Sanahtlig "upgrades" to Windows 10: A Diary

sanahtlig

I finally upgraded from Windows 7 and I'll expound here as I venture into the great unknown.

First impressions:

1. I see 7 unrecognized devices now in device manager.  That's a bad omen, but nothing is obviously broken so far.  I updated my graphics, sound, and network card drivers to the latest versions just to be safe.
  2. The desktop can't be set to 16-bit color.  As a result, Baldr Force EXE no longer works without a virtual machine (details in my Windows 10 Compatibility List).
  3. Aero Glass (window transparency effects) has been removed.  I had to hack it back in with a half-broken 3rd party tool and then tinker with the theme settings to approximate the unobtrusive feel of Windows 7.
  4. Chrome has been sabotaged.  Flash was disabled for some reason (it was enabled in W7), and certain page elements don't render correctly anymore.  Compare this Japanese walkthrough page in Edge and Chrome.  Notice how the upper left menu is faded in Chrome and the text is much harder to make out.

1. As long as everything else is working, those unknown devices shouldn't be a major issue.

2. The fix for Duel Savior might be applicable here too, but that remains to be seen.

4. You may consider changing the default Sans-serif font in Chrome to work around the iffy font rendering.

• Go into Chrome's settings, Show advanced settings, find the "Web content" section and click "Customize fonts" -- for the Sans-serif font, choose a font that definitely handles Japanese such as Meiryo, MS UI Gothic, or Yu Gothic

39 minutes ago, binaryfail said:

1. As long as everything else is working, those unknown devices shouldn't be a major issue.

2. The fix for Duel Savior might be applicable here too, but that remains to be seen.

4. You may consider changing the default Sans-serif font in Chrome to work around the iffy font rendering.

• Go into Chrome's settings, Show advanced settings, find the "Web content" section and click "Customize fonts" -- for the Sans-serif font, choose a font that definitely handles Japanese such as Meiryo, MS UI Gothic, or Yu Gothic

I just tried the Duel Savior alternate executable (plus the two dll files) with several combinations of compatibility options.  I just get a black window that immediately crashes ("this program has stopped working").

Changing the sans-serif font in Chrome to MS UI Gothic did indeed make the page display correctly, although I'm not sure why Chrome's font would've changed moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

1 minute ago, sanahtlig said:

I just tried the Duel Savior alternate executable (plus the two dll files) with several combinations of compatibility options.  I just get a black window that immediately crashes ("this program has stopped working").

I forgot to clarify, but an alternate exe will have to be made for each game/version. I'll do some testing and report back once I know more.

2 hours ago, Narcosis said:

I'll never understand why consumer users feel the need to upgrade to W10; especially if we're talking about our hobbies.

:Teeku:

Direct X12. That's the only reason. I did the upgrade yesterday and damn I had to spend like 20 minutes disabling "apps" and stuff Microsoft stealthy hid deep inside the settings.

Edit: I could check my VN folder later today when I arrive home. Got a huge bunch of them just adding dust on my virtual driver. Most of them from MG, JAST, Sekai, Fuwa and other places. But I think all the official releases should work fine. But overall the upgrade from W7 to W10 was smooth but I haven't really tested it yet because I did it yesterday 11 pm.

I've personally never had any problems with W10. Been using it on my desktop since the beta for it, granted I was using Windows 8 before that on my desktop. Also granted I have mostly only read officially translated VNs and stuff released rather recently so I may run into problems later on. Although hopefully people will continue to find ways to make them work with the newest operating system. 

I would recommend disabling some of the intrusive privacy settings in W10 though. I found this helpful for this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

4 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

The only reason to use win 10 is to use dx12 and right now it's crap and only used in a bunch of games, but it's nice to see someone testing it and actually checking compatibility for VNs.

Tbh I never had a single problem with VNs on win 10, only one that refused to work for a while before a fix was my girlfriend is the president because of kirikiri engine, I mean tsukihime works without a hitch and it's just short of being 16 years old. Sure there might be some VNs that I have yet to try that are problematic in win 10, but from experience most people that encounter problems with win 10 often upgraded directly from win 7/8 instead of doing a fresh install.

One other thing to consider: you can upgrade to reserve your free copy, but you don't necessarily have to use it. This will be useful if you need to update without having to pay. Microsoft won't support Win7 forever, so you'll wanna be prepared for that eventually.

http://www.howtogeek.com/263413/you-only-have-a-week-left-to-get-windows-10-free.-heres-why-you-should-update/

35 minutes ago, ExtraMana said:

He actually upgraded to Win10 the absolute madman.

I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro I'd recommend if when your sick of Win10 spying on you that you downgrade. 

9DoVoix.jpg

While I understand that you're basically saying shit for the memes, it's oddly naive to think that MS doesn't already keep data on you from older windows builds, rather this time around they just chose to be a wee bit more transparent about the fact that they do it.

2 minutes ago, madvanced said:

While I understand that you're basically saying shit for the memes, it's oddly naive to think that MS doesn't already keep data on you from older windows builds, rather this time around they just chose to be a wee bit more transparent about the fact that they do it.

More or less this. You are ignorant if you think they don't store anything on you if you are not using Windows 10. Most likely they got information on you if you are using Windows 7 too but they hid that information so deep nobody knew or care about it. The Internet today and humanity overall is way to overreactive about anything.

26 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

More or less this. You are ignorant if you think they don't store anything on you if you are not using Windows 10. Most likely they got information on you if you are using Windows 7 too but they hid that information so deep nobody knew or care about it. The Internet today and humanity overall is way to overreactive about anything.

They are not overreacting. It was proven by analyzing the data the OS is sending to Microsoft that Windows 10 spies more on you than any other Windows before.
If you don't know what you are talking about, please stop spreading misinformation. This is a serious issue and it shouldn't be played down.

RIP

10 isnt so bad on a clean install. Took a bit of tinkering (mostly bloatware on my new laptop) but upgrading to 10 seems to ruin a lot of things. My girlfriend went from 8.1 to 10, and wants to chuck her laptop into a wall every few days, having to boot it into safemode every couple of days to restore her vanishing start menus, and taskbars. 

So, formatting the HDD is the best way to upgrade OS generally. 

I'm not against it though so I don't see the big deal because you can easily see the options and disable them in the set up or when you are using it. What I am against is advertising and using your information in a commercial way. 

Perhaps Microsoft would've been more communicative about it but the thought behind it is good. 

2 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

They are not overreacting. It was proven by analyzing the data the OS is sending to Microsoft that Windows 10 spies more on you than any other Windows before.
If you don't know what you are talking about, please stop spreading misinformation. This is a serious issue and it shouldn't be played down.

No one played it down and I do agree that people did overreact a bit even if it is a serious issue. I mean there isn't any place on the internet that's "info keeping"-free and at least MS does tell you that they do it instead of being sneaky cunts about it.

48 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

RIP

10 isnt so bad on a clean install. Took a bit of tinkering (mostly bloatware on my new laptop) but upgrading to 10 seems to ruin a lot of things. My girlfriend went from 8.1 to 10, and wants to chuck her laptop into a wall every few days, having to boot it into safemode every couple of days to restore her vanishing start menus, and taskbars. 

So, formatting the HDD is the best way to upgrade OS generally. 

Yeah on fresh installs 10 is good, and apart from bloatware issues on prebuilt systems(like laptops) deep tinkering is a non-issue, I mean the only setting I did need to disable for my own comfort was the preview builds updates, but that doesn't really apply to most people since this is because I've been using my copy since beta. So that's that.

On another hand the update from a still existing copy of windows does break everything, or at least it tends to.

5 minutes ago, madvanced said:

No one played it down and I do agree that people did overreact a bit even if it is a serious issue. I mean there isn't any place on the internet that's "info keeping"-free and at least MS does tell you that they do it instead of being sneaky cunts about it.

The problem isn't so much that they are gathering data. Like you said, every place on the Internet does that. And in most cases, it's not harmful.
The problem here is more what they are collecting and who can access it. The answer to the what is "everything", the answer to the who is "the NSA". And this is harmful, indeed.

1 hour ago, SilverLi said:

I'm not against it though so I don't see the big deal because you can easily see the options and disable them in the set up or when you are using it.

You can't deactivate it fully. These options are just there to make you believe you could.

Just now, Tyrosyn said:

The problem here is more what they are collecting and who can access it. The answer to the what is "everything", the answer to the who is "the NSA". And this is harmful, indeed.

A bit of context: Tyr lives in Germany, where the NSA has been widely demonized for spying on their nation and its leaders.  This is a hot-button issue there moreso than in the US itself, ironically.

3 hours ago, madvanced said:

Windows 10 takes screenshots of your activity and uploads it to Microsoft's server. Previous Windows Operating Systems do not invade your privacy in this way. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-sends-personal-data-to-microsoft-even-if-users-tell-it-not-to-10453549.html

And here's video evidence

7 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

One other thing to consider: you can upgrade to reserve your free copy, but you don't necessarily have to use it. This will be useful if you need to update without having to pay. Microsoft won't support Win7 forever, so you'll wanna be prepared for that eventually.

http://www.howtogeek.com/263413/you-only-have-a-week-left-to-get-windows-10-free.-heres-why-you-should-update/

Why does it matter if they support Win 7 or not? I can still hook up the to the internet and read VNs on my laptop regardless of whether windows supports it or not. 

1 minute ago, Zalor said:

Why does it matter if they support Win 7 or not? I can still hook up the to the internet and read VNs on my laptop regardless of whether windows supports it or not. 

It's unsafe to connect to the Internet with an unsupported OS.  Anyone still using XP right now does so at their own peril.

I was thinking of upgrading to windows 10 then i realized why? I use my laptop for work, general use and Vn's. Its fully set up to my preferences and everything works great . I ended up deciding on sticking to and not messing with or changing something that already works great for me. Plus the hardcore mode spying scares me :michiru:. I mean its not like i'm doing anything bad online [just a regular user], just the thought of this Windows violating your privacy like no other windows before kind of creeps me out. I rather be safe than sorry i guess. Well i do admit i can get pretty paranoid over these things :yumiko:.

Well since everyone's stating their opinions on the matter, that's my 2 cents! 

Godspeed on your voyage @sanahtlig. Thanks for offering your thoughts about the OS as you go forward with it. If i buy a new laptop, i could use this as reference:sachi:.