Dies Irae Steam Confirmed (Prefundia Up Now)

Yuuko

24 minutes ago, novurdim said:

Meh, I'd say cropping of the event CGs is a bit more hurtful than that of some random backgrounds.

Depends on what they cut off from the event CG's. Cutting off Gonzou's head was a sin, I'll give you that. But if it's just an unimportant part of the background in an event CG, why should I care more about it than a normal background CC with sprites? Playing the whole VN with a black bar left and right isn't that great either, simply because it looks cropped - and it looks cropped 100% of the time.

Still, the perfect solution for everyone would be to just take the high res art assets with the same scale and an option setting for 16:9 or 4:3.

53 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

KKK is cool, but I'd be truly hyped only if they'd translate RURUR instead.

Let's hope Dies irae sells well enough to warrant more Light localizations. I'm more of a fantasy fan though so I'd rather have more Shinza than RURUR, but I have it on my backlog nonetheless. 

32 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Playing the whole VN with a black bar left and right isn't that great either, simply because it looks cropped - and it looks cropped 100% of the time.

Playing with bars on top and bottom isn't great, either. See what I did there? :makina:

The point is, past is in the past, present is here and we've yet to see the future. It's a common problem with older games; there are either various display issues or the game doesn't work at all. It is NOT possible to crop artwork well enough to fit both 16:9/10 and 4:3/5:4 aspect ratios, you have to chose. The only thing left is preparing a build with art assets for both, but this means almost 2x the size of stored graphics... and a lot of work, including hugeee production costs. It's quite peculiar, but I've rarely seen studios, actually archiving all the production assets, which is mindboogling. Most often, they get lost with time or various copyright/legal issues prevent them from being stored/re-used (especially cases, when you work with freelancers and they aren't working on a plain contract, but more of a contribution). most often, these change with time and aren't able to work on a reneval version anymore, or take their work assets away with them, meaning the chances for a possible redraw/corrections become slim.

26 minutes ago, Rose said:

Let's hope Dies irae sells well enough to warrant more Light localizations. I'm more of a fantasy fan though so I'd rather have more Shinza than RURUR, but I have it on my backlog nonetheless. 

I personally find RURUR more interesting and better than Dies or KKK. Why? Dies Irae concerns topics and subjects which are - in fact - truly exotic to most japanese (and us), while KKK is a folklore tale reminiscent of ancient japanese classics and something most western players (not talking about weebs here) will have a hard time getting into. RURUR is basically a semi-hard sci-fi adaptation of The Little Prince, only for adults :makina:

9 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

I personally find RURUR more interesting and better than Dies or KKK. Why? Dies Irae concerns topics and subjects which are - in fact - truly exotic to most japanese (and us), while KKK is a folklore tale reminiscent of ancient japanese classics and something most western players (not talking about weebs here) will have a hard time getting into. RURUR is basically a semi-hard sci-fi adaptation of The Little Prince, only for adults :makina:

Well, guess I now know the next title I should attempt to read. Thanks Narcosis.

2 hours ago, Narcosis said:

The point is, past is in the past, present is here and we've yet to see the future. It's a common problem with older games; there are either various display issues or the game doesn't work at all. It is NOT possible to crop artwork well enough to fit both 16:9/10 and 4:3/5:4 aspect ratios, you have to chose. The only thing left is preparing a build with art assets for both, but this means almost 2x the size of stored graphics... and a lot of work, including hugeee production costs. It's quite peculiar, but I've rarely seen studios, actually archiving all the production assets, which is mindboogling. Most often, they get lost with time or various copyright/legal issues prevent them from being stored/re-used (especially cases, when you work with freelancers and they aren't working on a plain contract, but more of a contribution). most often, these change with time and aren't able to work on a reneval version anymore, or take their work assets away with them, meaning the chances for a possible redraw/corrections become slim.

The suggestion was only for older versions of course since it doesn't make sense to support 4:3 anymore today for a new title. But if old art assets have this ratio it can't be changed anymore. In that case they could just add a zoom factor so the 4:3 is zoomed in to cover the whole 16:9 area. Programming that is piece of cake, especially considering that Unity gets more and more popular amongst VN developers. And there are already VN's with full HD 1920x1080 images out there so the art assets for an older title will hardly be a problem because they've still lower resolutions. 

6 minutes ago, Conjueror said:

Well, Dies already has a PSP port where everything is 16:9 (not sure if it's cropped or whatever; I don't think I ever notice these things).

Probably safe to assume (if this really is coming to steam) it will be a port of the psp version than - it would neatly take care of several perceived issues all at once.

2 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Probably safe to assume (if this really is coming to steam) it will be a port of the psp version than - it would neatly take care of several perceived issues all at once.

They are also making Vita, Android, and iOS versions.

Depending on how much money they've been given, and what are their priorities at the moment, I'd estimate around one/one and a half to two years and more and that's with translators working primarily only on Dies Irae. Dies is not only long, it's very difficult and it will require numerous script revisions to maintain a high level of translation quality. Still, I'd prefer them to take time and do their best, rather than rush things. After all, the rights have been acquired and we will get it, sooner or later :sachi:

There's really no need to rush.

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

Depending on how much money they've been given, and what are their priorities at the moment, I'd estimate around one/one and a half to two years and more and that's with translators working primarily only on Dies Irae. Dies is not only long, it's very difficult and it will require numerous script revisions to maintain a high level of translation quality. Still, I'd prefer them to take time and do their best, rather than rush things. After all, the rights have been acquired and we will get it, sooner or later :sachi:

There's really no need to rush.

The translation shouldn't take that long, they are already translating it. The actual release is another thing, though.

8 minutes ago, Decay said:

Why hello there, Kickstarter logo.

Kinda funny how unexistent this whole announcement's hype has been. Random banner on a tweet and then suddenly kickstarter logo. The whole text is in JP even, are they planning on making the Japanese fans fund it for us? :wahaha:

8 hours ago, Rose said:

Kinda funny how unexistent this whole announcement's hype has been. Random banner on a tweet and then suddenly kickstarter logo. The whole text is in JP even, are they planning on making the Japanese fans fund it for us? :wahaha:

Maybe the "announcement" is aimed at other Japanese companies rather than English users?  Sort of like bragging about your career aspirations to your coworkers?

21 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Maybe the "announcement" is aimed at other Japanese companies rather than English users?  Sort of like bragging about your career aspirations to your coworkers?

Certainly can't deny that possibility as they still havent given us an English announce about this yet