What made you enjoy Princess Evangile? And what made you enjoy Grisaia?

Nuka

princess evangile is lighter than grisaia but since you dont mind that, i would still go with PE. grisaia is a pretty heavy vn. best of luck! :)

guess i didnt really answer your question. i thought pe was a very nice vn. it may not be the best in the world but i think it is very enjoyable with its characters and setup. i recommend it.

i didnt really like grisaia all that much. the biggest distraction was the translation. i would see tons of unnecessary expressions and lots of stuff thrown in there to give the vn more personality but it only distracted me. it was alos really hyped up for me with statements like "i guarantee youll love it more thanmaji de watashi ni koi shinasai" which is my second favorite vn of all time so it had a lot to live up to. i did like the characters but the routes not so much. i still recommend it.

Haven't read PE yet and can't say anything about it. As for Grisaia, I guess, I liked that it has interesting characters and nice comedy in the common route, and shows that there might be something extremely wrong in a person's head if he or she starts acting like a VN archetype. Well, considering the last part, I am not sure if it's a good idea to play it if you are new to VNs.

Well, I'd be for PE, because I'm not too good for sad/heavy VNs (I'm too weak), so, If you're looking for a good time, PE. If you want a more strong story with a part of love, Grisaia.

Majikoi is lighthearted like PE, but it involves overpowered characters, but the focus is in romance. If you're up for it, you should try.

Reading PE now, it's not all that bad. It's like the Shomin Sample anime to be honest. Just no Karen :(
Grisia was long, but ok. It's more serious and dramatic in nature than PE, so starting out, you may not like it. What VN's have you read & enjoyed so far? might help decide which to suggest better.

Grisaia is a far more solid game, all around and on every level.  However, in exchange the actual content is often much heavier emotionally an intellectually.  If you want a rest and can stand the drivel, PE might be a better choice, though.

Princess Evangile is one of the few games that I've dropped because I wasn't enjoying it. The most off-putting thing for me was the music; it's terrible. I love music and soundtracks, but I'm actually really easy to please. I've literally never heard any other VN soundtrack that I disliked, but Princess Evangile somehow managed it. I finished one route and then walked away; the whole thing was just very bland.

Grisaia is pretty great IMO, but it's pretty divisive, as you can see here, and Grisaia and Princess Evangile are extremely different games in terms of their tone and themes. I thoroughly enjoyed the Grisaia common route, especially, which is very light; the later drama in the routes was a fair bit heavier/darker. Grisaia's characters are great, so if that's what your top priority, you're probably on the right track there.

If you're worried about the heavy/dark stuff, and you're looking for something lighthearted with H scenes, you can do a lot better than Princess Evangile. I'd point out Karakara as a very recent release which meets those criteria, and which I thoroughly enjoyed, mostly because of likeable characters, interesting setting, a short but respectable plot, and lovely art, in that order. The game is quite short, though. I think it took me 3 or 4 hours.

Grisaia is overhyped, over inflated and has one of the lamest, overpowered, nonsensical protagonists ever. That said, it has good character interaction and :makina: is adorable. If you can overlook complete lack of logic and a Deus Ex Machina protagonist, there's some decent comedy and a whole lot of disappointing heroine routes.

Evangile is cute fluff. Not overly deep. A bit sappy, and the most interesting girl in the story doesn't get a route. It's okay, not great.

Grisaia is one of the few VNs where I enjoyed the common route more than anything else in it. It's filled with random events, likeable characters and smug jokes which I really liked. Sadly once you get to the 2nd half/lock into a heroin it gets too serious for me and my interest in it was depleting fast. Also the protagonist is badly written and I could have cared less about him but overall it's an enjoyable VN.

I haven't read Princess Evangile.

10 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Princess Evangile is one of the few games that I've dropped because I wasn't enjoying it. The most off-putting thing for me was the music; it's terrible. I love music and soundtracks, but I'm actually really easy to please. I've literally never heard any other VN soundtrack that I disliked, but Princess Evangile somehow managed it. I finished one route and then walked away; the whole thing was just very bland.

On the flipside of this (I love a good soundtrack too), I can listen to the Grisaia soundtrack all day long - and for that matter I have.

I personally really enjoyed Grisaia, though I'll agree that the plotline is... completely batshit in its conception. Like, it's not 'ZOMGGG I'M SO RANDOMMM RAWR' but there's just themes, occurrences and dialogues that would just never happen. But then, it's a visual novel, so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't have to stay within the planes of reality (like, this is a thing [NSFW depending on vndb settings]) Personally, I really like the protagonist too, which was a major +1.

Haven't played Princess Evangile, but the plot premise sounds fucking revolting :makina:

Princess Evangile has a special way of telling a story. Makes things one minute seem great and the next shit hits the fan. It was actually the first visual novel I've ever read and I've really enjoyed it. Some characters however just really annoyed me throughout the story (mainly the damn adults, I'm looking at you headmaster) because of how they tried to plot against the MC. EDIT : Forgot to add somehow but Sister Mishima should have a route. Hilarious nun, I actually really liked her <3 :sacchan:

Spoiler

Good thing is some endings (or in the common route) show those characters in a better light making all that annoyance disappear.

Overall, great game looking forward to playing the fan disk. 

Grisaia was an interesting visual novel series, interesting indeed. The main character is more bad ass than any of the other visual novels I've read. Very long in length. I liked how throughout the first game it really made me want to figure out who Yuuji actually is, his past and etc. Obviously, he isn't a normal teen after reading the first visual novel. The characters were all pretty unique none that you'd really find in your average visual novel and I found the common route to be pretty damn funny. Not too sure about the games after that as I have only watched the anime of the last two. (Ooh the next game out released recently in english :)). Going off the anime the second game goes back in time to young Yuuji which shows in depth Yuuji's past which I must say is...

Spoiler

Pretty sad, no child should go through such a horrible experience with their parents and then be forced into serving as an assassin. His army life was tormented by his past making it hard for him to shoot people. Which he got over in the end. Not as long as the first game but still good. 

The third game is showdown time. I loved the final as it really ties up everything in the end with Yuuji...

Spoiler

Somehow living with a extreme wound. (Don't ask me how he survived, no one knows :sachi:)

I did notice some differences between both the anime and the game for example... 

Spoiler

The game you must choose between killing :makina:'s mum or letting her live right? If you kill her, Yuuji dies. If you let her live, Yuuji loses an arm from what I remember. In the anime he kills her and lives with no injuries. Pretty major differences to be honest but obviously it was so in the anime they could show all routes. It wouldn't be surprising if they are more changes. I need to play the rest of the games.

Overall, amazing game. I enjoyed reading it and never got bored.