What do you guys think about the term "Weeaboo"

DrKleiner

I don't know how to classify myself...

I mean, I'm here, so obviously  I do play VNs, but I also love Western movies/TV, read mostly western books and comics, play both western and eastern games, have no interest in learning Japanese, and rarely watch anime, but do read some manga.

I feel weeaboo is similar to the word for black people "nig***". If you call some other dude who loves anime a weeaboo when you love anime yourself. It's fine. It's more like sup brah! But if some dude who doesn't like anime/jp-stuff says it. It becomes derogatory.

13 hours ago, solidbatman said:

Weebs are a plague to society and I wholeheartedly advocate the imprisonment of all weebs around the world to ensure the survival of humanity, for the betterment of our futures. Genocide, starvation, terrorism, all of it the result of weebs. If you are a weeb, please kindly delete the system32 folder and remove your presence from the internet so we are no longer subject to your drivel. 

hKVO0UK.jpg

7 hours ago, Bolverk said:

I feel weeaboo is similar to the word for black people "nig***". If you call some other dude who loves anime a weeaboo when you love anime yourself. It's fine. It's more like sup brah! But if some dude who doesn't like anime/jp-stuff says it. It becomes derogatory.

fuckin weeb

4 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/weeabootales/comments/4ucxxp/how_do_weebs_stop_being_weebs/

this looks like alchoholics anonymous, how pathetic can they be?

Thankfully, some of them actually seem to differentiate a weeaboo and an otaku, so it's not that bad. If so, more power to them for helping those with unhealthy obsessions.

I always had this simplistic view that weeaboos were nothing more than people from outside of Japan that just wished, acted and did everything they could to be or at least look like (regarding behaviour, not physical appearance) Japanese people. These people would behave like that due to an obsession to what they think is japanese culture, be it correspondent to reality or not. It being a positive or negative adjective I guess would depend on the situation.

Though after reading this topic I reaffirm what I said about my opinion being rather simplistic.