Jump to content

Dies Irae Steam Confirmed (Prefundia Up Now)


Yuuko
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Rooke said:

It's a really good idea, TBH. The amount of hype Dies Irae has received, much of it because people like to parrot stuff other people say on 4chan, means it's impossible for Dies Irae to live up to community expectations.

A lot of fiction contain 'philosophical' elements. Why? Because every person has their own thoughts, their own philosophy, their own reasoning that makes sense of the world. Much of the time even when the author doesn't realise it, that stuff gets inserted into their work. 

Sometimes this gets hyped up into more than it is. Like everything else, it's how it's done not it is there.

With the amount of hype it has, it will be a failure for some people, yes. You can't start playing it by thinking it's the best thing to ever exist (even though I say it is all the time, lol.)

That said, the game is very good. Its biggest strength is how well it's written, in my opinion, though it may also be its cast of antagonists, all of which are very interesting and well done (except, uh, Spinne. He's cool, though.) sometimes you'll even find yourself rooting for them, since Ren is nice, but can be quite boring in comparison.

As for failures, Kasumi's route as a whole is just... Ugh. Why is that thing even there, I have no idea. It's also what most people will play first, and it's complete garbage (ok, maybe not that bad. Still...)

It's also a story with a very large scale, which is something that may contribute to the hype, I guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still, DI hype.

 

Hope y'all also get KKK some day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dies Irae imo is a charage with bits of action - people expecting MLA style action packed mind-bending sci-fi/fantasy will be severely disappointed.

I personally find the extra stories better than the main arcs as it becomes quite predictable.

I'll be looking forward to how they translate Merculius' monologues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kastel preety much nailed it with his wall of tweets a while ago; it's the kind of game, which will truly distance away it's biggest western fanbase, mainly because it's not about the coolness or story, but writing. Therefore - if you're an avid reader, you'll enjoy Dies, but if you're there because you've jumped on the hype bandwagon and expect a chuuni-tastic animey tale, you'll be disappointed; it's not where it's strength lies within.

I presume if not for such high production value, Dies Irae would more propably end up as an underappreciated gem of sorts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

Kastel preety much nailed it with his wall of tweets a while ago; it's the kind of game, which will truly distance away it's biggest western fanbase, mainly because it's not about the coolness or story, but writing. Therefore - if you're an avid reader, you'll enjoy Dies, but if you're there because you've jumped on the hype bandwagon and expect a chuuni-tastic animey tale, you'll be disappointed; it's not where it's strength lies within.

I presume if not for such high production value, Dies Irae would more propably end up as an underappreciated gem of sorts.

So does that mean it's pretty much the Chuuni version of a Sakurai game with the prose > everything else?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ChaosRaven said:

So does that mean it's pretty much the Chuuni version of a Sakurai game with the prose > everything else?!

Not really, but preety close. The only exception being Masada, who's a lot more skilled in storytelling and conveying messages through their writing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tawm said:

No sexual content aside, the version they're releasing in the west has high resolution 4:3 assets cropped to 16:9. That's a far greater crime than the lack of pee-pees and vagos.

Awww fuck I misread that part as 1280x960 :/ That's not good at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

now people start crying about, oh no it's going to be cropped without knowing if the new engine might enable 16:9 and 4:3 or that they even might redraw the CGs for the 16:9.

and even if it crops, let them. I also didn't understand why it was a problem with G-senjou cause if you never saw the original one you wouldn't complain, and for my knowledge nothing important was cut in the CGs. but people always need to complain about something I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Asonn said:

now people start crying about, oh no it's going to be cropped without knowing if the new engine might enable 16:9 and 4:3 or that they even might redraw the CGs for the 16:9.

Is there a single VN for which the CG were redrawn to accommodate a new aspect ratio (excluding remakes where the art was redrawn entirely from scratch)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kaguya said:

Hope y'all also get KKK some day.

Heh, I'd honestly be more hyped about a KKK release, the kanji spam in that game is real. Then again, it's a good thing I'll be able to read DI in a language I can actually read properly, my brain still can only take so much JP before it starts hurting. Looking forward to talking with you about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Asonn said:

and even if it crops, let them. I also didn't understand why it was a problem with G-senjou cause if you never saw the original one you wouldn't complain, and for my knowledge nothing important was cut in the CGs. but people always need to complain about something I guess. 

It was an obvious upscale, with some subtle distortions present - and that's coming from someone two steps from total blindness. :makina:  Though I'll admit knowing the original visuals may have drawn my attention to the differences moreso~

 

http://waifu2x.udp.jp/ anyone? :sachi:

 

EDIT: Sorry, that's me derailing the thread :P, I should try and keep it focused on Dies~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting news here, although obviously we didn't knew when it'll be happen of course. Dies Irae, for now I could only comment that this game full of battle scene, Moogy said that it was one of hard to translate VN, and our Clephas like this (His avatar was Dies Irae villain). In regard of release, I wouldn't complain about lack of sex scene here because Dies Irae was also released at PSP in the past and about the cropping here, I wouldn't know of how much difference it will make between original and translation here, so I wouldn't complain about the cropping here too of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read the non 18+ version and it didn't look like anything was missing. There were one or two scene where I thought if this was the adult version they would have put an h-scene right about here but other than that nothing felt missing. The version I played had a few extra stories which are way more interesting than any h-scene.

Let's hope they don't crop the images but simply upscale them. Light did a high res vn that was in 4:3 so I don't see why they can't do that with Dies Irae either. It's their most popular game so I think they will handle this stuff with great care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to clarify some things about the Steam version of G-Senjou.

This is an image of the evil, cropped and upscaled Steam version:

Spoiler

ss_58bd08bc4b57687188ac464e15c2c7379c311

And this is an image of the 'uncropped' and 'unscaled' original: (Only compare the backgrounds!)

Spoiler

maou-12.jpg

Ooooops... :o

Yeah, the truth is that the original version was a cropped crap version too. And I prefer the high-res crap version over the low-res crap version.

And considering Dies, I'll preserve judgement until I've seen the high-res version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Asimmacovski said:

l heard that you need to study German philosophy for 3-4 years to fully appreciate Dies irae, maybe if I start reading Nietzsche now I'll make it in time for the steam release.

The elitist circlejerk who likes to say this can't even read German. And we all know that you can only appreciate a work of literature when you read it in its original language.
Don't trust people who read English translations!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rose said:

Heh, I'd honestly be more hyped about a KKK release, the kanji spam in that game is real. Then again, it's a good thing I'll be able to read DI in a language I can actually read properly, my brain still can only take so much JP before it starts hurting. Looking forward to talking with you about it.

KKK is cool, but I'd be truly hyped only if they'd translate RURUR instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tyrosyn said:

The elitist circlejerk who likes to say this can't even read German. And we all know that you can only appreciate a work of literature when you read it in its original language.
Don't trust people who read English translations!

Something, something, something, inadequate reading comprehension. Something, something, something, surface level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tyrosyn said:

The elitist circlejerk who likes to say this can't even read German. And we all know that you can only appreciate a work of literature when you read it in its original language.
Don't trust people who read English translations!

There's so much irony in this comment, it hurts my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...