What do you guys think about the term "Weeaboo"

DrKleiner

๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ A weeaboo is๐Ÿ‘Œ aย โœ” person๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œwho๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œis overly๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ obseโœ”ssedย โœ”โœ”with Japanese cultureย ๐Ÿ’ฏ to the pointย ๐Ÿ’ฏ where they think every other cultureย (chorus: cultureeeee) IsInfeRIOrะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œand they're basically๐Ÿ‘Œtraaa ๐Ÿ‘Œaaaa๐Ÿ‘Œaaa ๐Ÿ‘Œaaa ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshhhhh.

2 minutes ago, DrKleiner said:
Spoiler

cUsuTsE.jpg

ย 

I'm led to believe grammar is more useful to weeaboos than animu and waifu.

ย 

1 minute ago, dfbreezy said:

A discriminatory word that fucking normies use to classify all forms of Otaku from slight to full blown obsessed. he same way people assume that every Muslim is a terrorist which isn't so.

I support this. I hate it when it's misused like that.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ A weeaboo is๐Ÿ‘Œ aย โœ” person๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œwho๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œis overly๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ obseโœ”ssedย โœ”โœ”with Japanese cultureย ๐Ÿ’ฏ to the pointย ๐Ÿ’ฏ where they think every other cultureย (chorus: cultureeeee) IsInfeRIOrะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œand they're basically๐Ÿ‘Œtraaa ๐Ÿ‘Œaaaa๐Ÿ‘Œaaa ๐Ÿ‘Œaaa ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshhhhh.

Pretty much this but stupid people took it and started throwing it around to anyone and everyone who might like anime or manga or visual novels or anything Japan related.

Basically nowadays it's a word used a lot of times by dumb people as an insult or to troll othersย when they don't even know what it means

Had this discussion like Sanah said.ย 

Weeaboo is a term used by those which know anime culture to put down a section OF anime fanbase. dfbreezy is quite wrong when he said it's used by "normies", considering I hang around with many normies and they have no fricken clue what the word means. My anime watching friends on the other hand ...

6 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

It's used by all sort of people now.

Of course. All sorts of people use a Japanese word with no meaning to them to express displeasure ...

The only reason people on this forum think all sorts of people use the word is because they're usually younger, and more young people have watched anime and been involved in the fandom compared with before. That and they're likely to hang around certain select groups of friends which share certain select interests.

23 minutes ago, Rooke said:

dfbreezy is quite wrong when he said it's used by "normies", considering I hang around with many normies and they have no fricken clue what the word means. My anime watching friends on the other hand ...

It's funny though, 'coz I distinctly remember a few people back then who claimed that they don't like anime, and labeled people who did as "weeaboos". So yes, dfbreezy can be accurate in some cases. Considering its popular usage to diss anime fans especially on YouTube, I wouldn't be surprised at all that non-anime fans started picking up the habit of using it as an excuse to insult people who like things they dislike. I believe, it's as another member of the forum had said - it's mob mentality. Gets dumber the more people it spreads to.

1 minute ago, Lucius said:

It's funny though, 'coz I distinctly remember a few people back then who claimed that they don't like anime, and labeled people who did as "weeaboos".ย 

So they've watched anime then. Good to know. Most people from the 90s wouldn't have touched it, THOSE are normies.

8 minutes ago, Rooke said:

So they've watched anime then. Good to know.

Not necessarily. The way they described anime is like someone who hasn't watched Ghostbusters 2016, but immediately presumed it would be shit already. They see a little poster here and there, maybe a YouTube video they saw somewhere, or maybe it's because of how widespread anime culture has became that it would be inevitable they seeย somethingย anime-related or even an anime-inspired American cartoon and felt, "Why do they have to spread this toxic into my country/culture? Those weeaboos."

Yeah. Not anime viewers only.

Speaking of which, this makes weeaboo-labeling sound like it has more to do with purism, something I'm sure Trump supporters could relate with very well. "Get your filthy Japanese goods out of America! Make America weeaboo-free!"

42 minutes ago, Lucius said:

Not necessarily. The way they described anime is like someone who hasn't watched Ghostbusters 2016, but immediately presumed it would be shit already. They see a little poster here and there, maybe a YouTube video they saw somewhere, or maybe it's because of how widespread anime culture has became that it would be inevitable they seeย somethingย anime-related or even an anime-inspired American cartoon and felt, "Why do they have to spread this toxic into my country/culture? Those weeaboos."

Yeah. Not anime viewers only.

Speaking of which, this makes weeaboo-labeling sound like it has more to do with purism, something I'm sure Trump supporters could relate with very well. "Get your filthy Japanese goods out of America! Make America weeaboo-free!"

About sums up the ignorant folks who throw about the words. trust me most guys i know are normies who haven't watched anime but use the word because 'that's what you are'. the normal non-anime watcher mentality is that anime is 'cartoons' so we're all 'kids'. it's easy to ignore at first but the deeper your love of anime and japan related content gets the more annoying it becomes. like an itch you can't scratch because theres always that one guy who doesn't want to be reasonable.

2 hours ago, nohman said:

Which is amusing, since in the comic it originated from it doesn't have any meaning to begin with.

It originated from a comic? Didn't know that. Which comic?

ย 

It seems to me that the insult is targeted to anybody that likes Asian stuff in general, not just Japanese stuff anymore. Also iย only see people online [games or otherwise] insult people with 'weeboo'. I don't think i've ever heard anyone call someone that in RL.

Most of my friends don't even know what it means. Maybe cause we're from an older generation? this weaboo thing got famous just recently right? [1-3 year] correct me if i'm wrong.

Honestly, i think if someone called me that i'll just be indifferent to it. It's too bothersome being annoyed by words that don't even have any real meaning. Being triggered by insults just empowers those insults in return right?

Weebs are a plague to society and I wholeheartedly advocate the imprisonment of all weebs around the world to ensure the survival of humanity, for the betterment of our futures. Genocide, starvation, terrorism, all of it the result of weebs. If you are a weeb, please kindly delete the system32 folder and remove your presence from the internet so we are no longer subject to your drivel.ย 

33 minutes ago, DharmaFreedom said:

Most of my friends don't even know what it means. Maybe cause we're from an older generation? this weaboo thing got famous just recently right? [1-3 year] correct me if i'm wrong.

That probably has something to do with it. In my 30s and the normal people I hang around with don't know the word.

3 hours ago, DharmaFreedom said:

It originated from a comic? Didn't know that. Which comic?

http://www.pbfcomics.com/71/

Of course, in this comic the word didn't have this meaning yet which it got later when 4chan banned "wapanese" and people used "weeaboo" instead.
Rooke is pretty much spot on with his definition. This was indeed the meaning the word got when 4channer used it.

Sadly, some newfags misused the word in recent years. Casual new anime-fans are using the term weeaboo to insult serious fans of the genre. Probably because they can't distinguish between a weeaboo and an otaku. Or both look the same for them because casuals don't understand the concept of taking one's hobby seriously. "Anime" is mainstream now and normies want to dissociate themselves from freaks. Doesn't matter whether the freak is an otaku or a weeaboo.
Because of the frequent misusing many people think a weeaboo is someone who likes Japanese/Asian entertainment in general. That is wrong. Being a weeaboo or an otaku is mutual exclusive.
The most important trait of a weeaboo is that he has only superficial knowledge and enthusiasm for his hobby even though he might think otherwise. Exactly the opposite of what makes someone an otaku.

A weeaboo thinks anime is the best thing ever, but he actually only watched the 1% of the latest mainstream shows because he doesn't really care for the medium itself.
A weeaboo wants to learn Japanese so he can visit Japan and read manga/watch anime/play eroge in Japanese, but he never will.
A weeaboo thinks Japanese culture is great, but he doesn't even know that there is more to Japan than Akihabara and Shibuya.
A weeaboo wants to have a Japanese boyfriend/girlfriend, but in the end everyone looking Asian will be fine. (Oh yes, that is a thing. Back then when I still had weeb friends, nearly everyone had his token Asian bf/gf.)