Looking for My Next VN (All Ages, Can Have an 18+ Patch).

LiquidShu

Since I haven't made a thread in some time, why not be another "recommend me" thread? :vinty:

Basically I'm going on a trip with family so I rather not play anything that is 18+. This factor along with it being in English, are the only factors I 100% care about. If the game can be patched later for 18+ hell even better, but far from mandatory. 

The VN's that caught some interest from me would be Muv-Luv, Tokyo Babel, VA-11 Hall-A, Root Double, Danganronpa 2, Gahkthun. I've heard good things about all of these but I can't say I'm leaning towards one over the other. In all honesty I rather read through Muv-Luv 18+, Tokyo Babel may have too much action for me, Danganronpa 2 would be cool since I liked the first, and the others I really don't know much about. 

The recommendations aren't restricted to the VN's listed above by any means. 

Thanks yo :miyako:

What VN that you said was pretty much that people could recommend if you talk VN that free from sex scene (Except Gahktun). But I think there's another one, The House in Fata Morgana. Other than that, no idea unless you also like yuri here (In that case, I recommended both of Yurirei and Hakuai. Hakuai was free from sex scene, while Yurirei had sex scene like Gahktun). Hope this help, and if not just ask again.

4 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

Hm so Gakthun has sex scenes but is all ages? Doesn't make much sense..

it's ESRB M(17+), grisaia vita backports have a similar CERO rating in Japan and their english releases are considered all-ages, all-ages is an aspecific therm that doesn't really means anything, it shows in cases like this

VA-11 Hall-A is a cool game that I would recommend but not sure how long it would actually take to see it all. I've started reading Tokyo Babel and so far it's good so I would also recommend it. Although Danganronpa 2 is probably your best bet since it doesn't have any content that is 18+ so you wouldn't be missing anything, plus it's a great game. 

As a side note I am also curious about Gahkthun, I thought it had H-scenes? At least I see some on the VNDB page. Are they cut from the English version or are they considered ok for Steam for some reason?

2 minutes ago, shadowolf64 said:

VA-11 Hall-A is a cool game that I would recommend but not sure how long it would actually take to see it all. I've started reading Tokyo Babel and so far it's good so I would also recommend it. Although Danganronpa 2 is probably your best bet since it doesn't have any content that is 18+ so you wouldn't be missing anything, plus it's a great game. 

As a side note I am also curious about Gahkthun, I thought it had H-scenes? At least I see some on the VNDB page. Are they cut from the English version or are they considered ok for Steam for some reason?

Danganronpa is appealing like I said, but st the same time game-play, ugh.

H-scenes ar ok on steam, as long as no genital is shown, not even mosaiced, same for ESRB M17+ rating.

1 minute ago, WinterfuryZX said:

H-scenes ar ok on steam, as long as no genital is shown, not even mosaiced, same for ESRB M17+ rating.

Interesting. I guess I should have known since the Witcher games have sex scenes but are allowed. Just highlights the silly rules that are in place I guess. 

16 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

I'd say go for Fault Milestone One and 2

If you're fine with Gahkthun's H-scenes, then Inganock and Sharnoth pretty much share the same aspects from them

Mm no H - scenes... I feel that's a line bordering 17/18 I rather not bring with me. 

I'll look into Fault thanks ^_^

Anyone have opinions on the state of the newly released Muv-Luv TL? Wait for 18+ or what?

Also what about Root Double what's the deal there?

If we're talking all ages releases, I definitely enjoy Fata Morgana a lot. It did take a while to catch my interest, but it was worth it.

Root Double was very entertaining and a gripping ride with a lot of twists and a good mystery. Tokyo Babel is chuuni crack lite version if you're into that kinda stuff.

Okay, I just remember there's another all age VN translated here. It was Yoake and the translated version here was port from PS2 version, so there's no sex scene there. Maybe according to one of the staff it's still incomplete, but from what I'd seen the translation was quite serviceable.

About Root Double, the premise was like 9 people trapped in nuclear facility that about to be exploded, and all people must get out as soon as possible or else they'll death because of radiation. For the deal, if I may say it objectively it was directed with one of Ever17 writer, Takumi Nakazawa and it was one of the best VN that Sekai release this year according to VNDB average score.

For Muv Luv, if you was in trip I would encourage you to just pick Steam edition, but if you want to play 18+ version that badly just pick the one with old translation ie Japanese PC version and Amaterasu patch after you finishing your trip. Oh, and by the way according to some user here Steam version was had the translation improved.

Well, I think that's all for now and enjoy your trip there. Ask us again later if you still had questions, okay.

7 hours ago, Novel21 said:

I recommend these VN's

Amnesia

Break Chance Memento

Doppelgänger: Dawn of the Inverted Souls

Remember11 -The Age of Infinity-

I highly recommend to give Remember 11 a try, it's very nice VN to read and play

I'm wanting to read Amnesia sometime or another but 30 - 50 hours is too long right now, I just finished Koihime :komari:

16 hours ago, LiquidShu said:

Anyone have opinions on the state of the newly released Muv-Luv TL? Wait for 18+ or what?

Reportedly, it is essentially the same version (although with a much, much improved translation) except the H-Scenes themselves were removed. No mentions of them were removed, no heavy rewriting: It's as if they take place off-screen.