Contact creator?

A question came to me just now, a few days away from finishing a project for a VN: Should I ask the creator of the VN if I can do what I made? Or... should I be like a ninja and just release it on the shadows and then expect the worst?

The first answer that comes to mind is DON'T. I lived through No Name Losers drama, and then the CAUCASUS drama (the only ones I knew about) and learned from them that if the creator knew, they pretty much were going to be over you, lawyers in hand, to make you stop with C&D and, if gone overboard, court. It is scary, and this monster in my head is getting pretty big as time goes past. But it isn't something that will make me stop. I've been working on this project for about five~six years, I'm not just going press delete on that folder. I know in the very end I'll release it as NNL did, no matter what. It doesn't really matter if I'm going to do whatever I want to in the end. xD 

That brings me to the DO IT. Doing it might bring some praise. (Though it's ego, I'm aware of it, having the creator telling you 'it's ok', 'amazing', etc, I believe it's pure gold. e.g. Ryukishi07's letter to Witch Hunt.) At the minimum that'll be all, at the worst will be trials, or something like that...
What I'm trying to say is: I don't really know what happens once you post a release. Will I be damned or... nothing will happen? E.g. I just see Amaterasu's group releasing translations but I don't know if they actually asked the creator for it... or Steins' group, and several translations like them... I... don't know. D:

What do you guys think? By the way if someone knows of other drama, do tell, I'd like to know about them.

The majority of fan translations don't stop doing their projects unless they receive a C&D from the company, so if you got none of them until now just do it. The worst case scenario would be the company probably telling you to shut down the patch, but nothing else. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that the majority of Fan TL's don't ask the creators of the game.

6 hours ago, Aizen-Sama said:

The majority of fan translations don't stop doing their projects unless they receive a C&D from the company, so if you got none of them until now just do it. The worst case scenario would be the company probably telling you to shut down the patch, but nothing else. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that the majority of Fan TL's don't ask the creators of the game.

This whole talk is more about pushing beyond those boundaries, no matter what. OP is right, tho - majority of japanese companies can file an official C&D, but it's more than often where it ends at; they usually don't have that kind of money to pursue international lawsuits, or they feel it's not really worth it, as they could pump cash into a new project instead wasting it on petty squabbles. From my perspective, for those who do know at least a bit of english, it might be a lot more foreesable to actually hire a professional EN/JP TL and reach the translators/group to actually initiate official translations, rather than diss fans; in overall, when someone actually hands you work you could actually use to your benefit, it's incredibly ridiculous to outright refuse; those who do, definitely don't know how to handle business opportunities.

23 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Things happen on their own accord.

:holo:

That's a lewd comment. xD

17 hours ago, Narcosis said:

From my perspective, for those who do know at least a bit of english, it might be a lot more foreesable to actually hire a professional EN/JP TL and reach the translators/group to actually initiate official translations, rather than diss fans;

That's the dream, most of us who do this kind of thing hope for. Although the basis of this kind of groups are projects, interesting projects. There's another post where its discussed "what vn should I translate?" and it leaded in the end to: "What do you want to translate." And to be working in a company is rather hard, in the sense that most of the time you won't be translating things you want. 

So, in order to achieve that "company" status... all planets must align and the red sea must rise higher than ever. :v