Umineko When They Cry - Question Arcs

Eh? They're still using original backgrounds when they could use the PS3 ones or whatever, and no voice? Doesn't seem like a very good decision to basically release an inferior version. :/ Also they release Higurashi 1 episode at a time, and Umineko 4 at a time? So many questions... I'd probably know the answers if I'd at all followed what Mangagamer does, but alas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, to answer your questions that seems to be precisely that same VN, with https://vndb.org/v2153 being the other 4 chapters. And IMO it's much better if you read Higurashi first, because otherwise there are a few minor references you won't pick up on and spoilers you might notice, but if you don't want to read Higurashi for whatever reason, Umineko stands on its own just fine.

7 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Eh? They're still using original backgrounds when they could use the PS3 ones or whatever, and no voice?

What... I thought it was the improved version with voice... Okay i'm definitely not getting it then. Maybe when I've run out of things to read :wahaha:.

Thanks for the heads up and answers!

Just now, DharmaFreedom said:

What... I thought it was the improved version with voice... Okay i'm definitely not getting it then. Maybe when I've run out of things to read :wahaha:.

Thanks for the heads up and answers!

The video on the steam page doesn't have voice, and there doesn't seem to be anything mentioning voice, so yeah.

Here's what the original looks like after being patched with PS3 sprites and voices (it's literally a playthrough from the start so there shouldn't be any spoilers)

Higurashi really isn't necessary at all. I wouldn't say it's "much better" having read it, because as said it's just a few minor references. Just little "Oh, that's neat" things. 

Chapters 1-4 are approximately 50 hours in length, and then there's another 50 hours in chapters 5-8.

19 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Eh? They're still using original backgrounds when they could use the PS3 ones or whatever, and no voice? Doesn't seem like a very good decision to basically release an inferior version. :/ Also they release Higurashi 1 episode at a time, and Umineko 4 at a time? So many questions... I'd probably know the answers if I'd at all followed what Mangagamer does, but alas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Indeed, you would know all the answers! So, they CAN'T use the PS3 sprites, backgrounds, and voices. Alchemist owns those, not 07th expansion. And that means they need to engage in separate licensing agreements in order to utilize them. However, it seems that Alchemist is either unwilling or asking for too much. MangaGamer actually licensed a different set of alternate art from a pachinko game to avoid having R07 art, but that's only the sprites, not backgrounds. The good news? Fans always mod this stuff in pretty quickly. You can expect a fan patch that gives it all the PS3 art and voices. However, this is still an inferior experience to the PS3 port that russian team has been building. The downside to that one is that you need to own both the PS3 version and the Japanese PC version to actually use it. 

As for the release timings, Higurashi was released one chapter at a time because it was retranslated from scratch, one chapter at a time. Umineko is released four at a time because there was no retranslation, and instead they just gave it a much quicker editing and TLC pass. Releasing it in chapters didn't seem to make sense to them since they'd be churning through them so quickly, so they're just doing it in two big batches instead of eight.

edit: Also you should note that the video you linked is of a super dated way of playing the game. You should see what the thing looks like with the proper PS3 port, in all its 1080p glory, chock full of special effects.

7 minutes ago, Decay said:

Indeed, you would know all the answers! So, they CAN'T use the PS3 sprites, backgrounds, and voices. Alchemist owns those, not 07th expansion. And that means they need to engage in separate licensing agreements in order to utilize them. However, it seems that Alchemist is either unwilling or asking for too much. MangaGamer actually licensed a different set of alternate art from a pachinko game to avoid having R07 art, but that's only the sprites, not backgrounds. The good news? Fans always mod this stuff in pretty quickly. You can expect a fan patch that gives it all the PS3 art and voices. However, this is still an inferior experience to the PS3 port that russian team has been building. The downside to that one is that you need to own both the PS3 version and the Japanese PC version to actually use it. 

As for the release timings, Higurashi was released one chapter at a time because it was retranslated from scratch, one chapter at a time. Umineko is released four at a time because there was no retranslation, and instead they just gave it a much quicker editing and TLC pass. Releasing it in chapters didn't seem to make sense to them since they'd be churning through them so quickly, so they're just doing it in two big batches instead of eight.

Makes sense I guess.

7 minutes ago, Decay said:

edit: Also you should note that the video you linked is of a super dated way of playing the game. You should see what the thing looks like with the proper PS3 port, in all its 1080p glory, chock full of special effects.

I played it with the original sprites and no voices knowing full well there's a patch out, so maybe I'm just easy to please. Also is that the one that requires you to own both the PS3 version and the Japanese PC version? Because I own neither :makina:

Well, if you still want to read Umineko, instead of Mangagamer version I would suggest just search for modded version with PS3 Graphic and Voice. And Flutterz maybe already answered your question, but Umineko had 8 chapters, and what Mangagamer release was first 4 chapters. I'm sure that Mangagamer will release the rest 4 chapters later (Umineko Chiru).

I think in regard of Alchemist art, there's no way to got the license from them not that Alchemist was bankrupt. As for modding, well it was redundant since we already got PS3 Graphic and Voice mod for Umineko long time ago. I think unlike Higurashi there will be no modding project here, but I might be wrong here. Oh, and I think PS3 to PC port also redundant here, because I'd already satisfied with current Umineko mod here. Although the addition of CG Mode might made me change my mind in regard of PS3 to PC port though (Emphasize on might).

So that fan patched version is better than the Mangagamer version basically?  So rather than waiting to see if the Mangagamer version gets modded, would it be better to get the Japanese version and patch it?

Besides the quick editing and tl that Mangagamer did as Derg mentioned it would be the same thing right?

Thanks for the input and clarification guys!

1 minute ago, DharmaFreedom said:

So that fan patched version is better than the Mangagamer version basically?  So rather than waiting to see if the Mangagamer version gets modded, would it be better to get the Japanese version and patch it?

Besides the quick editing and tl that Mangagamer did as Derg mentioned it would be the same thing right?

Hell yes, I'm taking credit for this despite not commenting on it 8)

34 minutes ago, DharmaFreedom said:

It will almost certainly get modded, so I would just wait and see if I was you. The Witch Hunt translation wasn't great, so a bit of extra polish could actually go a long way. 

Having read the first two chapters of Higurashi on Steam and hearing that Umineko's better, I'm pretty excited for this. I don't think I'll wait for a patch, maybe when I'm done so I can reread and compare the experience. I don't mind the pachinko sprites at all since I'm just interested in the story and the music. Still, I have to admit the PS3 sprites look better and voice acting sounds good so I'll get the patch after I read the Mangagamer version.

well, PS3 patch actually has CGs, so that is a plus.

The only problem, like Decay said, is that the "final" patch is only available with both versions of the game, which I and I think everbody don't have.

I would also wait for a fan patch on MG's version if I were you, but it is not unreadable at all in the old version, so you really should try it if you don't want to wait

I  dont know if it is here that i should post, but i am currently playing Umineko, and i have finished the episode 1, i am wondering if i can skip the george/shannon part and all the boring conversation between them to go straight at the moment where we see Battler

19 hours ago, Haruhiro said:

I  dont know if it is here that i should post, but i am currently playing Umineko, and i have finished the episode 1, i am wondering if i can skip the george/shannon part and all the boring conversation between them to go straight at the moment where we see Battler

Absolutely not.

On 9.7.2016 at 2:27 PM, Haruhiro said:

If you don't like that, Umineko might just not be your kind of VN.

On 7/9/2016 at 5:27 AM, Haruhiro said:

You can but then you'll miss key scenes relating to the mystery. You can very well try and figure out "who dunnit" and "how dunnit" just by jumping to the core questions, but you'll miss the "why dunnit" if you ignore the small scenes like that.

1 hour ago, Hijiri said:

You can but then you'll miss key scenes relating to the mystery. You can very well try and figure out "who dunnit" and "how dunnit" just by jumping to the core questions, but you'll miss the "why dunnit" if you ignore the small scenes like that.

Well for now, i believe in magic and in Beatrice's power  :miyako: Anyway i have followed your instructions and i didn't skip those parts !