Oculus Rift- Virtual reality

Xypers

I'm kind of waiting on some improvements for the Oculus Rift. It's not as good as it seems at the moment, but surely it's improving nicely as technology advances.

On the other hand, could you imagine things get so advanced that the anime characters are given personalities or someone develops a virus for the Oculus Rift (somehow)? Waking up to your favorite anime character singing would become waking up to your favorite anime character slapping you or trying to kill you. :P

ive talked to some people with the Rift development kit asking question on how it works for reading and stuff and how it works on apps that are not 3d and made for it. And it seems that they "work" but it can have drawbacks. I was thinking about being able to read VNs while lying on side or something and not able to look at my wall screen, as it would add some comfortable positions I could take in my bet while reading a VN or watching a movie.

So that can make it possible, it is actually supposed to be pretty fine for movies or videos that are not made for Rift but well you just see them like a very close screen, which is fine.

The main problem I see with Rift is that the technology itself and the device focuses too much on the input methods which then need to be worked into the games or developed specifically for Rift, like the motion control. Which is imo completely useless feature and unnecessary adds to the price of the device. I mean even for the games they promote the most such as FPS games, being able to look around is completely useless thing, mouse will always be the best input method no matter what and having these forced motion gimmicks will only cause more neck problems xD

If they focused solely on the virtual reality projection, it could have been even better, higher resolution (which I expect they will release someday after anyways so I won't be probably buying the first version) and overall better for watching stuff, not controlling.

I think technology like this would be great replacement for a standard monitor display so hopefully someone else or even they later will understand that and try to focus more on that.

And it all comes to the fact that it is too dependent on 3rd party developers, if nobody develops for that, it will end up doomed and forgotten just like nvidia 3d vision (my cousing has it, barely uses it anymore as nobody makes "good" stuff for it anymore).

And if that is the case, we will only see these gimmicky apps like the cinema view that is going to be on the Rift, instead of someone making some awesome media player for it which supports various subtitle settings, screen display settings etc, it could be great... but they instead make some app where you sit in a cinema with some fake people so it feels like you are in cinema and that is absolutely stupid.

Do people actually want that? I personally want just good close up experience while playing that movie and don't really want some like fake audience, water splashing me while there is a water scene in the movie etc.

So yeah, I think Rift still has a long way to go from the current "experience it once and consider it cool" to a device which we can use every day while doing anything on computer. (so imagine instead of some motion scanner it had eye scanner to recognize where you are looking and make it a cursor point with some basic functions, much more useful for everyday life)

it's fine since Rift is still probably the first of its kind. After a few years, high resolution VR machines would eventually pop up. The only thing I hate about the Rift right now is its size. It looks too big and uncomfortable. I haven't tried it though, so I'm not really sure.

A workmate brought his Oculus Rift over a few months back so I've given it a quick go. Using for VNs is an interesting idea. The only problem is I'm never too into those 3D renders of anime girls :lol:/>~

*Thinks about Kurumi or Chitanda 3D software B)/>...*

To me, a lot of the anime characters brought to 3d just look strange or creepy. Most of them used for games are also really really low detail, so they just look even weirder. There are a few that don't look half bad though, but it wouldn't surprise me if these weren't the kind that made it into the Oculus games. The only con I know of is that even with the few that look half decent, the exaggerated expressions and chibi variants just make you want to piss your pants.

Wow, those look incredible! Where do you folks even find things that awesome :P~

Yeah, they'd just have to be real careful with the animations. Love the Vividred one~

you have to find a pro like the ones who made the models in my links :P/>

(Hopefully this isn't too off-topic).

Do you know if that site has tutorials and such on that, or models available for download I could study? I'd check myself but I don't know enough Japanese and it appears Google Translator breaks half the page. I can make props and such just fine, but making anime characters would be much more fun. I've tried attempting it myself, but the results were disastrous :P. Trying to make characters for the Oculus Rift in the future would be pretty cool.