Was it hard for you to move on after Katawa Shoujo?

Nuka

I am about to start this VN but after reading about it online im kind of scared.

I ser that a lot are having troubles "getting over it" and issues with moving on/getting attached to other games/VN? Makes me almost want to drop it  because there are so many VNs i want to read and I dont wanna compare them to KS like some people do for a long time..:rolleyes:

Will I be able to enjoy for example Grisaia , Umineko or G-senjou after reading this? Because those might be the next on my list..

I never managed to move into Katawa Shoujo, so I cannot help you on this.

Howeverrrrr, some people get really attached to characters from novels and anime, not only KS. I'm not like this, so I usually enjoy every VN I read even if I just finished another. It really depends on you, really.

If you think it is not worth it to play it now, you can read it in the future.  Unless you die.

More like, if you don't play it now, you probably won't enjoy it as much.

KS makes for a great starter VN for some reason I don't really understand, but when you get people who read a significant amount of VNs before that try it out, the majority of them isn't particularly impressed, me included.

It's just a pretty competent charage. 

I share the same opinion as Kaguya on this, Katawa Shoujo is the best Vn to start with and to get into vn's, the feelings they transmit and overall how you might or not like how they are laid out or are played.

Katawa Shoujo will always have a special place in my heart for it was my first visual novel and I've also played it several times but coming back to it after reading so many other vn I can see some of it's flaws that I didn't previously (they don't make me like it less or anything mind you) but I do notice them when perhaps my past self didn't.

The earlier in your vn life you read it the better you'll think of it because once you get more experience and traction in the vn field you'll be able to notice some short comings or things you previously wouldn't have much like it happened to me.

Ps: I love KS and always will btw.

It wasn't my first VN, but all the ones I played before it were shit so I suppose you could call it my first VN that a lot of people like.  I didn't have any trouble moving on.  Actually I never finished it.  I dropped it after a few routes.

For me, sometimes I have trouble leaving a "World" I've entered. THis happened with F/SN, Tsukihime, Saya no Uta, Muv Luv, ect...I feel so enthralled and "into" that VNs world, that I don't want to read another one for a long time because I feel it just won't live up to the next one.  I haven't read the one you're mentioning, because it's just not my type of VN.  But aye, like with Utawaremono, these 60 to 80 hour VNs, you spend such a significant time reading about their world...yeah, it can be hard to accept it's done.

Meh, like anything on this medium or any other(music, books, movies, etc) it's about personal tastes, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, there are VNs considered masterpieces like subarashi that I hate (piece of crap aside from some few very things) and others like homeless girl that I love and nobody seems to really like it but this is just me. Why should anyone influence you on your likes/tastes? After all you are the one who is reading them and you are the one who should and needs to enjoy them.

KS was a great vn, like many others my first vns too, probably it's not a 10/10 ( how I rated it when I first played it) but still it holds a big place in my heart because it was the vns that hooked me into this world and second the plot revolves around things that very very few vns even remotely do, which is disabilities.

Would you be able to enjoy others vns?Yes, definitely, just don't try to compare them and enjoy them for what they are.

It was pretty close to my first VN and pretty much the first one with any adult content (sexsexsexsexsex) and it's very good. Probably a little overhyped due to exposure, but it's worth reading, and yes, you'll be able to read other VNs after it. KS is just one story, and there are others out there that can give you different feelz.

Hmm my first Vn was Majikoi, followed by Grisaia then G-Senjou and i haven't considered reading Katawa...yet. I think you won't have a problem liking Grisaia and G-Senjou after though, I know of Katawa and i think all those Vn's defer greatly in their story telling. You'll be able to love all of them in their own ways as separate entities from different worlds without thinking lesser of each.  

Whatever opinions you read about the Vn are just that, opinions. Just jump into it and have fun reading! :sachi: Godspeed!

PS: :holo:

5 hours ago, Lykkelille said:

I am about to start this VN but after reading about it online im kind of scared.

I ser that a lot are having troubles "getting over it" and issues with moving on/getting attached to other games/VN? Makes me almost want to drop it  because there are so many VNs i want to read and I dont wanna compare them to KS like some people do for a long time..:rolleyes:

Will I be able to enjoy for example Grisaia , Umineko or G-senjou after reading this? Because those might be the next on my list..

Katawa Shoujo is hardly anything special to compare anything to it.

1 hour ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Katawa Shoujo is hardly anything special to compare anything to it.

He said it popped his VN Cherry, so it'll be special.

I think Do You Like Horny Bunny's 2 popped my VN Cherry.  Do I think it's a good VN? Hell no, but it'll always be one of those unforgettable types. My first 'true' VN, I would put at Tsukihime, i.e, one that had actual characters and plot and wasn't about sex sex sex.  I had read Divi-Dead before that, or wait no, I can't remember the name at the moment...it was a VN where you could even end up dating your best friend (Gay route), I can't remember the name right now, but it was super popular...Love  or Heart something. Can't recall.  It was pretty old and you were attending school -  Hmm, now this is going to bother me.

48 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

I had read Divi-Dead before that, or wait no, I can't remember the name at the moment...it was a VN where you could even end up dating your best friend (Gay route), I can't remember the name right now, but it was super popular...Love  or Heart something. Can't recall.  It was pretty old and you were attending school -  Hmm, now this is going to bother me.

True Love?

21 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

True Love?

There was no gay route in true love. It was the dating sim with stats you had to power up where you could successfully get all the girls in one playthrough if done right (and it was legendary and my first VN.)

Nope, you won't become fixated with KS characters and stories, if anything it will show you the VN world as a point of entry and you'll play more games like that.

But a VN diet consisting only of regular eroge (such as Noble Works or the poor in every regard Koichoco) gets boring soon.

I had read Divi-Dead before that, or wait no, I can't remember the name at the moment...it was a VN where you could even end up dating your best friend (Gay route), I can't remember the name right now, but it was super popular...Love  or Heart something. Can't recall.  It was pretty old and you were attending school -  Hmm, now this is going to bother me.

Maybe it was Shira Oka: Second Chances, the first VN-like game I played as well.

no

Spoiler

Before katawa shoujo was even finished, i had read a great deal of visual novels, and the plot in katawa shoujo is quite weak comparably to some of the good visual novels that had already been out at the time; cross+channel, kira*kira, fate/stay, swan song,Sharin no Kuni ,  G senjou no Maou, yume miru kusuri, don't worry, there's plenty of great novels for you to find and treasure.

KS is a nakige, so it s actually the effect it ought to do. To me, it didn t do much (i m probably too cold, and it s not enough for me :wafuu:)

But i don t think it would be impossible to read something else after that. Actually, i got that feeling from another VN (probably because of the time it took me to complete 100%), and i went play something else anyway.

It wasn t my first VN, and there is still one unfinished route that i thought i will finish, but dropped it soon enough.

And if you still are scared about that, go play some nukige :wahaha:

A nakige? I'm not sure... the masters of nakige are Key and KS differs a lot from their works.

The drama in KS is somewhat heavy (depends on the route but they all have that) but it's natural distress than can arise (IRL too) from romantic relationships. One thing that it nails is that the characters really feel like adolescents. They're not mature, they do wrong things and take wrong decisions, etc. They are heavily driven by their emotions and instincts, putting reason in second place (Hisao, huh?).

Also it shows the knowledge of VNs that the creators have. It passes as a low-budget Japanese novel and that's very hard to do outside Japan. Such a thing is only possible if you really understand how a VN works and is written and designed.

I'm hyping it up but in truth it's just a neat VN that does its thing right, nothing more, nothing less.