Hapymaher Discussion Thread (Mangagamer Licensed)

Clephas

Being one of the voices that pushes this VN the most loudly as Purple Soft's single best work (by several degrees), I was immensely glad to see that this was getting a localization from Mangagamer.  This was my VN of the Year for 2013 and it has by far the best soundtrack I've ever seen in a VN, period.  Not only that, but I've never come across a VN that utilized its soundtrack so effectively to stimulate emotion in-sync with the story before, so it was in some ways my awakening to the fact that there were still music directors who could 'do the work' around outside of the makers of the Drakengard and Nier jrpg series. 

This VN focuses on the reality-blurring experiences of Tohru, a young man who sees nothing but lucid dreams (dreams where you are aware that you are in a dream) and suffers from physical and mental health issues as a result, and his group of female friends/acquaintances.  The VN itself is something of a mindfuck experience, mostly because the line between dreams and reality is so vague to the protagonist himself. 

If you want my translation of the first scene, go here (the narrated videos are dead, but meh):

I also did introductions for the protagonist and Maia, two of the major characters.

This is terrific news; I've been hearing a lot of good things about this VN from various sources, and I actually was going to play it in Japanese fairly soonish, but in the end, this happened, and it's way better from my original plan.

I'm immensely hyped for this VN, more hyped than I've been in a long time.

Can't wait

And I installed the Japanese version just yesterday - what an odd turn of events... :lol:

Glad I decided to start reading Shin Kohime Musou first. Still, I guess I will read Mirai Nostalgia instead, since I'm a bit fixated on reading a Purple Software title now. I guess if Sekai or MG will license another Purple Software title, it will either be the fan disc Hapymaher -Fragmentation Dream- or their newest title Amatsutsumi.

I feel in love With Hapymaher first time I see it on VNDB and knew it was VN for me, so I was disspointed when I couldn't read it since I don't understand Japansk.

So I'm very happy Mangagamer are licensed Hapymaher, self at I know it would take long time before I can read and play Hapymaher.

Reading the VNDB synopsis, this sounds right up my alley. Was thinking of reading this in Japanese but I suppose I'll wait for the translation now.

You're getting me hyped Clephas, how well a VN utilizes the soundtrack to stimulate emotion is a big factor in how much I'll like it, so now my expectations are even higher for this :P 

Thanks for your opinion here, Clephas. Of course I was looking forward to this series, but considering that we still didn't knew about either the progress or how fast the translation process I would say that to bring this overseas it will take long time here. I'll definitely keep my eye on the progress of translation for Hapymaher here.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this turned into a two or three year project, so don't hold your breath.  The game itself is pretty long and the narration is complex, so I imagine that, if they want to release a reasonable-quality product, they'll have to at least spend time on a second run once the initial translation is over. 

Well, I could try to be patient here. Although looking at their pattern for the announcement maybe I could hope this will be released in one year, if only that was my wishful thinking (Of course it depend on the speed of the translation and the work behind the engine though). At most I expect to see this in 2020, and I knew that it'll be long time here.

• 3 weeks later...

Already look at this in the Japanese version, and I could comment a little here. The size for this game was surprisingly low (Around 3.5 or so GB, while I expected something like 7 GB to be honest here). You could also play this on English locale, so I think there's should be no need to port it to the engine that was suitable for English locale (I didn't knew about scripting here to much to be honest). For textbox here, you could change it to ADV mode (Usual VN Interface) here. Hapymaher here also had same feature as Noble Works and Dracu Riot here (Skip to next choice and replay the previous scenes, and the replay was also divided per chapter). Overall, I didn't had the complain for the engine here, and the translation progress here was fast here (Or to be exact the translation was already in progress before the announcement) with currently 46.5% translated and 24% edited. That's all for my first look at Hapymaher here.

PS - Looking forward to translated version of Hapymaher here.

Edited by littleshogun

• 1 year later...

Since we already have the exact release date announcement, rather than make another thread I decided to bump mod Clephas thread in regard of this. To me it's definitely the good news here, so I would wait until July 12th later. Feel free to talk what expectation (Or experience) that you have in regard of Hapymaher. Oh, and here's the tweet from Mangagamer for the proof below.

https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/1007110766909157376

36 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

I'm excited since you said Hapymaher was even better than Chrono Clock which I also enjoyed a lot :mare:

What if I say that Hapy Maher has been the worst VN I have ever read based on the 3 first routes

Pretty hyped about this one for a change. I waited a long time for it. :mare:

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Though, some reviews worry me quite a bit.

Well, I'm not really worried about this one, since my tastes in VN's seem rather different from his. I mean, he also considers Kara no Shoujo just an average VN while Himawari is the best kamige ever written for him. That's pretty much the complete opposite of my opinion. :michiru:

That's not to say I'd expect Hapymaher to be perfect. It'll most likely have similar flaws like Chrono Clock had, although I do expect it to be better.

Perhaps what I can say is that don't expect too much if we speak about this, since apparently some people didn't like the MC out there. So for this VN let's just said that I'm just put it in the middle if I talk about expectation here ie didn't expect too much, although I'm still hapy (Sorry for the pun) for this announcement though. Hopefully this VN will offer more than just the heroines costume in the dream world, which by looking at the CG viewer site is a waste that we didn't have sex scenes with the heroines dream world costume (Other than Alice's) lol. I guess the staff realized this particular 'problem' and fixed that in the FD XD.

Edited by littleshogun

17 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Pretty hyped about this one for a change. I waited a long time for it. :mare:

Well, I'm not really worried about this one, since my tastes in VN's seem rather different from his. I mean, he also considers Kara no Shoujo just an average VN while Himawari is the best kamige ever written for him. That's pretty much the complete opposite of my opinion. :michiru:

That's not to say I'd expect Hapymaher to be perfect. It'll most likely have similar flaws like Chrono Clock had, although I do expect it to be better.

Yep, this vn will likely grind my gears.

On 2018. 06. 15. at 6:15 PM, littleshogun said:

Perhaps what I can say is that don't expect too much if we speak about this, since apparently some people didn't like the MC out there.

Since this is the first time I hear about this game I'm curious why do people dislike the MC? (only if this can be answered whitout spoilers :D )