Reccomend me a affordable WIN10 tablet

Nuka

1. What's your budget?

2. 10" vs 8". You may wanna play around at some stores and see what size feels and looks good. 8" is decent and light, 10" can tire your hands easier but I like the extra screen size. Also consider resolution. Most cheap win tablets run at 1280x800; good for full screening 720p VNs.

3. Consider a hybrid ie. tablet with dockable keyboard if you go 10"+ ie. Asus Transformer. Its really good for travel / light schoolwork and not having to lug around a 15" / 5lb laptop

I use an Asus Transformer Book T100HA. You can read a review about it here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Transformer-Book-T100HA-Convertible-Review.151966.0.html

Budget.. As little as possible but as much as needed? :) Was looking at Chuwi Hi8.

I have no need for keyboard or ANY other use. I am 100% covered except for portal vn reading. So strip all that "would be nice to have" away, i am looking for something that runs VNs decently, everything else do not matter at all :)

thank you for answering! 

4 hours ago, Lykkelille said:

That will run all VN's (old and new) okay. I have an iPad mini so this will ONLY be used for VN's.

How is the ACER ICONIA tab 8?

Unfortunately, no tablet would run *all* VNs. There are quite a few older VNs that are meant to be keyboard-driven (and they're full screen and they don't really work well with virtual on-screen keyboard), or, for example, use some intricate thing like right mouse click to continue (which *is* possible with touch-to-mouse emulation, but that's a world of pain to play). OTOH, some of more modern VNs require a relatively powerful videocard with recent shaders & stuff (i.e. they fail to run on integrated Intel chip). There is no silver bullet.

@mnakamura only VN which do not work with tablet is Steins Gate (english release). All other VNs work (i tested about 35 games, 1996-2016). On-screen keyboard works in full-screen without any problem, you just need compact layout. Or use something better with customizable layout, like http://www.comfort-software.com/on-screen-keyboard.html I completed Divi-Dead and YUNO in fullscreen on Windows 10 on tablet, it works without any problems (YUNO had to be patched with my patch first, though).

Regarding mouse pointer, you can just install this free software http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/ and it will give you mouse pointer, also works in fullscreen, using whole screen as a touch pad, very convenient.

Regarding modern games... I have a very cheap (about 150$ W10 tablet) and I still did not encountered any VN which refuses to work on it or is unbearable slow.

So far the only VN which I was not able to make working on my tablet is that damn Steins Gate. It requires the real mouse to be connected (so it will create a device inside), and without it mouse just considered as non-existing. And I never found any emulation software, which adds a virtual mouse device, to fool the game.

54 minutes ago, Scorp said:

@mnakamura only VN which do not work with tablet is Steins Gate (english release). All other VNs work (i tested about 35 games, 1996-2016). On-screen keyboard works in full-screen without any problem, you just need compact layout. Or use something better with customizable layout, like http://www.comfort-software.com/on-screen-keyboard.html I completed Divi-Dead and YUNO in fullscreen on Windows 10 on tablet, it works without any problems (YUNO had to be patched with my patch first, though).

Regarding mouse pointer, you can just install this free software http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/ and it will give you mouse pointer, also works in fullscreen, using whole screen as a touch pad, very convenient.

Regarding modern games... I have a very cheap (about 150$ W10 tablet) and I still did not encountered any VN which refuses to work on it or is unbearable slow.

So far the only VN which I was not able to make working on my tablet is that damn Steins Gate. It requires the real mouse to be connected (so it will create a device inside), and without it mouse just considered as non-existing. And I never found any emulation software, which adds a virtual mouse device, to fool the game.

Probably you took much more effort that me, seeking all these emulation / substitution tools for mouse, custom keyboards, etc.

Using Windows tablet to read while commuting was my dream like a year or two ago. I've also tested ~60-70 VNs on Windows tablet (however, that was Windows 8 ) and my experiences were not that good.

Unfortunately, I don't remember exact titles (I've tried lots of low-profile ones I got for cheap at garbage bin sales), but about 5-6 out of 60-70 used bizzare "right mouse click to continue", "left mouse click to step back" scheme, which required you to do right clicks. It is possible with touch, but takes like forever to go on in the manner.

Quite a few older games don't actually work in Windows 8. I've managed to run them by installing Windows 98 and XP in VMware, but that (a) heats up the CPU and eats battery like crazy, (b) again, quite bothersome to use touch UI on VMware emulated ancient OSes which have zero knowledge of touch interface at all. Probably your mouse pointer software would have helped here, though.

@mnakamura I spent like 10 minutes back in the days to figure out these tools, they were first links in Google :) So no, not much efforts.

I actually cannot remember any old games, which refused to work for me even on Windows 8.1. Even games, created for W95 worked perfectly.

But if you plan to play a VN, which extensively uses lot of keyboard shortcuts - this could be a problem, having in mind how much keys should be on screen. For this matter I would suggest to buy a small cheap bluetooth keyboard, works very well for me (actually it was bundled with the tablet for same 150$).

On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 4:27 PM, Lykkelille said:

Budget.. As little as possible but as much as needed? :) Was looking at Chuwi Hi8.

I have no need for keyboard or ANY other use. I am 100% covered except for portal vn reading. So strip all that "would be nice to have" away, i am looking for something that runs VNs decently, everything else do not matter at all :)

thank you for answering! 

I have a Chuwi Hi8 Pro and it is a great tablet for its price. I paid about $80 for it. It runs at 1920x1200 so it can handle any VN. The screen is very sharp. However, this is a higher resolution than most VNs use. If it's an older VN that runs at 800x600 (or worse, 640x480) it will only take up a small window of your 8" tablet. You can of course expand it to full screen, but then you'll get some scaling and it will not look as sharp. It will even look pixellated in places.

That's the tough choice to make. You can go for a 1280x800 or 1280x720 tablet which will not look as sharp but there will be less scaling in your VNs, and no scaling at all if the source is 720p.

A keyboard is very convenient btw, if you are running in full screen. In Windowed mode you can use the on screen keyboard though it's still unwieldy. In full screen though, if you're using the touch screen exclusively, you better hope your VN has all the functions on screen as buttons, because if it doesn't you won't have any way to access them. e.g. if there's a skip button on screen, you can skip. But if you have to press CTRL to skip and you don't have a keyboard, that will be hard.

I also have a Teclast Air 3G which is a 10" 2048x1536, which is the same as an iPad Air. This was also cheap, but it has the same quirks as the the Chuwi. It is a higher resolution than the VNs which 99% of them are low res. So you either get a small window, or an ugly pixellated/filtered full screen image which is harder to control.

And I also have an expensive Surface PRo 4, which.. is even higher resolution than both of these combined. You get the drift.

You can get a tablet with a lower resolution to match the VNs but the screen won't look as sharp and you will see the LCD screen dooring effect. If you don't mind that, and all you are doing with it is VN, this might be the best option. Chuwi Hi8 or Vi8 would be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...