Discussion about Key

pb08

I started rereading Clannad on steam and tought something,  does Clannad ,Kanon and Little busters happen on the same universe?

My arguments are : Ayu

projection and recovery

and makoto.
All the story of little busters.
Nagisa

recovery and light orbs that looks like the enforced run of rin2 and refrain 

Also that brings the question about

the ending from Tomoyo after , because if all routes of clannad happened wouldnt tomoya have be able to cure himself or tomoyo have the same light orbs?

14 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Cancer.

Enough said.

He didn't ask for anyone's opinion of Key

I hate to have to phrase it this way, but if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything

As an answer to the question, I've seen more than one fan theory about key games sharing universes, but I think it's mostly just due to Maeda's writing style. here's a similar thread on /r/ https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/19kn43/dumb_fantheory_all_key_vns_are_in_the_same/

3 minutes ago, iamnoob said:

Maybe maybe not. 

It's probably because it's done by the same writer?

So its lazy writing because at least on little busters its almost the same idea , if you consider the ending of refrain the

real world, its also time travel or same taht happened on clannad

49 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

HALF-OT:

Is Tomoyo's route subpar or is CLANNAD entirely like that?

Tomoyo After intrigued me being not placed in an High School as usual, therefore I decided to read CLANNAD Tomoyo's route but I didn't like it very much.

I liked her route but i think for what people said nagisa is better . why didnt you like her route?

1 hour ago, WinterfuryZX said:

HALF-OT:

Is Tomoyo's route subpar or is CLANNAD entirely like that?

Tomoyo After intrigued me being not placed in an High School as usual, therefore I decided to read CLANNAD Tomoyo's route but I didn't like it very much.

The routes are not that great, however I love the comedy in the common route and how all the characters interacted with each other. The only route that was great was the true after story. 

2 hours ago, pb08 said:

So its lazy writing because at least on little busters its almost the same idea , if you consider the ending of refrain the

Reveal hidden contents

real world, its also time travel or same taht happened on clannad

ding ding ding ding ding! 

I like you. 

I didn't read all, but I think Clannad and Kanon are indeed similar, mostly because of the idea of miracles, wishes, and things like that. However, I can't see Rewrite being in the same universe of those two, or Angel Beats! being shared with any of the other stories at all - but I only watched the anime so far.

If you read the true route in Rewrite, you know that it is kind of impossible to consider it "one" timeline anyway, so where would Clannad fit in that? Only if

all routes in all games happen for the same reason, of the world restarting every time, which would explain how we do the same things over and over with variations until we get all girls[\spoiler]

However, Rewrite and Charlotte could totally be on the same universe, since both have super powers and "changing the past" abilities available

1 hour ago, Silvz said:

I didn't read all, but I think Clannad and Kanon are indeed similar, mostly because of the idea of miracles, wishes, and things like that. However, I can't see Rewrite being in the same universe of those two, or Angel Beats! being shared with any of the other stories at all - but I only watched the anime so far.

If you read the true route in Rewrite, you know that it is kind of impossible to consider it "one" timeline anyway, so where would Clannad fit in that? Only if

Reveal hidden contents

all routes in all games happen for the same reason, of the world restarting every time, which would explain how we do the same things over and over with variations until we get all girls[\spoiler]

However, Rewrite and Charlotte could totally be on the same universe, since both have super powers and "changing the past" abilities available

Never played rewrite so cant say .

1 hour ago, solidbatman said:

ding ding ding ding ding! 

I like you. 

for what i read only place that i can see another part that is lazy writing is ayu route and the end of tomoyo after, the last one didnt read but by the coments the

reason for the cyrurgy looks too much forced

I don't think Key stories share a universe. Each one has some amount of magic, but the nature of that magic is pretty different in each one. I admit, though, that since it generally isn't very well-defined, this is certainly debatable. The exception would be Rewrite, in that the magic there is relatively clearly defined, and thus often quite a bit more gratifying to see in action. Modern fantasy author Brandon Sanderson has interesting things to say about poorly-defined magic systems vs. well-defined, and I'd encourage you to read it. I think he accurately points out the problem that leads you to condemn the true ending of Little Busters! as lazy writing: http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/

2 hours ago, xToki said:

Speak of Key, what happened to *cough* Harmonia *cough*? :makina:

They fairly recently announced they were still planning to release it in 2016: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-05-26/visual-art-key-harmonia-kinetic-novel-delayed-again/.102521

28 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I don't think Key stories share a universe. Each one has some amount of magic, but the nature of that magic is pretty different in each one. I admit, though, that since it generally isn't very well-defined, this is certainly debatable. The exception would be Rewrite, in that the magic there is relatively clearly defined, and thus often quite a bit more gratifying to see in action. Modern fantasy author Brandon Sanderson has interesting things to say about poorly-defined magic systems vs. well-defined, and I'd encourage you to read it. I think he accurately points out the problem that leads you to condemn the true ending of Little Busters! as lazy writing: http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/

They fairly recently announced they were still planning to release it in 2016: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-05-26/visual-art-key-harmonia-kinetic-novel-delayed-again/.102521

I didnt codemn refrain as lazy written i said that create at least 3 games with almost the same magic system if on different universes is lazy writtten as seem here:

7 hours ago, iamnoob said:

Maybe maybe not. 

It's probably because it's done by the same writer?

7 hours ago, pb08 said:

Hide contents

real world, its also time travel or same that happened on clannad

I am going to read the article .Ps i like little busters kanon and clanand , i am only making a point of the end of tomoyo after and the magic

2 hours ago, pb08 said:

I didnt codemn refrain as lazy written i said that create at least 3 games with almost the same magic system if on different universes is lazy writtten as seem here:

I am going to read the article .Ps i like little busters kanon and clanand , i am only making a point of the end of tomoyo after and the magic

Ahh, fair enough. In that case, I suspect the article accurately points out (probably only some of) why @solidbatman condemns the ending of Little Busters! as lazy writing, then :sachi:

I'll really check out Sanderson's thing later. Japanese games (VNs) may have their own particular brand of fantasy, but it still follows the rules for fantasy fiction.

Although, in Key's traditional flavour, the drama and the feelz are more important even that consistency. It doesn't matter if the game makes sense, the focus is whether it moved you or not. At least, whole sense; because of that, the "mechanics" of the plot are somewhat hidden, obscure, or just unclear. And know what, in truth it doesn't need to be clearly explained, as it's not the point.

Rewrite, on the other hand... like most of their recent works (Charlotte, huh) it bites more than it can chew with its plot. I only have cleared one route, and what I saw didn't fit my tastes.

17 hours ago, pb08 said:

I liked her route but i think for what people said nagisa is better . why didnt you like her route?

It is... dull... the drama is based on her succeding in becoming the seitokaichou and stupid society constraints such title birings upon her, it isn't engaging at all.

2 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

It is... dull... the drama is based on her succeding in becoming the seitokaichou and stupid society constraints such title birings upon her, it isn't engaging at all.

so probably you are going to like the other routes more, i liked kyou route too try it.

Just now, WinterfuryZX said:

I'm playing tomoyo after right now, who knows when and if I'll read another CLANNAD route.

i on the other hand dont have any will to read tomoyo after , after knowing how it ends I simply ignore it

4 hours ago, Okarin said:

Although, in Key's traditional flavour, the drama and the feelz are more important even that consistency. It doesn't matter if the game makes sense, the focus is whether it moved you or not. At least, whole sense; because of that, the "mechanics" of the plot are somewhat hidden, obscure, or just unclear. And know what, in truth it doesn't need to be clearly explained, as it's not the point.

I firmly agree. I love Little Busters! especially (less so, earlier Key works that I've played), probably in part because of the vagueness of everything. I think it gave just enough detail for me to fill in the pieces in my own mind, and I found the resulting story very emotionally satisfying. So, the approach may be flawed in some ways and come off as lazy to some people, but it certainly worked for me.