Do you play visual novels with or without voice acting?

ratboi

that's a hard question to answer. I mean, I love VNs with voice acting and when they doesn't, I cannot get fully imersed on the story. However, usually, almost always, I don't wait for them to finish before skipping the text, so I almost never listen to them completely.

So yeah, I always, always leave them on - and kind of hate when MCs are unvoiced - but never listen to everything.

The only exception, I guess, is Kanon, where the PS2 voice patch is terrible and buggy

Usually I have them on, but sometimes if a certain voice is particularly annoying, I switch it off.

Like Natsuhiko in Root Double who forced me to switch off all voices because it was not possible to deactivate just a specific voice. Well, the quality of the voice cast wasn't particularly high anyway, so it wasn't a big loss...

I used to read without voices, because squeeky girls yelling japanese through the entire neighborhood would've been way too embarrassing. This made reading VNs using the full-screen text format almost impossible to do, because they never put the name of who's speaking before a sentence and you have to figure out who talks by yourself. 

After a year or so, someone told me that headphones exist and I felt like the biggest idiot on the planet. 

As for me, I think some emotions can only be expressed through voices.

Also, one of the best things (if not the best) about H-Scenes are the voices of the girls.

Voices help understand the text as well, if your Kanji-proficiency isn't that good... :rimu:

Saying voices are one of the main selling points for me wouldn't be exaggerated.

Though I've also played good VNs without Voices(checking Kanji all the time gets tiring, though)

I do not really care. I read voices, I read unvoiced, important to have a good believeable (and with eroscenes, if they are supposed to be) story and good characters.

Actually the perfect would be like it was in some console RPG - so just a few lines are voices, to get an idea what is character voice is. Much better, than have whole 60-hour story voiced, no one listen to them in full anyway.

I don't mind good voice acting (it's actually helpful for learning japanese and at times, grasping things better in general), but I won't cry when they aren't voiced. Certain games can benefit a lot from good VA as much as there are titles, which will do perfectly fine without them; worst thing to happen is getting voice-overs, where it isn't really required (ENG dubs; murica, why?).

I never switch it off. It's way more immersin, at least for me, to actually hear everyone's voice, that's partially the reason why I haven't started hollow/altaraxia yet. Seiyus put a lot of work into it, so it's such a waste to turn it off!

Though it really gets on my nerves when some characters have a very irritating voice (I'm looking at you, Hoshimemo) or some supporting characters are left unvoiced (Rewrite).