Recommended Drawing Tablet?

Arsudar

Currently I'm interest in getting a Drawing Tablet for my hobby (price range about 150$). Sadly I dun have any experience with this kind of product so I dunno which one is good to get. Anyone has experience with drawing tablet before? Really need some recommendations, and thanks! :D

You should check Wacom ONE. You seriously don't need anything else. Alternatively, if you're interested in decent free software bundled with your tablet to start drawing out of the box, there are the ART and DRAW series, which aren't all that more expensive.

That aside, Huion is slowly growing to become a decent competitor to Wacom, offering similiar quality at more affordable prices, especially in terms of professional tablets.

As for more specific information, current gen tablets aren't really all that different, when it comes to quality. An entry level Wacom tablet's (like One or Art series) only difference between a professional one (Wacom Pro, Intuos) is the pressure sensivity (twice as much in case of Intuos tablets), additional functionality (like the control wheel and additional buttons, mostly useless), smart touch support (useless in general) and usually far larger workspaces; the rest of the tech is nearly the same. In fact, One tablets are so good, you're basically getting a thinned-down version of Intuos for a friction of it's price.

As for workspace, it's a matter of personal preference; the only reason you should be concerned about getting a large tablet is when you're working either as a CAD designer, or professional artist dealing with ultra huge resolutions and a lot of detail. Large tablets generally help with such work; for standard drawing, including anime-styled art, you don't really need anything above a medium-sized tablet. Small tablets have their benefits, but remain too small for drawing in overall, being a better choice in case of picture editing.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:10 PM, Narcosis said:

You should check Wacom ONE. You seriously don't need anything else. Alternatively, if you're interested in decent free software bundled with your tablet to start drawing out of the box, there are the ART and DRAW series, which aren't all that more expensive.

That aside, Huion is slowly growing to become a decent competitor to Wacom, offering similiar quality at more affordable prices, especially in terms of professional tablets.

As for more specific information, current gen tablets aren't really all that different, when it comes to quality. An entry level Wacom tablet's (like One or Art series) only difference between a professional one (Wacom Pro, Intuos) is the pressure sensivity (twice as much in case of Intuos tablets), additional functionality (like the control wheel and additional buttons, mostly useless), smart touch support (useless in general) and usually far larger workspaces; the rest of the tech is nearly the same. In fact, One tablets are so good, you're basically getting a thinned-down version of Intuos for a friction of it's price.

As for workspace, it's a matter of personal preference; the only reason you should be concerned about getting a large tablet is when you're working either as a CAD designer, or professional artist dealing with ultra huge resolutions and a lot of detail. Large tablets generally help with such work; for standard drawing, including anime-styled art, you don't really need anything above a medium-sized tablet. Small tablets have their benefits, but remain too small for drawing in overall, being a better choice in case of picture editing.

WoW Thanks.

Personally I want a Drawing Tablet for anime-ist drawing and cards drawing so small one may not be a good choice.

It seems Wacom dominates this market because for most of the time I have only seen Wacom recommendation.

1 hour ago, Arsudar said:

WoW Thanks.

Personally I want a Drawing Tablet for anime-ist drawing and cards drawing so small one may not be a good choice.

It seems Wacom dominates this market because for most of the time I have only seen Wacom recommendation.

That's because WACOM excells at producing high quality tablets and continues to keep it's well-established position on the market. Not saying there were no other good tablets, made by different companies. A while ago, Pentagram produced excellent entry and mid grade tablets for 5:4 monitor setups; Trust has those Flex tablets, which cost around 20£ and are okayish, especially for beginners (flexible mat is good, too), but in overall - nowadays it's either WACOM or Huion; those companies simply don't have any other competition on the market than themselves and whatever they produce - from entry level to professional tablets - are always excellent products.

On 8/19/2016 at 1:32 AM, Narcosis said:

That's because WACOM excells at producing high quality tablets and continues to keep it's well-established position on the market. Not saying there were no other good tablets, made by different companies. A while ago, Pentagram produced excellent entry and mid grade tablets for 5:4 monitor setups; Trust has those Flex tablets, which cost around 20£ and are okayish, especially for beginners (flexible mat is good, too), but in overall - nowadays it's either WACOM or Huion; those companies simply don't have any other competition on the market than themselves and whatever they produce - from entry level to professional tablets - are always excellent products.

Seems you know a lot about this :D. Thanks for the information.

• 4 years later...

Depending on where you live, it might be worth checking those Wacom competitors that have sprung up in recent years. Brands like Huion, XP-PEN etc. have decent offerings in under $100/€100 range. I'd recommend you check reviews on Youtube for details on exact model. XP-PEN's pro-level Deco Line Drawing Tablet is nowadays  well under $100. Actually, we have one ( Deco 01 V2 ) for my daughter.

But those things aside, I think the deciding factor is in my experience the draw area size - Some people are genuinely happy with a small tablet size, but some require bigger one. It might be a good idea to frame the actual draw area on paper and try to get a feel of the available area (if you can't test an actual model.)