Chronotopia: Second Skin [Dark Fairytale/Drama/Commercial] [GxG/GxB] New KS & new demo!

Helianthus

We're now back on Kickstarter!

Try our updated demo, tell us what you think, and consider giving some money to our new Kickstarter if you liked it :kosame:

Banni%C3%A8re-Story.png

Chronotopia: Second Skin is a dark rewriting of the fairytale Donkeyskin: princess Kionna lives a peaceful existence in her castle, enjoying her days with her best friend and confidant, Nahima. That is until her father, gone mad since the death of his beloved, decides he should wed the princess instead. Kionna has to find a way to escape from this fate, but how? She doesn’t know it yet, but it’s the beginning of a long nightmare that will take her to the edge of madness.

Inspired by a wide range of influences (literature, anime, videogames), Chronotopia is a unique and more mature take on a forgotten fairytale that includes many twists and choices that affect the ending: the princess can either escape with her servant, become a fairy, or die a horrible death. Multiple times. 

It’s up to you to save …or doom her.

Banni%C3%A8re-Features.png

• A unique take on a forgotten fairytale with many twists
  • Branching story with around 10 endings and 30 hours of playtime
  • An optional archives system to learn more about folklore
  • Two GxG (Nahima and the Fairy) and one GxB (the "Prince") romances possible!
  • Beautiful artwork, with animated backgrounds and special stained-glass illustrations
  • A full original soundtrack with celtic influences
  • Extensive use of RenPy 3D camera for a more dynamic presentation
  • Several segments allowing you to freely explore the castle to discover its secrets   

Demo available on itchio (Window, Mac, Linux)

600x150-banner-new-Lys.jpg

logo_verysmall.png
Website | Devblog | Twitter | Facebook | Tumblr | VNDB

Writing / Programming / Project Leader: Helia

Art: Anako, Adirosa, Mae, PyriteKite, MelowBee

Music: Butterfly Tea, Roganis

English Translation: MelesBadger

Edited by Helianthus

Update:
After thinking hard about everything that could be needed for the upcoming campaign, we've finally made a Prefundia page! There are still little things here and there to adjust but don't hesitate to give us feedbacks so that we can improve :sachi:

And while I was at it, I've put some actual screenshots of the game on the 1st post. What do you think? Does it make you want to play Chronotopia?  :makina:

Banni%C3%A8re-Screenshots.png

69f2ada27ddf5dd2b3bcf009144c7653.md.jpg

f1e4db6529d4ffb1fdb5a2abf71564d2.md.jpg

c5866b7bcec09dc33caa5eefbd2894ef.md.jpg

e5452e9bc8c5f11c0b86ec733aa7e3c5.md.jpg

ebd61c95623bc10b252a2916938c4ba3.md.jpg

Edited by Helianthus
Typo on a screenshot...

Update:

Hello everyone!

cfb84552-5189-4bf3-979b-7ab25a7d66da.jpg

Great news: we’ve decided on a date for the Kickstarter campaign; it will launch the 28th of September. All details concerning rewards & stuff are on our Prefundia page so go take a look. Plus, if we managed to reach over 20 000€, we’ll get to work with Basiscape (Hitoshi Sakimoto’s label) so I’m pretty excited :wafuu:.

To help you wait, here’s a quick overview of what Chronotopia looks like with the 3D camera. I feel it really helps giving more impact to the story. What do you think of the result? :yumiko:

2 hours ago, Nier said:

It appears that your main composer "Olivier Renouard" also known as "Butterfly Tea" as well as "Light Elves Music" is a Far Right Winger and National Front sympathizer, I won't support racists.

That's weird, he never told me he had a Twitter: I didn't know he had said those things... Thank you for showing me this, I will talk with him to get things straight! But know that I (writer/project leader) don't support those opinions and that the game isn't written by the composer ;)

Hey, people, we're already 17% funded and 32% on our way to the top of Greenlight!

Pact-scene.gif

To celebrate, here's a new scene from Chronotopia's demo: the pact. Make a contract with the fairy and become a magical girl (or something like that :makina: )! 
It is said she can make all your wish come true…if you pay the price~

Also, since I’ve been asked: I wanted to confirm that yes, Chronotopia will include both yuri and otome options! 

tumblr_inline_oed9l5HugS1syvmd8_1280.png

Who would you like to romance: Your loyal childhood friend, the mysterious fairy or the unrevealed prince charming? :rimu:

On 2016/9/28 at 6:09 PM, Helianthus said:

That's weird, he never told me he had a Twitter: I didn't know he had said those things... Thank you for showing me this, I will talk with him to get things straight! But know that I (writer/project leader) don't support those opinions and that the game isn't written by the composer ;)

Oh, is that the case? Well, then I guess I will support the campaign despite afterall, as it does seem like it could be an interesting project nonetheless and it does seem like it should be lenghty enough to make it worth getting one of the physical tiers as it is described as being 30 hours long on Kickstarter, will probably be getting either the Deluxe Edition or Physical Pack.

Well good luck with the Kickstarter!

Another update to announce that there’s an Android version of the demo available on Google Play!

You can now read it on your phone or tablet~

tumblr_inline_oehk7yHz961syvmd8_1280.png

Our Kickstarter is currently 20% funded so do take a look at the demo if you haven't tried yet, and don't hesitate to support us if you liked it :rimu:

Chronotopia is also 42% on its way to the top of Greenlight so we need your vote!

23 hours ago, Nier said:

Oh, is that the case? Well, then I guess I will support the campaign despite afterall, as it does seem like it could be an interesting project nonetheless and it does seem like it should be lenghty enough to make it worth getting one of the physical tiers as it is described as being 30 hours long on Kickstarter, will probably be getting either the Deluxe Edition or Physical Pack.

Well good luck with the Kickstarter!

Well, my collaborators don’t always mention their political convictions when we’re working together so, yes, I’m genuinely surprised!

Anyay, thank you for giving us a second chance! Indeed, Chronotopia will very likely be a long game since I have a bad tendency of writing a lot. That’s why the price is a little higher than with other visual novel: we have to price the content accordingly, after all. I think you can have a good glimpse of that with the demo which is also quite long!

Thank you for your support :sachi:

That’s it, folks, Chronotopia has been fully funded! And we’re greenlit too. What else could we ask for?

Well, there is only a few hours left to reach a stretch goal but let’s try anyway! :miyako:

tumblr_inline_ofm8w3e1JI1syvmd8_1280.png

To celebrate this victory, here's a sketch of Lys by Anako.

Thank you for your support: we would never have been able to do it without you! 

Now we absolutely cannot fail: we’re going to do our best to bring you the full game as we planned it and we hope you will enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it :sachi: 

Hey there! It’s been a while since the end of the Kickstarter so I thought it would be appropriate to make a general update on the project :sachi: 

Chronotopia has a very peculiar structure that consists in a rather long introduction (which can be considered the “common route”) and a turning point where Donkeyskin has to choose how she will escape from her father. If you played the demo, you can’t miss it since it’s the last choice. In the full version, you’ll be able to opt for various strategies, each one corresponding to a “route”. All those routes have varying length and focus on different themes.

646b5a1d-b0fc-440e-8876-89b18acfb6c0.jpg
One of the new finished backgrounds

I’ve already finished writing the first one (I code-named it B1) which takes place in the countryside: Donkeyskin flees to escape the yoke of her father and ends up being taken in by a young farmer named Fleur. Despite her slender look, she’s very resourceful and has quite a strong character, so she's not to be underestimated! Since farmers are subject to seasons, this route appears relatively linear, though there are still choices. There’s also just as much content as in the demo itself…if not more: the demo represents 23 500 words and the B1 route 25 600 words!

3b991ca5-f66e-49ee-a060-93367ff84f4e.jpg
Several tests we're doing to choose Fleur's design

Next time, I’ll talk about B2 which is a huge contrast to B1 since I’m trying to make each route feel unique to have Kionna experiment all kinds of things in her journey. 
In any case, I hope you’re looking forward to what Chronotopia has to offer 
^_^

Hey there, we haven’t really posted that much for the previous couple of months, have we? Ooopsie… To be fair, we were quite busy with Chronotopia’s development :michiru: . 

Kickstarter-Promo-Art-1024x576.jpg
Our brand new promotional art, by the talented Eirlysa Lawrence

We’ve made plenty of progress and are getting closer to the finish line but then we realized that we were lacking illustrations. And it’s especially important for such a long visual novel like ours to break away from the sprites/backgrounds monotony once in a while. That’s why we’ve decided to make a small supplementary Kickstarter campaign in order to fund a few extra illustrations and make the experience more pleasant overall!

ebd61c95623bc10b252a2916938c4ba3.md.jpg

Of course, we’ve also made the most of that time to improve the old demo and add a few features. Expect a revamped UI, new content, new illustrations, better effects and the apparition of the archives system which allows you to get a better insight on folklore and fairytales’ references. We also changed the game’s name to add clarity: it’s now called Chronotopia: Second Skin to better reflect Kionna’s adventures.

158381453fee10a8019096925ca07b41.md.jpg
Beware, the Fairy is not going to be pleased if we don’t reach our goal~

So, if you’ve missed the first campaign, now is the perfect time to fix that. Take a look at our updated demo here and if you like what you see, consider pledging a few bucks to our Kickstarter!