Hello everyone!

Anonalypse

I'm new to this site, and new to visual novels in general. So... hello! I've completed Fate/stay night Fate, and Unlimited Blade Works routes, playing the Heavens Feel route, and beginning Rewrite. I still don't know the 'best' way to play visual novels, and would like your opinions. I have been saving every time a new choice appears, and choose the option I think would be best. Afterwards (When presented with another choice), I would load back to the previous choice to read the optional dialogue. Unless my original choice was a dead end I wouldn't use the second choice I made as my 'main' playthrough. Is this a good idea, or not?

Hello!

I save the game before a choice too, but then anyway rewrite it, so idk why do i even do that xD, but it s best to just go and don t look back, make a choice that u think is the right one to get you where u want and then keep doing that until u finish.

Enjoy your stay here!

Welcome.

I prefer to use a walkthrough and pick my route before I start. I tend not to do the "bad endings" unless it contributes to the actual story. At first I just did my own choices, but this method screwed me up when I played through G-senjou no Maou. Though I do have fond memories of my very first route in my first ever VN, it was the neutral ending for Lilly in Katawa Shoujo - :komari:.

Welcome welcome~

There's something to be said for exploring all of the options, but personally I like to try to make it through the route first and then go back through to find the other things, mostly because it's a bit easier to use the skip to get between choices faster. Though, I usually do save before things that seem like important choices if it seems like the story will branch or if there might be a dead end.

I also recall a lovely moment playing through the Fate route where I

Spoiler

totally screwed up and didn't get enough Saber points and then was confused as hell for a moment when I got stabbed. It doesn't help that F/SN was my first VN so I was prone to such mistakes.

But I digress, welcome and enjoy your stay. :sachi:

Welcome, and enjoy yourself here. Speaking about Fate Stay Night, I remember that you must got all 40 bad ends to get 100% completion here, so maybe if you want to got all bad end, you may need to using the walkthrough here. As for me, I'd like to using the walkthrough for playing VN here, because it'll save some time if I aim for certain route there, especially if the VN had many choices here (And mostly was quite pointless iirc). Although if I'd like to say here is that your idea for playing VN is quite good for VN like Fate imo, if only because each Fate route was quite long and it could be triggered at the beginning. I think you could keep your playing style here, but if you stuck you may try to search for the walkthrough here if you need my advice here. For last word here, hope we could see each other here later.

9 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Welcome, and enjoy yourself here. Speaking about Fate Stay Night, I remember that you must got all 40 bad ends to get 100% completion here, so maybe if you want to got all bad end, you may need to using the walkthrough here. As for me, I'd like to using the walkthrough for playing VN here, because it'll save some time if I aim for certain route there, especially if the VN had many choices here (And mostly was quite pointless iirc). Although if I'd like to say here is that your idea for playing VN is quite good for VN like Fate imo, if only because each Fate route was quite long and it could be triggered at the beginning. I think you could keep your playing style here, but if you stuck you may try to search for the walkthrough here if you need my advice here. For last word here, hope we could see each other here later.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I personally don't like to look at a walkthrough unless I am stuck, or have done everything I can think of (Then I would use a walkthrough, to get anything I've missed to 100% it). Of course I'm not experienced with Visual Novels at all, but I don't think that will change later on. What kind of Visual Novels differentiate from Fate/stay night (In terms of how you should play them, and why)?

Well, Fate was only had 3 routes for the starter (Actually, this is normal for some VN), Fate, UBW, and Heaven's Feel. The main difference is that even if you already entered a route in Fate, there's still some choice that could got you to the bad ending. I guess this is actually made Fate an unique Visual Novel here. Okay, since you ask normally if you entered any route in VN, there shouldn't be any more choice for majority VN here (There are some exception though). And before entering heroine's route, there's common route where's many choice that determined heroine route could be found. In regard of how you should play it, maybe you could use same way as your way, except it's more to the scene with heroine though rather than with bad ending.

tldr - Other VN than Fate had quite lengthy common route and more than 3 heroines, although once again there's some exception. For the approach of how you play them, you could use your usual way with your aimed heroine, for most part though. Hope I could answer you here, and if it's still not clear just ask me here.

2 hours ago, Flutterz said:

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay!

The way I play is I save at every choice and go through the game picking what I would actually pick irl, and after that I use a walkthrough to get all the routes.

Have a moe:

Hide contents

YEfZyZN.jpg?1

Emilia! One of my least favorite characters in Re:Zero... Rem is best girl :DRe_Zero-10-Img002.png?fit=1200%2C675