Steam Greenlight manipulation

Suzu Fanatic

I mean, I already believed this happened with some of the games, but this is just pathetic. Greenlight truly was a mistake.

PS: Also glad to see Jim calling out G2A for its shadyness at one point in the video. Seriously, that website is as much of a scam as any other key reselling website.

I can actually see how what Sterling describes Yolo Army as doing would be mostly defensible.

Start with a Steam group organized simply to encourage voting on arbitrary titles (votes for any title at all count).  In exchange for proof of participation, it gives out free stuff.  No foul here.

Now add in a limited selection: your votes only count if you vote on a game from an approved list.  This is still defensible: the group is simply promoting games of interest to them.  This is what you might call "gaming activism".

Now add in that the group's creators receive incentives from participating developers.  This is now essentially affiliate marketing--likely a direct breach of Steam Greenlight policy, but still common nonetheless.

Consider the social media campaigns that companies use to promote their games: like our social media pages and get entered into a raffle for free stuff!  Is that really all that different from what Yolo Army is doing?

Consider crowdfunding: providing incentives for users to directly market to each other.  In a way, crowdfunding is a form of multi-level marketing, isn't it?  Such campaigns often encourage users to vote on Steam Greenlight as well.

From my vantage point, all of these activities have a certain level of shadiness to them.  Yet as long as we benefit or games we like benefit, we turn a blind eye to them.

1 minute ago, sanahtlig said:

From my vantage point, all of these activities have a certain level of shadiness to them.  Yet as long as we benefit or we see a net benefit to the activity, we turn a blind eye to them.

>Steam being flooded with cancer
>Net benefit

a272ec4eb2268bf567e8fa1cbfadafd3.jpg

This explains how dogshit like Yohjo Simulator came to light I guess.

I think they do need a mediating board (or if they have one already, one with a modicum of standards) to oversee what goes through on Greenlight. Democracy is all very well, but even the greatest ideas ( :makina: ) need vetoing every now and then.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

>Steam being flooded with cancer
>Net benefit

a272ec4eb2268bf567e8fa1cbfadafd3.jpg

It's mostly like this to the member of the YOLO (Dear gawd what a fucking stupid term) Army:

"I get a free key, some developer gets his game greenlit. Not like I have to buy the game, and it's just data anyway, so where's the harm?"

The only potential losers in it are possible decent games that could have been greenlit instead. Of course, that's sort of subjective.

Gaining entry to Steam became a farce a few years back when they decided to stop curating games (time consuming, messy, almost impossible) and just open the floodgates. The quality of games on Steam started to go down at that point. I'm not going to get angry over the perceived manipulation of a broken gateway process. A lot of shit is going to get through these days, it just depends what shit gets through.