Am I a dysfunctional VN player?

Zane Araki

I've never come across a VN where I was determined enough to play all the routes. As long as I was attached to one character, I would never be able to lead my choices to pursue the other characters. 

Truthfully, this habit quite annoyed to the point I stopped playing for a while. 

I'm really curious with people (mostly, and the majority) who can commit themselves to the game until they've played all the route. 

I don't think the reason behind this was boredom. It's more like I'm not willing to let my character end up with the other guys... since it felt like betrayal to the former guy xD I mean that's the point of VN right? You can end up with as much pairings as you want and each character will have they own story, and pursuing each character means different story for each play. I just can't seem to make myself to think that the story where I'm pursuing the other guy is completely different from the story with the former guy. (does it sound so complicated?) 

Or maybe it's part of my personality which tend to think that one person is only meant to a certain person.. does that show how faithful I will be as a wife? (lol) 

Do any of you have this problem or similar problem? 

Sorry for.. the stupid question.

I think there are some people out there who cannot play other characters routes because of that feeling of "cheating" that you are describing, I've seen it a lot with katawa shoujo for example. 

Personally I can't play a vn and leave it half completed, it drives me insane knowing that I didnt' complete it 100% xD 

Just read whatever you wanna read. If you aren't enjoying it, or you aren't having fun, there is no need to force yourself to finish something just to finish it. That will lead to you hating the medium, and becoming a bitter, angry person when dealing with VNs. If for you, you cannot enjoy a VN after finishing a route because you feel like you're betraying them, so be it. Move on to the next one. Maybe after a few months, youll be able to go back and finish the original one. 

I tend to read one route and then come back to it later to read the other routes for the same feeling that you are describing. I'm conflicted because I want to see all the content but I feel like I made my decisions most of the time. So hopefully you aren't dysfunctional, otherwise I am too. :P

I m a perfectionist, so i would never leave a game unfinished (even if i go play something else, i would get back to it and finish it someday)

And for perfectionists, it s a silly thought that you can just leave something like that xD

4 hours ago, solidbatman said:

Just read whatever you wanna read. If you aren't enjoying it, or you aren't having fun, there is no need to force yourself to finish something just to finish it. That will lead to you hating the medium, and becoming a bitter, angry person when dealing with VNs. If for you, you cannot enjoy a VN after finishing a route because you feel like you're betraying them, so be it. Move on to the next one. Maybe after a few months, youll be able to go back and finish the original one. 

Personal experience, I presume? :makina:

Don't worry, man. If you need a hug or anything, I'm always there (no homo).

4 hours ago, solidbatman said:

There~ there~~ Batty-san. I'll lend you my shoulder anytime as well (no homo).

I agree btw. Read whatever you want, you read for fun. So silly to add senseless rules to that. Read the way you find it enjoyable.

Depends on the VN in my case. Most of the time I just complete one route if the VN isn't a really good one where I am interested in how twisted and dark the other routes could be. But that's more related to my preferences and what I enjoy. I may miss something if I don't complete it all.

But normally I am only playing one route. Most of the time I am picking my favorite and I am fine with that.