Jump to content
sanahtlig

KARAKARA, Dovac, Twitter wars, and overcharging for adult content

Recommended Posts

Well. At least something is happening.

 

The major complaint is this:

 

All Ages Version: 10$

18+ Version : 20$

 

Now, in the All Ages version, let's just use for example, you get a 8 to 10 hour story. So for 10$, you get 8-10 hours of content.

 

Then you pay 10$ for the 18+ patch. It adds roughly 20 additional minutes of content to the story.  The difference is too much. You're paying 10$ for 10 hours, or 1$/hour, and then it skyrockets to 2$/minute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Marcus said:

This latest meltdown may have made waves within the company. Or may not have. Who knows?

 

feeling pretty bad for him, i mean whoever may be at fault, or not, he clearly wasnt. heck the job of his was doing only pr (which he did fine) and now seeing him getting (i suppose his was made go) showed the door is quite the strange feeling, like a sacrifice doll or sth. =/

edit: sry for my crippled way of speaking, but reaper is drunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, XReaper said:

feeling pretty bad for him, i mean whoever may be at fault, or not, he clearly wasnt. heck the job of his was doing pr and now seeing him getting (i suppose his was made go) showed the door is quite the strange feeling, like a sacrifice doll or sth. =/

I'm going to speculate wildly and say that Dovac isn't firing the people he desperately needs.  Would he really fire a PR guy in this moment of need? No, more than likely it's the reverse (or neither).  How would you feel if your boss was undermining you at every turn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Yeah, imagine you work super hard at your job. You do a damn good job. Then your Boss comes around and screws it all up and now all that hard work, effort, time you put in, was wasted. You'd probably wanna leave too.

So basically every job ever. 

Gonna miss DB. Super easy to work with, always prompt with responses, and just an all around great guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

So basically every job ever. 

Gonna miss DB. Super easy to work with, always prompt with responses, and just an all around great guy. 

That, and he was one of the few people from SP to actually engage us on our site semi-regularly instead of only posting when something would paint them in a bad light.  It was nice to actually get some attention other than when someone points out a glitch in a shitty clicker game  >.>

 

1 hour ago, sanahtlig said:

I'm going to speculate wildly and say that Dovac isn't firing the people he desperately needs.  Would he really fire a PR guy in this moment of need? No, more than likely it's the reverse (or neither).  How would you feel if your boss was undermining you at every turn?

I'd demand a raise.  If no raise was given, then I'd quit.  Anyone that does PR for SP has their work cut out for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

question: does it affect other all-age vn that made by sekai project in the future. means they will only release all-age version of vns?

Don't take what dovac says on his twitter account at face value.  He's said numerous times that he wants to stop releasing VNs because the community is shit, and guess what?  He keeps snapping up VNs for his company to translate.  He's also said that he doesn't really care about 18+ VNs because their readers are all pirates, but they're translating a nukige, Koikuma, and if they don't release an 18+ version of Maitetsu, there will be quite a lot of pissed off lolicons and "purists".  He throws tantrums all the time and says things he doesn't mean, in terms of actual business decisions, quite regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zenophilious said:

Don't take what dovac says on his twitter account at face value.  He's said numerous times that he wants to stop releasing VNs because the community is shit, and guess what?  He keeps snapping up VNs for his company to translate. 

What's interesting though is that his company is slowly shifting to other things - doujin games and even manga. If this shift proves to be profitable, it's not unfeasible that they'll slowly drift away from the VN landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rooke said:

What's interesting though is that his company is slowly shifting to other things - doujin games and even manga. If this shift proves to be profitable, it's not unfeasible that they'll slowly drift away from the VN landscape.

WARNING, SPECULATION

That's very true, but at this point in time, it's not really feasible for them to stop translating VNs and switch to doujin games and manga.  The fanbase for the two won't make up for the one they would lose, as far as I can tell.  I don't deny that they're trying to expand, but I highly doubt they'll stop translating VNs anytime soon, at least until they get popular enough with manga readers.  Doujin games are always a bit of a gamble, and I can't see them seriously counting on a bunch of them to secure them regular income.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zenophilious said:

Don't take what dovac says on his twitter account at face value.  He's said numerous times that he wants to stop releasing VNs because the community is shit, and guess what?  He keeps snapping up VNs for his company to translate.  He's also said that he doesn't really care about 18+ VNs because their readers are all pirates, but they're translating a nukige, Koikuma, and if they don't release an 18+ version of Maitetsu, there will be quite a lot of pissed off lolicons and "purists".  He throws tantrums all the time and says things he doesn't mean, in terms of actual business decisions, quite regularly.

My guess is Baldr's Sky will end up with a 18+ patch. The fallout if it doesn't will be epic. Maitetsu, on the other hand is pretty much screwed, cause they outright said it depends on how well it does on Steam if they will do a patch or not, and a lot people are not going to spend money for an edited version with no promise of restoration patch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zenophilious said:

Don't take what dovac says on his twitter account at face value.  He's said numerous times that he wants to stop releasing VNs because the community is shit, and guess what?  He keeps snapping up VNs for his company to translate.  He's also said that he doesn't really care about 18+ VNs because their readers are all pirates, but they're translating a nukige, Koikuma, and if they don't release an 18+ version of Maitetsu, there will be quite a lot of pissed off lolicons and "purists".  He throws tantrums all the time and says things he doesn't mean, in terms of actual business decisions, quite regularly.

an all age in a nukige games? so it is only 10-20% content.............

1 hour ago, Zenophilious said:
1 hour ago, Rooke said:

What's interesting though is that his company is slowly shifting to other things - doujin games and even manga. If this shift proves to be profitable, it's not unfeasible that they'll slowly drift away from the VN landscape.

WARNING, SPECULATION

That's very true, but at this point in time, it's not really feasible for them to stop translating VNs and switch to doujin games and manga.  The fanbase for the two won't make up for the one they would lose, as far as I can tell.  I don't deny that they're trying to expand, but I highly doubt they'll stop translating VNs anytime soon, at least until they get popular enough with manga readers.  Doujin games are always a bit of a gamble, and I can't see them seriously counting on a bunch of them to secure them regular income.

some of sekai project games:

rabi ribi- Owners: 56,024 ± 6,120 

tobari and the night of the curious moon - Owners: 3,501 ± 1,530

reverse x reverse - Owners: 1,401 ± 967

vs:

sakura games: min:  14,706 max: 1,079,157 average: (14,706+1,079,157)/2

 

not sure if it feasible to switch to doujin games tho even all the games are interesting and very hard

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rooke said:

What's interesting though is that his company is slowly shifting to other things - doujin games and even manga. If this shift proves to be profitable, it's not unfeasible that they'll slowly drift away from the VN landscape.

Doujin games maybe, but there's been talk that breaking into the manga market has been more difficult than they expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Basileus777 said:

Doujin games maybe, but there's been talk that breaking into the manga market has been more difficult than they expected.

not even to mention they´re apparent ambitions in becoming a known name doing lightnovels since licensing gate´s LN/manga, which turned out a whole fucking lot more difficult after kadokawa took over yenpress earlier this year and them now basically being in a semi-monopolistic position coming to (good) licenses in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2016 at 6:14 PM, sanahtlig said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Sekai Project might be falling apart at the seams.  This isn't the first person in the last week or so to say they're leaving Sekai Project.

Who else left? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×