Linux gaming: Wine vs PlayOnLinux

PChedas

You, linux gamer, how do you play?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. You, linux gamer, how do you play?

• I play the correct file for Linux releases (.tar .deb etc)
    • I run on Wine the Windows file (.exe)
    • I run on PlayOnLinux the files

This poll is closed to new votes

Gaming in Linux has been difficult since Windows is the most used OS. There are many ways to play on Linux games made for Windows. The most used are the programs Wine and PlayOnLinux.

Here's my personal experience with each one:

I started trying PlayOnLinux because it had very good reviews in meny websites, i found it a bit difficult to manage (maybe I'm just dumb) and I finished with the 89% of my computer's hard drive ocuppied by failed copies of GTA: San Andreas TT. This was three years ago.

Then I tried the "Old Style" way of running Windows program on Linux: Wine. I first ran Kataw Shoujo and played It perfectly (i had some troubles on cinematics but that's because my computer is burned lol) from then ownwards i always played eroge and VNs running on Wine without any problem and also it's very very simple to use and manage.

Obviously a Linux gamer can also run the games already adapted to Linux OSs but sincerely, after seeking and seeking thorugh the internet i found very disappointing results as little variety or mainly old games (2000-2005).

So now is when you, Linux gamers, have to tell your own story and participate on the poll.

Thanks.

PChedas.

If we can extend that to Mac users, I opted for a Bootcamp install of a Windows XP, which I use pretty much only for VN purposes.

The Mac OS version of Wine isn't nearly as efficient and supported than the Linux one, so close to no VNs can be ran with it. I have yet to try PlayOnMac though. Since PlayOnLinux is Wine-based, I have hopes that PlayOnMac have the same possibilities the linux version has.

If one out of a billion times I can find a Mac released VN (like Katawa Shoujo) I'll gladly use it over bootcamp though.

Gaming in Linux has been difficult since Windows is the most used OS. There are many ways to play on Linux games made for Windows. The most used are the programs Wine and PlayOnLinux.

Here's my personal experience with each one:

I started trying PlayOnLinux because it had very good reviews in meny websites, i found it a bit difficult to manage (maybe I'm just dumb) and I finished with the 89% of my computer's hard drive ocuppied by failed copies of GTA: San Andreas TT. This was three years ago.

Then I tried the "Old Style" way of running Windows program on Linux: Wine. I first ran Kataw Shoujo and played It perfectly (i had some troubles on cinematics but that's because my computer is burned lol) from then ownwards i always played eroge and VNs running on Wine without any problem and also it's very very simple to use and manage.

Obviously a Linux gamer can also run the games already adapted to Linux OSs but sincerely, after seeking and seeking thorugh the internet i found very disappointing results as little variety or mainly old games (2000-2005).

So now is when you, Linux gamers, have to tell your own story and participate on the poll.

Thanks.

PChedas.

I asked a friend about PlayOnMac and I found that is almost exact to PlayOnLinux; y prefered Wine beacause is not only oriente to videogames as PlayOnWhatever is. I didn't try the version of Wine for Mac but I'll find out a bit more about it. However what wine (for Linux or Mac) does is so simple that is difficult to make it work without being fully finished. I don't know if you understand what i'm trying to tell you