Umineko When They Cry - Question Arcs

9 minutes ago, Haruhiro said:

at 9 years you don't believe in stupid stories and you speak normally ( If she was like 5 ok but here...)

It's a Japanese thing and it's fucking adorable, you uncultured swine. :ren:

Also, learn to use spoiler tags. :vinty:

13 minutes ago, Ningen said:

It's a Japanese thing and it's fucking adorable, you uncultured swine. :ren:

Also, learn to use spoiler tags. :vinty:

Sorry for the spoiler tag, i wiil be more careful in the future.

Spoiler

At he first time it can be cute, but when you keep talking like that for years, it is annoying and i perfectly understand Rosa for that

I have a question about the episode 2 :

Spoiler

In the case of the closed room of the chapel, i find the reasoning of Battler quite contradictory . He wants to deny the existence of the Witch by any means, but he doesn't want to suspect any of his relatives :wahaha:. In my opinion, (I may be wrong) that's quite naive, if you want to explain things with logic, then you must suspect someone human ! 

So i wonder if you can explain me that way of reasoning 

Here's a quick question for anyone who has the Steam version:

Do they still translate Battler's oft-repeated line as "turn the chessboard over" rather than "turn the chessboard around"? It's a tiny thing, but that mistake bugged me to no end on my last (and only) playthrough.

13 hours ago, Haruhiro said:

I have a question about the episode 2 :

Hide contents

In the case of the closed room of the chapel, i find the reasoning of Battler quite contradictory . He wants to deny the existence of the Witch by any means, but he doesn't want to suspect any of his relatives :wahaha:. In my opinion, (I may be wrong) that's quite naive, if you want to explain things with logic, then you must suspect someone human ! 

So i wonder if you can explain me that way of reasoning 

you could explain it in different ways, read the other chapters and probably this answer will be found

You can also consider an 19th person for that matter

I really don't remember, however, the 'answer' for this scenario. But if you want a tip from a fan, don't focus too much on that matter. And love :D

12 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Really dislike the new art, lack of voices, and the original backround scenes. I know they couldn't get the rights, but it's absurd that the fan-made hacked together version remains the best.

Same here, i really hate the new art, i would have surely bought the game to support the editor but i can't stand the drawings, it's such a lame

20 minutes ago, Haruhiro said:

Same here, i really hate the new art, i would have surely bought the game to support the editor but i can't stand the drawings, it's such a lame

The first time i saw the new art , i remembered the art of jojo bizarre adventure , and i laughed.

I wanted to take the opportunity to ask, what is the best way to experience this game?

The Russian PS3 port looks like it's very far away from completion and the barriers to entry are too high.

The existing PS3fication patch to the older version of the game looks nice but it runs in 640x480. The MG version runs at 4x the resolution.

Should I wait for someone to make a PS3fication patch for the Steam version? I'm sure someone will patch it, but it could take a while because these things always have to go into alpha then beta, and it's a long game. There is still no knowing how long before chapters 5-8 and then the PS3 patch to it will take.

While we're at it, can someone tell me what's the best way to play Higurashi?

Is the retranslation better than the original translation? If I'm going to use a PS3 patch for that game should I patch the Hou (Steam) version or patch the original? Will it look and read better? The Hou Steam retranslation has only just completed chapter 3 of 8. It could be a very long time before the remaining 5 chapters are finished. Should I just stick to the first translation? Are all the PS3 patches for Higurashi final, or still in progress?

To answer this, for Umineko I would suggest just take the current PS3-fication version here, since it was currently completed version and it was quite satisfying for me. As for Higurashi, I suggested you wait until all 8 chapters retranslation released if you care about Higurashi voice here, since the first translation didn't had the voice patch. Hope my answer here was clear.

The PS3fication patch that exists looks good, but it runs at 640x480 and there is no settings menu for adjusting audio levels (I normally turn music down and voices up, with SFX being somewhere in between).

I figure the PS3fication patch to the MG version should result in a better final product, but who knows how long this will take or how long 5-8 will take to release.

The russian PS3 port project is still in alpha stage and only the first few chapters have started. This is very early in development, and it sounds like it will be difficult to get running.

I wish someone paid Alchemist for the license to get an official project. Or if Alchemist would release a translation so we can buy it on PS3 in english. All they'd have to do is license the fan translation.

In regard of your wish to Alchemist, unfortunately it's impossible because back at April 2016, Alchemist was declared bankruptcy. The only way to achieve your wish is to find out who was in charge of Alchemist assets than hope to whoever in charge would be do what's your wish here.

51 minutes ago, lostn said:

The PS3fication patch that exists looks good, but it runs at 640x480 and there is no settings menu for adjusting audio levels (I normally turn music down and voices up, with SFX being somewhere in between).

I figure the PS3fication patch to the MG version should result in a better final product, but who knows how long this will take or how long 5-8 will take to release.

The russian PS3 port project is still in alpha stage and only the first few chapters have started. This is very early in development, and it sounds like it will be difficult to get running.

I wish someone paid Alchemist for the license to get an official project. Or if Alchemist would release a translation so we can buy it on PS3 in english. All they'd have to do is license the fan translation.

What? Mine was Widescreen, not 4:3.  The PS3Fication patch makes the game 1280 x 720p.  The MG Version is not 4x the resolution, where did you get that idea?

7 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

What? Mine was Widescreen, not 4:3.  The PS3Fication patch makes the game 1280 x 720p.  The MG Version is not 4x the resolution, where did you get that idea?

The patch for the original game using the nscripter engine is 640x480. What you downloaded wasn't that, but was the russian developed PS3 to PC port, a different thing entirely.

9 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

That is very weird.. I ran the latest version, and it's the same res, 640x480. Did you run the english executable in a sub folder?

As for 4x the resolution, https://vndb.org/r41280

Says it runs at 1280x960 which is 4x the resolution of 640x480.

The MG version on Steam is 4:3 also btw.

Are you sure your 720p game is running at the correct aspect ratio?

No...even the original one requires the base game to patch it to.

The Russian game does require the base game also.. Did you complete this version of the game? Could you post a screenshot of it?

Here's how it looks for me. Is this the version you are playing? There is no settings menu in this version of the game. The BGM is too loud.

The backlog is not very good either. It doesn't tell you who said what. Even the text boxes could be improved. It has the name of who is speaking, but in the beginning before you know the characters well enough to put a name to a face, you won't know which person is Kinzo, since both sprites are on screen at the same time, and they don't darken the one who isn't speaking.

Umineko.jpg

Also your math seems off...definitely not 4x. 

Let's talk about math for a moment.

1280x960 = 1,228,800 pixels

640x480 = 307,200 pixels

1,228,800 / 307,20 = 4

Well what do you know. When you double both dimensions of a rectangle, due to the square relationship of area, you're multiplying the area (or in this case, resolution) by a factor of 4. If you triple the dimensions, the resulting area/resolution is 9 times greater. If you quadruple the dimensions, the resulting resolution will be 16 times the original.

Resolution is just area measured in pixels.

The new MG official english release is 4X the resolution of the original with the ugly looking sprites. That is a pure and simple fact, taught in middle school mathematics class.