I am back, and got my bachelor

havoc

Well nobody probably noticed, but I have not been posting for pretty much the entire year.

I did lurk around the site though.

As for why, well it has been a pretty hectic year.
In the last quarter of my third study year my mother got diagnosed with breast cancer and that really took up most of my time last summer, together with assuring I did not flunk anything.
Well afterwards during summer vacation I was basically in charge of the household, as my mother just had her surgery and was starting on chemotherapy.
She did not react well to it and got herself a urine way infection and spend the next two weeks in the hospital.
After the summer vacation I was busy again with school this time for my final year and having to deal with my minor, as well as a lot of stress at home.

After the second term I had to start on my internship and on my bachelors thesis, which basically comes down to a full work week.
My mother was still recovering at that point and I did not get along with my supervisor, which did not help with all the stress.

Somehow or another I still managed to succeed and get my bachelor, still haven't quite figured out how I managed to do it.
So yeah I managed to get my bacherlor in chemistry.

Only thing left now is to decide what to do afterwards.
Still have not quite figured out what to do next.

I am torn between finding a job and going for a master in chemistry.

I just cant seem to make my mind up about it, working sounds like a good decision but I wont be earning as much as I would with a masters degree.
On the other hand if I go for my masters degree, I will have to start living on my own (no problem there), but I will also have to pay for that all.
Which will mean I have to start borrowing, and that will probably amount to 30.000- 40.000 euro which to me is quite the sum.
I just cant seem to figure out what the right decision is.

(Note it was not my parents paying for everything, were I come from you get studiefincanciering for 4 years or the length of your study which covers most of the costs minus any material needs.)

I just needed to get that off my chest for a bit.
That and brag a little bit :makina:.

Welcome back Havoc. 

About your education. If you feel like continue your study and you are motivated enough to complete the last push do it. But if you need a break I suggest taking it and finding a job. You can always return to educate yourself later on when you have saved up some money. From personal opinion don't try to force anything if you don't feel like studying. 

22 hours ago, havoc said:

I am torn between finding a job and going for a master in chemistry.

I got some really good advice on this decision when I was trying to figure out what to do in my senior year of college: unless you are certain you want to go to graduate school, don't do it.

Anyway, nice to see you back, congratulations on your accomplishment, and best of luck!

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

It's beautiful to see you back again. Congratulations for succeeding on getting a bachelor despite all that difficulty... Sad to hear that about your mother. Hope she recovers quickly. Welcome back, havoc. We missed you.

Impressed someone managed to find this topic after a month^_^

Se has recovered mostly only thing left is her condition but that is also progressing well.
But she will be going back into surgery next month for a breast reconstruction, they will be taking fat and tissue from the abdomen to reconstruct the breast.
It is considered one of the most difficult cosmetic surgery's and she needs to stay in the hospital for about a week and needs six weeks of rest in total.

1 minute ago, havoc said:

Impressed someone managed to find this topic after a month^_^

Se has recovered mostly only thing left is her condition but that is also progressing well.
But she will be going back into surgery next month for a breast reconstruction, they will be taking fat and tissue from the abdomen to reconstruct the breast.
It is considered one of the most difficult cosmetic surgery's and she needs to stay in the hospital for about a week and needs six weeks of rest in total.

I'm so, so glad to hear she's doing better! ^^; 

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about that. Zen meditation for your mother dude. Tell her to chill, stay positive, and take life one day at a time, eat healthy, and actively turn around negative lifestyle activities. Cancer's a timebomb that just reveals you your approximate lifespan, that's it. But I believe it can still be turned around assuming your condition is not dire and time is still on your side. Do read up on chemotherapy to learn more about its side effects. I personally wouldn't want that myself as I've seen how it basically... fucks you up. You'll have to weight in the pros and cons, what chemotherapy drugs are available to you, and whether the body can survive the therapy or not. You may want to read up on megadose vitamin C (intravenous) treatment. Disclaimer: I'm no doctor, just someone who's read up on these things, so take my words with some salt ;).