Re:zero discussion (and some other non important Summer 2016 anime)

Nosebleed

Annnnnnnd Prisma Illya also finished now. At least the last episode was way less rushed and better animated than ep 11 (and some Illya/Kuro fanservice in the bath, let's see if the BD will remove some of that fog :illya:

Also they already announced a movie adaption for the flashback arc :sacchan::sacchan:, a higher budget and more time to work with should solve most of the problems this season had.

2 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Accusing me from arrogance.

said the guy who's overglorifying Re;Zero like 999% of the time, i really don't know who's arrogant out there.

I'm discussing Re:Zero nonstop. Just randomly dropping in and saying "ignore the guy discussing, I've decided he's a fanboy and consequently should be ignored and his opinions dismissed without a care in the world" is, indeed, arrogant.

48 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I'm discussing Re:Zero nonstop. Just randomly dropping in and saying "ignore the guy discussing, I've decided he's a fanboy and consequently should be ignored and his opinions dismissed without a care in the world" is, indeed, arrogant.

Nope, what i said is that fanboys are not objective, i didn't specify at any time what fanboy from what series i talk about, heck i even gave examples about me or even Kaguya, at no moment i tried to make myself look like superior about you, and in my opinion, i think you're taking things too personally, we're not trying to destroy Re;Zero, not at all, and i'm quite surprised this thread is still alive, now that most of summer anime ended. 

Also you said it, you discuss Re;Zero endlessly, you're making it like it is a good thing, you just took in hostage a whole thread, that's extremely disrespectful. 

5 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Nope, what i said is that fanboys are not objective, i didn't specify at any time what fanboy from what series i talk about, heck i even gave examples about me or even Kaguya, at no moment i tried to make myself look like superior about you, and in my opinion, i think you're taking things too personally, we're not trying to destroy Re;Zero, not at all, and i'm quite surprised this thread is still alive, now that most of summer anime ended. 

7b81a1caff662373ee75186725ea7c09.png
Considering we were only speaking about Re:Zero (Jibril and I), I'd say it was quite implicit that you meant I'm a fanboy of Re:Zero. And then you said I shouldn't be listened to. And then, you do directly claim that you are talking about Re:Zero in your last line.

And yes, I know you are not trying to destroy Re:Zero or smth weird like that. My whole point is that it's quite ugly that I'm discussing (sometimes Jibril, sometimes havoc, etc), and suddenly a couple people come in, call me a fanboy and claim I should be ignored and my opinions disregarded. As you might imagine, it didn't sound like I was being praised, precisely. Just randomly saying that I'm a fanboy and consequently not objetive, means you are dismissing everything I've said, say and will say, no matter how elaborate and subjetive I am.

I'll be honest, i'm half sarcastic, only half, because i love dramatizing things.

What i said, is that being a fanboy isn't a bad thing, but it WILL cloud your judgement, no matter what you think, you can be Gandhi or the Buddha, if you're fan of something, it'll be very hard to be objective...is that bad? absolutely not. 

I'm gonna add a little rant, i'm still very angry you monopolized the whole thread for Re;Zero, i still think that was very disrespectful, and no one even appologized about that.

On 9/20/2016 at 11:26 AM, Flutterz said:

Cliffhangers are better than leaving something really important that happens at the end of the season until the start of the next season. Since the anime isn't an original story, pretty much everyone who is even slightly interested in there being a season 2 will find out that it's actually a cliffhanger. And even if it were an original story and there weren't anyone who could go around the internet yelling "Who's Rem?" it'd feel more like the writers couldn't think of anything good while writing season 1, but then when season 2 was confirmed they went "Hey how's this for a twist, right after where season 1 left off, turns out nobody remembers Rem!". Either way you might as well just put the cliffhanger in.

Well that depends though. Honestly wouldn't it be great for the twist to start immediately at the first episode of the second season? It's like reminding the audience "Hey, we're back and here's your daily dose of emotional rollercoaster". Hooking the audience from the very first minute is better than leaving audience craving for more than a year... Besides it's not like the WN readers are doing a crusade of telling everybody who watches Re Zero that the ending is actually a cliffhanger.

1 minute ago, Jibril said:

Well that depends though. Honestly wouldn't it be great for the twist to start immediately at the first episode of the second season? It's like reminding the audience "Hey, we're back and here's your daily dose of emotional rollercoaster". Hooking the audience from the very first minute is better than leaving audience craving for more than a year... Besides it's not like the WN readers are doing a crusade of telling everybody who watches Re Zero that the ending is actually a cliffhanger.

Honestly, I'd rather have a strong ending than a strong start, because you can have a strong middle right after a not-so-strong start. But if you have a weak ending you're stuck with it until the next season. Maybe that's just personal preference though. And sure, there might not be a crusade, but like I said, anyone who has the slightest interest in watching season 2 will do a google search or two and find out very quickly.

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I'll be honest, i'm half sarcastic, only half, because i love dramatizing things.

What i said, is that being a fanboy isn't a bad thing, but it WILL cloud your judgement, no matter what you think, you can be Gandhi or the Buddha, if you're fan of something, it'll be very hard to be objective...is that bad? absolutely not. 

I'm gonna add a little rant, i'm still very angry you monopolized the whole thread for Re;Zero, i still think that was very disrespectful, and no one even appologized about that.

There's no limit to the amount of topics that can be discussed. If no one speaks about other anime except the 3-4 people that used to frequent this thread, then that's all there will be, posts by those 3-4 people.

Regarding Re:Zero's ending, I feel like they just chickened out. Even if they aren't sure of a second season, that super cheesy, tame ending was very unfitting. People who have a strong interest will flock to the LN anyway, and anyone who was watching the anime just "because" won't care at all. So I don't see why they decided to go for an ending that sacrifices the series' coherence and one of Re:Zero's charm point just to content the minority of watchers who anyway won't really care or buy their products.

A half-assed ending in exchange of this ending being somewhat closed. Can't say I find it a sound decision, be it for quality or economically.

40 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Regarding Re:Zero's ending, I feel like they just chickened out. Even if they aren't sure of a second season, that super cheesy, tame ending was very unfitting. People who have a strong interest will flock to the LN anyway, and anyone who was watching the anime just "because" won't care at all. So I don't see why they decided to go for an ending that sacrifices the series' coherence and one of Re:Zero's charm point just to content the minority of watchers who anyway won't really care or buy their products.

A half-assed ending in exchange of this ending being somewhat closed. Can't say I find it a sound decision, be it for quality or economically.

For once, we agree about Re: Zero :Teeku:

43 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Um, no. A lot of people like anime but hates novels so that won't happen. I think you're assuming too much here expecting that the majority actually won't content to Re Zero's happy ending. I find it the opposite. The one's who aren't content are the original WN readers or the one who enjoys Re Zero's sadism. Economically speaking, this is the best they can do as this method of ending has been used multiple times by other popular anime. An example I can think of is SAO where it's first season is popular but it closes without a cliffhanger and so is it's second season even though the success guarantees further sequels.

Anime is still very unprofitable. It took a studio like White Fox to only flopped 2 or 3 shows down the line and they will be very close to bankruptcy and never making a season 2 of Re Zero. Besides it's not half-assed.... the last episode took a whopping 27 minutes run time. I doubt I would call that a half-assed ending.

Nope, much prefer the ending they chose and the breathing in he did before speaking at the end which only hinted at more drama. There really is nothing wrong with a happy ending, even if it is just the end of the first season. Sick of inconclusive endings in anime. This is not chickening out IMO as anime with concentrated seasons played sparsely is absolutely a different medium to continuously released light novels or manga. If they ended on drama, by the time they get around to animating another season in years' time we'll have long since lost interest in said drama.

Just started Re:zero - I suspect I'm in for a long, painful experience - based on what little I've seen of Subaru's personality. I really just don't find him funny - i find him stupid. :amane:

Gonna stick with it tho - a buddy of mine says it gets really good, so I'll hang on. But man, what I'd give for a likable protag - not the typical spaz's we get stuck with.

EDIT: Ok, finished episode 3 - He's not that bad - at least not as much as I feared he would be. Still a bit too goofy with the 4-wall jokes though, those turn me off bigtime. Still, show seems interesting enough :sachi:

2 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Just started Re:zero - I suspect I'm in for a long, painful experience - based on what little I've seen of Subaru's personality. I really just don't find him funny - i find him stupid. :amane:

Gonna stick with it tho - a buddy of mine says it gets really good, so I'll hang on. But man, what I'd give for a likable protag - not the typical spaz's we get stuck with.

EDIT: Ok, finished episode 3 - He's not that bad - at least not as much as I feared he would be. Still a bit too goofy with the 4-wall jokes though, those turn me off bigtime. Still, show seems interesting enough :sachi:

Spoiler

He gets worse later on, so much worse.

1 hour ago, havoc said:
  Hide contents

Mostly conforms to my personal opinion.

I'd say... about 70% for me, maybe. Some of his points strike in, while others are bit contradictory or too vague (for example, when he says that Subaru is sometimes and idiot and sometimes smart, just when the plot needs him to be, there's also a possible explanation for every situation, i.e. the stress of death and expectation of death probably doesn't allow him to think too clearly, or he doesn't explain about the white whale's power cuz 1. how does he convince people of that 2. what's the use? He doesn't even know how the whale does it, so they can't "prepare for it"). Or kind of how he says that he would usually frown on those tropes, but he can't in Re:Zero because they work just wonderfully as crafted and managed in the serie, yet immediately describes the serie as "so bad that it becomes so good."

Despite that, I'd say I do agree about 70%, maybe even 80%. Also kinda agrees with something I've said a few times about the show: Subaru is both the best and worst about Re:Zero. His semi-plot armour can sometimes be a difficult flaw, but he is ultimately what carries the show. I'll add that being unlikable is not a true flaw, but a character design. Subaru IS to be disliked, at least at first. It's the point of making him a stupid-ass otaku hikikomori who thinks he's found himself in a dream of fantasy.

Btw, best part of the review: the Subaru car puns.

PD: Was also watching Gigguk's review. I think it's quite telling that the "deepest" flaw most reviewers find/mention is that the story is super uncompleted, due to the work being... uncompleted itself. So, yeah, if that's the worst of the show... good for us.

16 hours ago, havoc said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He gets worse later on, so much worse.

Yikes...just finished episode 13.

Spoiler

He's really slipping off the deep end huh? Wonder if it's subtle manipulation by the witch, or simply his own screwed up feelings/stressed out mind that are at work here? Hope he chills out soon, really tough to watch someone so utterly deaf/blind to the feelings of the people around him.

1 hour ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Yikes...just finished episode 13.

Hide contents

He's really slipping off the deep end huh? Wonder if it's subtle manipulation by the witch, or simply his own screwed up feelings/stressed out mind that are at work here? Hope he chills out soon, really tough to watch someone so utterly deaf/blind to the feelings of the people around him.

My, you are going fast. You are getting into the "thick" part of the series, so let's see what you'll think of Subaru's ongoings and stuff.

7 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

My, you are going fast. You are getting into the "thick" part of the series, so let's see what you'll think of Subaru's ongoings and stuff.

Spoiler

It ended up going where I thought it would, metaphorical events symbolizing his own youthful and wanting heart - and eventually overcoming his own inner darkness. Love can be beautiful and freeing, but it can also by ugly, and overbearing. His final fight against sloth was basically him coming to terms with his own feelings about Emillia (or at least, that's what I took away from it).

I made one HUUUUUGE mistake though - I looked up what he was sopposed to say at the end of episode 25 though ...gods I wish I hadn't. Time will tell what the studio decides to do.

Rem best girl - the rest are at a even tie for 2nd place. (though Beako might have a slight lead >_>)

1 hour ago, Suzu Fanatic said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It ended up going where I thought it would, metaphorical events symbolizing his own youthful and wanting heart - and eventually overcoming his own inner darkness. Love can be beautiful and freeing, but it can also by ugly, and overbearing. His final fight against sloth was basically him coming to terms with his own feelings about Emillia (or at least, that's what I took away from it).

I made one HUUUUUGE mistake though - I looked up what he was sopposed to say at the end of episode 25 though ...gods I wish I hadn't. Time will tell what the studio decides to do.

Rem best girl - the rest are at a even tie for 2nd place. (though Beako might have a slight lead >_>)

true that, altough my personal opinion is that subara would have been better off if he was a little more like kanta from desert punk.
And by that i mean, I disliked subaru as a character and i truly wish he was not so dislikeable.
He was in more than one way the worst thing about the show, and in some ways also the best i just don't think the good about subaru made up for the bad. (not as a person but as a character)
Meanwhile kanta, well he is just as much of a dick, but in his case you just love to hate him. And that means there is no bad thing about his character despite well and truly hating him. 

4 minutes ago, havoc said:

true that, altough my personal opinion is that subara would have been better off if he was a little more like kanta from desert punk.
And by that i mean, I disliked subaru as a character and i truly wish he was not so dislikeable.
He was in more than one way the worst thing about the show, and in some ways also the best i just don't think the good about subaru made up for the bad. (not as a person but as a character)
Meanwhile kanta, well he is just as much of a dick, but in his case you just love to hate him. And that means there is no bad thing about his character despite well and truly hating him. 

I know this is cliche and has been said over and over again about Subaru but isn't his as a person supposed to be disliked? I mean, didn't he supposed to represent the average non-functioning member of society? The NEETs, the nerds, the "nice guys" or the special snowflake?