Re:zero discussion (and some other non important Summer 2016 anime)

Nosebleed

19 hours ago, Barktooth said:

I am even more behind, but, I also started watching Re:Zero today. Only 6 episodes in but it's a pretty fun series so far, definitely above my expectations. I hope there's more Felt coming soon, she is best girl for me <3

"pretty fun series so far"

< has watched the currently available episodes (16) = AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ay mate, the "fun" that awaits you :holo:

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

"pretty fun series so far"

< has watched the currently available episodes (16) = AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ay mate, the "fun" that awaits you :holo:

Call me an asshole but i enjoy everything that happens to subaru. 

9 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Call me an asshole but i enjoy everything that happens to subaru. 

Well, I myself enjoy the idea of breaking the classic stupid MC who gets everything done his way because he's the hero of the story. Re:Zero feels like poetic justice for the isekai genre.

17 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Well, I myself enjoy the idea of breaking the classic stupid MC who gets everything done his way because he's the hero of the story. Re:Zero feels like poetic justice for the isekai genre.

He is stupid, and that's why i enjoy him getting rekt, he get what all these classic MCs deserve.

Alderamin on the sky...MY god, that is my show. 

The protag is your typical lazy genius...at the exception that he actually banged more chicks than you'll ever bang in your whole life. :holo: He basically thinks with his second brain. :holo: 

49 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Alderamin on the sky...MY god, that is my show. 

The protag is your typical lazy genius...at the exception that he actually banged more chicks than you'll ever bang in your whole life. :holo: He basically thinks with his second brain. :holo: 

I'm at the point that simply because the MC is a talented individual who knows this and acts at least partially based on that, makes the show worth watching. Now I simply need a half-decent premise, and it'll be an easy watch.

I mean, if we have to keep getting the same shit cuz the Japanese have been stuck for years, at least I want somewhat entertaining cliches.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

I'm at the point that simply because the MC is a talented individual who knows this and acts at least partially based on that, makes the show worth watching. Now I simply need a half-decent premise, and it'll be an easy watch.

I mean, if we have to keep getting the same shit cuz the Japanese have been stuck for years, at least I want somewhat entertaining cliches.

What about WW1-like setting? 

Because no, it's not a school academy anime, i can assure you of that, if you feared that.

7 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

What about WW1-like setting? 

Because no, it's not a school academy anime, i can assure you of that, if you feared that.

I fear anime in general. This might be a WW1-like setting, but they are most certainly gonna populate it with anime characters.

Cheers to the anime adaptations of Key's Planetarian and Rewrite!!!

All the feels in the world for Planetarian...five episodes of greatness. And there will also be a movie this September! I can't wait to cry my heart out!!

But how about Rewrite? Well, still on a bumpy road...but we'll get there, eventually..I hope so!

But then I wish both VNs got adapted by the same studio. 

20 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I fear anime in general. This might be a WW1-like setting, but they are most certainly gonna populate it with anime characters.

What a curious statement this is. Makes one wonder what you might be doing watching anime in general. :sachi:

As for me, ReLIFE is an anime from this season, is it not? If so, then permit my concise summary of my thoughts (now with extra pleonasms):
It was magnificent, and retains much more potential. I cannot wait for an eventual sequel. I'm especially excited over what was revealed on the last (or perhaps, second to last?) episode. I keenly await with avid enthusiasm to see what will be done with that character.

1 hour ago, Tiagofvarela said:

What a curious statement this is. Makes one wonder what you might be doing watching anime in general. :sachi:

As for me, ReLIFE is an anime from this season, is it not? If so, then permit my concise summary of my thoughts (now with extra pleonasms):
It was magnificent, and retains much more potential. I cannot wait for an eventual sequel. I'm especially excited over what was revealed on the last (or perhaps, second to last?) episode. I keenly await with avid enthusiasm to see what will be done with that character.

I generally try watching good anime. The only difference is that which I found cringe-worthy before, now it's almost insufferable. Considering that there IS good anime, I do not take the amount of bad ones as an excuse for their own existence, or tradition as an explanation why some authors just surrender the idea of making their characters, dunno, at least somewhat close to human and believable.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

I generally try watching good anime. The only difference is that which I found cringe-worthy before, now it's almost insufferable. Considering that there IS good anime, I do not take the amount of bad ones as an excuse for their own existence, or tradition as an explanation why some authors just surrender the idea of making their characters, dunno, at least somewhat close to human and believable.

Had I to hazard a guess, perhaps some people like anime characters?
If I were looking for human and believable characters, I would, generally, look elsewhere* with all due reason.

*Perhaps an 'elsewhere' where believable and human characters are the norm. Perhaps, indeed...

Regardless, I am aware there exist some anime which do not fit the norm, and which you'd enjoy wholly. Many great classics, in fact, are such anime. Not my particular cup of tea, but I can see why you'd try to keep on hunting for such -- the particular kind of anime you enjoy.
I'll just remain content that the current norm is the kind of anime I'd enjoy, filled to the brim with anime characters.

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

Had I to hazard a guess, perhaps some people like anime characters?
If I were looking for human and believable characters, I would, generally, look elsewhere* with all due reason.

*Perhaps an 'elsewhere' where believable and human characters are the norm. Perhaps, indeed...

Regardless, I am aware there exist some anime which do not fit the norm, and which you'd enjoy wholly. Many great classics, in fact, are such anime. Not my particular cup of tea, but I can see why you'd try to keep on hunting for such -- the particular kind of anime you enjoy.
I'll just remain content that the current norm is the kind of anime I'd enjoy, filled to the brim with anime characters.

Yet you just praised ReLife, a show that put a deal of effort into its characters and development. Paint me shocked.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

Yet you just praised ReLife, a show that put a deal of effort into its characters and development. Paint me shocked.

Are you aware of whether or not my praise toward ReLIFE comes directly from their characters and given development? Furthermore, I don't necessarily dislike developed characters -- depending on the genre, I'll take anything.

Allow me to expound: The reasons I liked ReLIFE are four in particular.
1) The concept of putting an adult in a high school student's body has great comedic potential. The first few episodes made good use of this, though unfortunately it was later swapped for more dramatic situations -- situations I'm not quite as much of a fan of. I'm hoping for more focus on the comedy in later seasons.
2) Chizuru's honesty and bluntness made her a very amusing character. Regardless of her existent motivations or otherwise, her attempts at social interaction were very engaging. This sort of character archetype always attracts my undivided attention, and this anime was no exception.
3)  The idea of a character being altruistic and helping others is yet another situation this show employed with the lead character, and I rather appreciated it for it.
4) Finally, it contained some amount of romance, and some heavy hinting at even more of such. This is the main thing I'm looking forward to in future seasons. I wonder if the protagonist's own high school love will get developed any further.

In light of this information, I'll defer the judgement to you on whether or not I enjoyed ReLife solely because the show "put a great deal of effort into its characters and development".

My point, in short, is that developed and characterised characters are not the main reason I watch anime, but don't necessarily detract from the experience either.

2 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Are you aware of whether or not my praise toward ReLIFE comes directly from their characters and given development? Furthermore, I don't necessarily dislike developed characters -- depending on the genre, I'll take anything.

Allow me to expound: The reasons I liked ReLIFE are four in particular.
1) The concept of putting an adult in a high school student's body has great comedic potential. The first few episodes made good use of this, though unfortunately it was later swapped for more dramatic situations -- situations I'm not quite as much of a fan of. I'm hoping for more focus on the comedy in later seasons.
2) Chizuru's honesty and bluntness made her a very amusing character. Regardless of her existent motivations or otherwise, her attempts at social interaction were very engaging. This sort of character archetype always attracts my undivided attention, and this anime was no exception.
3)  The idea of a character being altruistic and helping others is yet another situation this show employed with the lead character, and I rather appreciated it for it.
4) Finally, it contained some amount of romance, and some heavy hinting at even more of such. This is the main thing I'm looking forward to in future seasons. I wonder if the protagonist's own high school love will get developed any further.

In light of this information, I'll defer the judgement to you on whether or not I enjoyed ReLife solely because the show "put a great deal of effort into its characters and development".

My point, in short, is that developed and characterised characters are not the main reason I watch anime, but don't necessarily detract from the experience either.

And never did I say that you probably enjoyed it solely due to them, or did I ever mention my standards being high or elitist-like (rather, I quite literally said that I simply expect some bare minimums, and I also added that I can quite get over it if at least the anime has some other things going for it, like an interesting premise -like in the case of Alderamin- and so on).

23 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I mentioned the characters in ReLife because that was the general core of the topic in our conversation.

Consequently, there's no reason to believe that characters make or break a particular anime for me, but rather that I simply put a deal of importance on them, and sometimes I have a tough time enjoyed an anime that I would otherwise, if it's very clear that the author has put no effort in them, to the point that not even their names stuck with you, or that you have a tough time caring at all for their objectives and hardships.

10 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

And never did I say that you probably enjoyed it solely due to them, or did I ever mention my standards being high or elitist-like (rather, I quite literally said that I simply expect some bare minimums, and I also added that I can quite get over it if at least the anime has some other things going for it, like an interesting premise -like in the case of Alderamin- and so on).

I mentioned the characters in ReLife because that was the general core of the topic in our conversation.

How coincidental; neither did I*.

Pardon me, I may be confused.

When I stated that developed and characterised characters alone are not my particular cup of tea, you sarcastically brought the fact I enjoyed ReLife into the picture. I thought you were, then, pointing out that I do, regardless of what I may claim, enjoy shows with developed characters, which is true.

If that is not what you intended to convey, then I'll need you to be clearer. How does my enjoying ReLife in any way correlate to my statements of not watching anime for the character development?

10 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Consequently, there's no reason to believe that characters make or break a particular anime for me, but rather that I simply put a deal of importance on them, and sometimes I have a tough time enjoyed an anime that I would otherwise, if it's very clear that the author has put no effort in them, to the point that not even their names stuck with you, or that you have a tough time caring at all for their objectives and hardships.

As for my part, I can easily enjoy any such anime. Envy me, elitist! :holo:

*Until just now, elitist.

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

How coincidental; neither did I*.

Pardon me, I may be confused.

When I stated that developed and characterised characters alone are not my particular cup of tea, you sarcastically brought the fact I enjoyed ReLife into the picture. I thought you were, then, pointing out that I do, regardless of what I may claim, enjoy shows with developed characters, which is true.

If that is not what you intended to convey, then I'll need you to be clearer. How does my enjoying ReLife in any way correlate to my statements of not watching anime for the character development?

As for my part, I can easily enjoy any such anime. Envy me, elitist! :holo:

*Until just now, elitist.

Does your act try to hide the shame and foolishness of your rash acts and assumptions? :illya:

Why I pointed out the ReLife character things? Because in the previous comment you had made the weird correlation of "human characters" - "need to look somewhere else". And, like I earlier said, I find that a very poor excuse from the genre to save face when authors just decide not to give any thought at all to characters.

I should add that this comes from an earlier, different discussion with Kurisu, in which I was using the term "anime characters" to specifically speak about the most cliche and horrible of the whole anime world. Consequently, it's easy to see why I would find it ironic if your comment told me that maybe I should go look somewhere else if I wanted characters with a minimum degree of quality, as if implying that anime simply has shit characters, always has, and always will.

I took as a given that you had been either checking our convs or inferred the information, so that's why my comments had some connotations that I simply didn't write at first (when it was a conversation between Kurisu and I only), but it seems this wasn't the case, and you pretty much were discussion a point I had never made nor attempted to imply or hint at.

And, well, if you like bad anime, you like bad anime, whatever floats your boat. In my particular case, I generally like anime that's either good and/or entertaining in one way or another.

I also do not envy you, because as an elitist I'm contractually obligated to regard you with contempt, and send the occasional sneer at you.

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Why I pointed out the ReLife character things? Because in the previous comment you had made the weird correlation of "human characters" - "need to look somewhere else". And, like I earlier said, I find that a very poor excuse from the genre to save face when authors just decide not to give any thought at all to characters.

I also do not envy you, because as an elitist I'm contractually obligated to regard you with contempt, and send the occasional sneer at you.

I see now. I derived no such connotation and was merely making fun of the formidable choice of wording: "Anime Characters".
If you're looking for human characters, you'd look in humans. If you're looking for anime characters, you'd look in anime.

That sorry excuse for a logic train aside, it is true that anime in general contains characters that you dislike, to such an extent that you'd go so far as to label them "anime characters"; prompting my suggestion.
It doesn't mean the anime scene doesn't have non-anime characters, but neither should it mean it should stop having anime characters, either.

I rather like anime characters, you see? And if people didn't like them too, then nobody would watch anime, right? It is evident, then, that some people, myself included, like anime characters, or else there'd be no audience, and all anime would instead have non-anime characters -- whatever that's supposed to mean.

I understand your regrettable situation. I, too, have signed a contract that forces me to remove all niceties from my posts on the forums. Apparently, I was "forcibly suppressing myself" and "being too bland".

13 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Does your act try to hide the shame and foolishness of your rash acts and assumptions? :illya:

I'll have you clarify this statement further, lest I embarrass myself due to your lack of care in making discernible statements. What do you mean by this?

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

I see now. I derived no such connotation and was merely making fun of the formidable choice of wording: "Anime Characters".
If you're looking for human characters, you'd look in humans. If you're looking for anime characters, you'd look in anime.

That sorry excuse for a logic train aside, it is true that anime in general contains characters that you dislike, to such an extent that you'd go so far as to label them "anime characters"; prompting my suggestion.
It doesn't mean the anime scene doesn't have non-anime characters, but neither should it mean it should stop having anime characters, either.

I rather like anime characters, you see? And if people didn't like them too, then nobody would watch anime, right? It is evident, then, that some people, myself included, like anime characters, or else there'd be no audience, and all anime would instead have non-anime characters -- whatever that's supposed to mean.

I understand your regrettable situation. I, too, have signed a contract that forces me to remove all niceties from my posts on the forums. Apparently, I was "forcibly suppressing myself" and "being too bland".

I'll clarify, then, as I was being grossly oversimplying. First of all, I guess that better wording would have been to call them "humane" or human-like characters. Basically, characters that feel like actual people, and not whose name could just be changed for "a statement for a hard-headed character", "the hot girl", "the perverted best friend". To be even more precise, there's a difference between a character who grows from an archetype, and one that's nothing but a walking cliche, right? Like, there's tsunderes that have a reason for being so. Their character has had harsh expectations on it, or had troubling early years in their life due to social interactions, whatever. Basically, some tsunderes you look at them and think "yeah, I can see why this character would be like this". Then, other characters are tsunderes because the author wants them to be, and they make no sense whatsoever, randomly switching their personality, and so on, which kills any attempt to relate to them. And so on with archetypes and cliches in general.

Consequently, what I meant is that I generally dislike anime characters that have literally nothing going for them. In the same way that I'll dislike this kind of characters in films, series, books, and so on. Why did I care about the characters in ReLife and enjoy the anime so much? Because they felt alive, I believed them to be students, to struggle with the problems and hardships that they do in the anime. Why do I hate anime like The Asterisk War? Because it's the complete opposite, their characters being depressingly dull, flat, and simply general concepts on a pair of legs and spoken lines.

Again, I'll also mention that flat or "somewhat boring" characters are also fine, if the anime itself is entertaining enough. Alderamin, as I previously used it as an example, doesn't carry its interest in its characters, but in the badass master tactician MC, and the rising sub-genre (or risen, since it's been a while) of the MC who people despise cuz the broken system fails to recognise their genius, and so they proceed to rub it in the face of the whole world (think Shokugeki no Soma, or Mahouka).

13 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I'll have you clarify this statement further, lest I embarrass myself due to your lack of care in making discernible statements. What do you mean by this?

I was mentioning what we've already discussed, that you inferred from my early quote something which I had not actually said or pretended to imply. And that following my post about "mate, you are discussing around a point I've not made at all", you then called me an elitist, which was somewhat ironic since I had just mentioned how the bases for calling me that were rather nonexistent. Which I'll take as a nicety, as we elitist are the cream of the cream.

Re;zero episode 17, seriously has he not learned anything these past 17 episodes?

Personally i feel like Subaru has not suffered enough, mostly because he does not take a single lesson out of it.

We are now in episode 17 and he still thinks anyone is going to listen to him if he yells at them to come along.
How about instead of yelling at Emilia that she has to come along you instead take a deep breath calm down and explain what is going on and what is going to happen.
Also if you cant tell her you wind back time every time you die, you instead tell her you come from a different dimension and use the cellphone and whatever other crap was in that shopping bag as proof.
So far he has not once tried to explain he came from a different world only that he resets every time he dies.