys should also remember that it usually takes at least half a year between license acquisitions and their announcements. The effects of 2016 sales will probably be seen in 2017's AX/Otakon, not right now.

It's ... hard to predict what effect this will have.  Kara no Shoujo was, if I recall correctly, not a terribly good seller at first.  But MangaGamer really likes Innocent Grey, so they picked up Cartagra and KnS2.  If it was only about sales and profit we'd have, like, Softhouse Seal's entire catalog, and no more of this 'games that take almost 3 years to translate' stuff like Da Capo 3.

That is a really good point though.  I hadn't considered that.  Especially since Sorcery Jokers is from a new partner, it's always harder to get deals cut with new business partners.

1 hour ago, Nandemonai said:

It's ... hard to predict what effect this will have.  Kara no Shoujo was, if I recall correctly, not a terribly good seller at first.  But MangaGamer really likes Innocent Grey, so they picked up Cartagra and KnS2.  If it was only about sales and profit we'd have, like, Softhouse Seal's entire catalog, and no more of this 'games that take almost 3 years to translate' stuff like Da Capo 3.

That is a really good point though.  I hadn't considered that.  Especially since Sorcery Jokers is from a new partner, it's always harder to get deals cut with new business partners.

Well, MG is full of passionate people who are not driven entirely by profit. It's actually pretty crazy how much of critically acclaimed but business-wise risky titles they localized so far. I just pray they are able to keep it up since most of the stuff I really want to tl is in the pretty risky category too (please buy good games instead of Sakura Spirit, people). :(