Would you like to live in Japan?

Clephas

I'd like to live in japan only if I'd own a successful business operated at my own accordance (yeah, I know that's near impossible) or enough money to live jobless. I know I won't absoluetly blend with their society otherwise. Fort exhample, it would be a great place to go after retirement (pinstead of Portugal, Tenerife, or Blugaria..., many italian people go there after retirement).

No I wouldn't. The language isn't quite a barrier -I think I could learn it if I did a proper training course, since I have some notions and it doesn't look that hard, leaving writing kanji aside.

The thing is whether I'd enjoy Japanese culture first-hand, and dealing with Japanese people. Plus, it's a country brimming with stress problems, and I'd need to work, and being a foreigner, it wouldn't be that easy, there are better options (for example... English speaking countries such as Australia/New Zealand, the USA or Canada).

It always shocks me how many people find the idea of living in a foreign country as an adverse idea. I suppose it takes a feeling of disgust and rejection from your own culture to really want to escape it for another. Its in conversations like this one, which always remind me that the expat life style found me, not the other way around. Although I'm not an expat yet, still working towards that dream. 

8 hours ago, Zalor said:

It always shocks me how many people find the idea of living in a foreign country as an adverse idea. I suppose it takes a feeling of disgust and rejection from your own culture to really want to escape it for another. Its in conversations like this one, which always remind me that the expat life style found me, not the other way around. Although I'm not an expat yet, still working towards that dream. 

I'm not against the idea of living in another country in principle, however I'm soon going to have a hard enough time living in the country that I'm sort of already familiar with. Finishing uni (or possibly even failing and dropping out), then trying to find a job straight out of uni with no experience or connections isn't going to be great, having to do all that in a country I don't understand as much and don't speak the language in would be nigh impossible. That said if I had a stable source of income and could find a job in Japan (or whatever decent country I guess) that would grant me whatever visa it is you need, I'd at least consider it.

I'd feel okay living in a number of different countries but I would not want to live in Japan. From everything I've read, foreigners really get the short end of the stick there more than many other countries, and I actually pretty strongly dislike most of their cultural and moral values. I have nothing to gain by moving there.

• 6 months later...

About whether anime truthfully portrays Japanese life... I think it could go either way. I say that, in fact, lots of Japanese culture's staples are imprinted into Japanese media. It couldn't be any other way, could it?

For example, it's really silly, but the influence of Shinto (a primitive religion, it will appear I'm bashing it here but I don't really despise it or anything) creates some weird ideas. Such as the notion of unavoidable fate... "unmei"... "sadame"... we in the West already covered that in The Matrix, and we concluded that destiny is a thing that we forge and choose on our own. No, I don't like being powerless against circumstances. Making a way through it all is a definite Western idea.

Going back to anime, there are mountains of anime I already despise, so... could I be bothered to watch it all day long? I don't even do that here. It's just a silly hobby for me and I understand its limitations. Plus, in my life I've always got ideas and influences from here and there, focusing too much in a single thing is bad as far as I'm concerned. Too much exposure to something can be a pain. For me that would be lovely JRPG but I have a full allotment here and don't need to go to their mecca to be happy.

In short, it's all about having a gauge of priorities and while hobbies can support me when things get ugly, there are more pressing matters in life. Signing up for a life in Japan I would consider sybaritic. And I'm somewhat spartan in some ways. Pleasure in moderation.

Well I wouldn't want to. Japan seems great, but its working system seems messed up when you come from the West. I think that would be really hard to get by and adapt and except you're working for yourself or particular exceptions, it seems really harsh most of the time.

I lived in Japan for 3 years and there is one of the countries that i have more stories to talk about .Know and respect the culture, i don't know if i have luck or my preventive defense system worked very well, but  i never receive "ijime" in the school days, for the contrary some people praise me for how much i know and are trying to learn about them. Know at least how to handle a basic conversation in Japanese is indispensable, don't go with the lie that they speak english,  when you find someone that speak most of the time is "Japenglish". The big problem that i found is how they handle certain types of problems, conformism and omission are two words that come to my head about that.

There much more to talk about, maybe someday i write a post or a blog about my experiences, but my pro tip is know how they work and work like them.

Yes. I'm pretty much a loner anyway. And the few friends I made are also going there when they graduate. But im pretty much just going there to attend idol concerts and do other idol related things. I'm sure I can befriend that crowd, the "idol fans" easily. Plus my kind of video games will be everywhere which is always a plus. I can deal with everything else, ridiculous work hours etc. Im just going there to enjoy my hobby. The hobby that I found due to my childhood obsession with japan which has now faded. 

Edited by Noir