[DEVLOG] Dark Forest: Reborn – nextgen romance&adventure oriented text-based game

DarkForestCrow

Salut! Thanks if you think our concept is cool.

It's always nice to meet a colleague. Both Inform7 and Twine are fine tools.

We use our own toolset that is a combination of natural language processing utilities + core of one modern chatbot/artificial assistant as a base for NPCs. Game produced with this toolset will look like classic text adventure (ie you enter some text, game outputs some text and so on) but with some additional features that you cannot achieve with Inform7 or Inform6 or with Twine - some features I described in announcement, some will be revealed in our development blog and here later.

Stay tuned!

Salut all, Dark Forest: Reborn developers here again.
Article about modern text adventures development. If you are developing a game that is based on text (including visual novels), ideas of this article will be useful for you. 

I have some questions to visual novels fans and developers there so it would be interesting to know your opinion.

Also, these ideas are in the heart of Dark Forest: Reborn now so you may think it as a prequel to our devlog.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dark-forest-reborn/tutorials/modern-text-based-adventure-games-development

Sorry for lack of updates. Our game is in heavy development. Here's the news:

1.) As you can see, we improved visual design of our system. It supports different color schemes.

2.) Second NPC that will support natural language interactions revealed: Lady Taliet.

Taliet_Name.gif

Taliet_General.gif

What do you think?

More details here.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a bit of a challenging type of game to play, having to remember all the details and ways of interactions, but it's cool what you're making.

The two most important things for me in this kind of game, I think, after story, are consistency (are the behaviors and actions of the characters consistent with each other, at least to a reasonable degree), and user experience (Is it easy to figure out what actions I can try?)

Also, branching that serves to reveal more about the characters or story is awesome. You can tell I'm more a fan of narrative objectives, rather than gamey sandbox ones, like dwarf fortress, etc.