Re:zero discussion (and some other non important Summer 2016 anime)

Nosebleed

3 minutes ago, Jibril said:

It's still better than 90% of new anime this season..... I mean the first 10 minutes of the first episode is some masterpiece worthy intro.

Again, I don't pick up most anime, so I wouldn't know. Really the type that only watches one at a time. 

Still, those first 10 minutes are what really bothered me. Lightning hitting just at the right time to illuminate a psycho smile, blood splattering on a picture and crossing out the face of a character that just died... That type of thing makes for cool shots, but completely breaks any immersion I might have when I'm looking for realism, which I am, with a mafia story. 

Again, it could be a really good show. I didn't see anything wrong with it. It's just that I'm personally very bothered by that type of thing. Enough for me to drop it.  

5 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

Again, I don't pick up most anime, so I wouldn't know. Really the type that only watches one at a time. 

Still, those first 10 minutes are what really bothered me. Lightning hitting just at the right time to illuminate a psycho smile, blood splattering on a picture and crossing out the face of a character that just died... That type of thing makes for cool shots, but completely breaks any immersion I might have when I'm looking for realism, which I am, with a mafia story. 

Again, it could be a really good show. I didn't see anything wrong with it. It's just that I'm personally very bothered by that type of thing. Enough for me to drop it.  

To each of their own I suppose. I always loved mafia type anime and 91 Days does it quite good for me.

1 minute ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

This season is rather good, stop saying it's shitty, of course Re;Zero monopolize everything, but we had some real good and quite different anime. 

Not saying it's shitty but this season is just average at best. Re Zero isn't counted since it started at Spring. IMO I think this season most new or non-sequel noteworthy shows are only 91 Days and Mob Psycho 100. The rest are either average or a bit above average such as Tales of Zestiria, New Game, Kono Bijuts

But, Re;Zero is not stellar and not free of critics, White Fox totally fucked up the world building, at the point we just have hints, and nothing really solid, but it's for the sake of the story, so meh.

Also, even if the author seems to be anti-otaku, he doesn't even seem to lack using otaku things, and don't even tell me it's for social deconstruct... at what moment a trap char that has no plot use is relevant to any social deconstruct? But hey, nobody, and nothing is perfect. 

1 minute ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I disagree.

Orange is a damn great shoujo who actually attracted me, even if i hate shoujo.

91 Days is artsy as fuck

Arslan senki did step up it's game.

And of course, Re;Zero.

*coughcough* NON-SEQUEL OR NEW ANIME OF SUMMER *coughcough*

But yes Orange is also good which makes it three good shows this season. Still not much of a step up since Spring. Maybe I should also put Amaama to Inazuma in that list too. I just haven't continue it since episode 3 but the first 3 episodes are pretty good.

Re Zero is Spring season!!! :saber::saber::saber:

You can add Alderamin in the sky, quite surprised because the MAL reviews are globally really high.

But it's sad, the best part of this show, and from what i heard, it has some serious stuff, don't happen in the anime.

Also, i like that anime because the protag is into mothers, and that's great, a non-virgin protag for once. :holo: 

Tried most shows this season, and of shows I've made it this far watching (including double season shows)...

Alderamin's decent (it would be better without the spirits, they're pointless in the plot)

Amanchu's ok.

Ange Vierge is silly but ok for a fanservice show.

Days is good

Food wars 2 is very good

First love monster is kind of okay.

The outcast is forgettable even with Saori Hayami as a VA in it (one of my favourites, but at least she's also in Amaama)

Masou Gakuen is lulz bad but fun for the fanservice

Momokuri is good and sweet

New game is good

Orange is very good

Qualidea Code is borderline

ReZero as very good but not excellent

Rewrite is okay

Saiki K is good.

Sweetness and Lightning is very good

Zestiria is okay

Konobi is good

Taboo tattoo is forgettable

Time Travel Shoujo is okay

Twin Star Exorcists is very good

So nothing is scoring more than an 8 in there for me. Other shows just didn't click with me or were so bad I couldn't watch the first ep.

7 hours ago, Jibril said:

I'm not saying 91Days is the best anime this season.... but it is the best anime this season.

Reveal hidden contents

"I had a little brother, I'll let you meet him soon" Oh God hold me I can't contain this hype.

Godfather hype my friend, godfather hype. 

8 hours ago, Jibril said:

I'm not saying 91Days is the best anime this season.... but it is the best anime this season.

Reveal hidden contents

"I had a little brother, I'll let you meet him soon" Oh God hold me I can't contain this hype.

dropped it after three episodes, its a great series but the time during which the story unfolds just does not interest me one bit.

Well after floundering for half a dozen episodes Qualidea Code actually pulled out quite a good and interesting one.

Spoiler

No doubt Canaria is still alive and probably comes back as an apparent evil embodiment. Looks like the whole world is fake, a'la Matrix style.

Just now, Yukiru said:

Seems I'm minority for thinking of Amanchu! As anime of the season, that's too bad.

Amanchu's pretty cute and a very easy watch but it never really hits any highs IMO. In a similar vein, Amaama is equally cute but has some real highs by comparison. Both are "healing" style anime.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Well after floundering for half a dozen episodes Qualidea Code actually pulled out quite a good and interesting one.

Reveal hidden contents

No doubt Canaria is still alive and probably comes back as an apparent evil embodiment. Looks like the whole world is fake, a'la Matrix style.

The mindblown in the last episode is so real. If it weren't for the terribad animation and lackluster first few episodes this anime would've been a hidden gem.

37 minutes ago, Jibril said:

The mindblown in the last episode is so real. If it weren't for the terribad animation and lackluster first few episodes this anime would've been a hidden gem.

And that song... Canaria singing in the earlier episodes was great, even if the lyrics were Engrish. It may well be the reason I kept watching when everything else about those earlier episodes was so meh.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

Well how sad, Arslan ended exactly as I thought it would. Really great season overall, but it's such a turnoff that we end yet again with an obvious cliffhanger that may never see a continuation.

Well lets hope it does get a sequel, personal opinion on this matter is if you start a story like this you have to finish it.

Just now, havoc said:

Well lets hope it does get a sequel, personal opinion on this matter is if you start a story like this you have to finish it.

Supposedly, they cut it short at 8 episodes cuz they had arrived to the point where there's no more material to adapt... but no idea. Fingers crossed we see a S3 for Arslan next year or smth.