[Not Clickbait] An explanation for my prolonged absence

Zenophilious

Hey.  I'm not dead (obviously) and I have no plans to quit the site.  Quite the opposite, really.  The thing that's been keeping me away is this: my computer won't turn on.  I'm trying to resolve it by myself without having to take it into a shop, but it's taking quite a while with on and off diagnostic sessions on various tech support forums and the fact that I'm getting very few days off from work.  I'm pretty damn cheap, but at this point I'm getting ready to buckle and just buy the parts without being 100% sure if I correctly identified the problem.  The lack of VNs, being able to regularly visit this forum and missing the ability to play Overwatch and my other games is really starting to piss me off.

So, yeah, I sincerely apologize for one, not communicating this before now aside from telling a small group of people, and two, being the lazy ass that I am and not getting around to fixing it sooner.  If anyone would be able to help me out with diagnosing the problem, I'd be extremely grateful, as I've never really been a "tech genius".  If you can, send me a PM, please don't post here.

9 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

I figured, but I'm pretty sure it's either my PSU or my motherboard, as my computer won't boot up and was having issues with crashing before.

It can be preety much everything - faulty PSU, damaged/overheated GPU or motherboard, dead CPU etc. If your bios doesn't boot up, I'd start with throwing away the GPU (if you have an on-board one, that is), or replace it with a cheap spare, reduce the ammount of RAM to one and then proceed to check the PSU, by replacing it as well. My guess is that most propably it's either one of those components and pray to gods it isn't the motherboard. Truth to be told - motherboard faults happen rarely, compared to PSU or GPU/RAM issues.

There's no reason to buy a new PC, especially if the one you had was more than enough for your needs. Don't waste money, learn to fix yer shit.

And yeah, hi. I was wondering where you disappeared.

2 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

It can be preety much everything - faulty PSU, damaged/overheated GPU or motherboard, dead CPU etc. If your bios doesn't boot up, I'd start with throwing away the GPU (if you have an on-board one, that is), or replace it with a cheap spare, reduce the ammount of RAM to one and then proceed to check the PSU, by replacing it as well. My guess is that most propably it's either one of those components and pray to gods it isn't the motherboard. Truth to be told - motherboard faults happen rarely, compared to PSU or GPU/RAM issues.

I hope that cleared things up for you, Zeno. To recap it could be anything, so try everything ...

7 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

There's no reason to buy a new PC, especially if the one you had was more than enough for your needs. Don't waste money, learn to fix yer shit.

And yeah, hi. I was wondering where you disappeared.

Damn.  And here I was under the impression that it was one of two things  >.<

I tried the paperclip trick with the PSU and the fan turned on, but from what I can tell that doesn't necessarily mean anything other than it's working enough to power the fans, and may not be working well enough to power the whole computer.  I don't have a spare PSU sitting around, but I do have an older graphics card that I can try.  I'll try that next :amane:

6 minutes ago, Rooke said:

I hope that cleared things up for you, Zeno. To recap it could be anything, so try everything ...

:komari:

Just saw this post and I recall that my brother CPU was had some problem with overheating at motherboard or something like that. And even after my brother was fix it, the problem was remain. Sorry if I couldn't offer my help here, just want to share my story and glad you didn't plan to quit like OriginalRen I suppose.

There are so many things that can be wrong with your PC to cause that issue. Your best bet right now is to either contact a professional or to find the defective part through trial and error.

Possible causes are:

RAM not completely in for some reason.

Overheated CPU can lead to shut downs. If you can at least manage to turn on the PC for a while before it shuts down, you could look at the temperatures.

Faulty GPU. Disconnect the GPU and connect your monitor to the MoBo instead.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having PC troubles myself this year. First it was because I bricked my Motherboard after attempting a BIOS update without researching into it more first...

Second was yesterday after spending the entire day trying to figure out why my PC would take a little over 40 minutes to load Windows, as opposed to like 2 seconds with my SSD boot drive. It ended up being my secondary SSD that only holds Steam and my games! :vinty:

As soon as I disconnected it, it booted up fine. Who would have thought that one extra hard drive that only has games installed could mess up the system so much, huh? Suffice to say my SSD for games is dead. :komari:

Luckily I got a secondary 500GB SSD for my games a few months back.

If you know someone with a PSU that can handle your system, I'd recommend you ask if you could borrow it to test if it's your PSU that's died. If the computer just randomly stopped switching on, chances are it's the PSU. Happend to me a few years back.

5 hours ago, Forgetful Frank said:

~snip~

I'm pretty sure the guy I'm getting help from has a decent amount of spare parts lying around.  He's worked at tech companies before and was tinkering with his computer since before I even had a Steam account.  If he can't pinpoint what's wrong, I'll be pretty surprised.  Thanks for the advice, though  ^_^

• 1 month later...

If you have second hand or refurbished parts available to you, that can probably save you some dough? If you've got a broken GPU, it's time a good time to upgrade to a GTX 1060/1070/1080.

If there's really no power going to the board, you can try looking for popped or about-to-pop capacitors to see if it's your mobo.

You can also try stripping to barebones (mobo, built-in IGP or GPU, and RAM) and start diagnosing from there. But you'll need a small piezo buzzer speaker connected to your board to hear the beeps?