Would you purchase a JP VN with English dub only? (Without original VA)

WinterfuryZX

Would you purchase a JP VN with English dub only? (Without original VA)  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a JP VN with English dub only? (Without original VA)

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I've never encountered a Japanese eroge with an English dub, so this is a truly bizarre hypothetical scenario.

Eroge are actually out of the question, those company I mentioned will never touch them.

EDIT: It could happen with console-only games, like it happened with many JRPG localization including Persona and Trails of Cold Steel.

Sure. I  mean, yes I'd likely complain aplenty about it, but given the bullshit licensing some voice acting has to go through in Japan, I find it pointless to be picky over it. It is difficult for me to detest any voice acting so much to the point of not playing a game over it. Especially on PC since if it is actively detrimental to the VN it can likely be patched some way.

My answer here would be nope. Not because the quality of dub voice, but rather I'd choose the 'other way' to get the games if they're available (The English dub games of course). Personally I had no problem with English dubbed game. Just my opinion here, okay.

PS - Both of 'other way' and dubbing here was very divisive topic, so I'd not interested to had debate regarding those.

English anime dubs make me cringe to no end - I can't listen to them for even a minute. In fact, they were my primary reason for learning Japanese. VN's would probably be no different.

Sure, you could mute the voices and just read the subtitles. But why spend money on the game at that point?

As sanahtlig said it's a weird scenario, but I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with it. As long as the voice acting isn't god-awful (which seems to be a common consensus that it would be), then I'd be okay.

Just hire some reasonable actors that don't make everyone wanna puke in their mouth, and it'll be great. Or at the very least, alright.

You have to understand voice acting in Japan is a big deal. The original Japanese voices are a treat to the fans and can even be part of the reason they like the game. Heck, some voice actresses have such a huge following people will literally buy the things they participate in just for them. One of my friends is a Hanazawa Kana fanboy and he literally washes his money away to buy any CD, DVD or game that has her voice in it.

I have nothing against dubbing a game in another language, but please preserve the original voice acting as well for those of us who actually prefer the game that way, it doesn't hurt anybody to do so.

And before you say "but that will force devs to make subs and that costs money", well any decent game should have subs for the hearing impaired anyway so that's not really an argument.

I understand royalties can be a bitch, but dubbing an entire game from scratch costs a ton of money too.

6 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

You have to understand voice acting in Japan is a big deal. The original Japanese voices are a treat to the fans and can even be part of the reason they like the game. Heck, some voice actresses have such a huge following people will literally buy the things they participate in just for them. One of my friends is a Hanazawa Kana fanboy and he literally washes his money away to buy any CD, DVD or game that has her voice in it.

I have nothing against dubbing a game in another language, but please preserve the original voice acting as well for those of us who actually prefer the game that way, it doesn't hurt anybody to do so.

And before you say "but that will force devs to make subs and that costs money", well any decent game should have subs for the hearing impaired anyway so that's not really an argument.

I understand royalties can be a bitch, but dubbing an entire game from scratch costs a ton of money too.

It's still a lot easier to license VA's, rather than create a whole dub from scratch. The whole native-language-dubbing in licensed anime does not really make any sense, considering majority of people prefers subs.