AX 2016 - VN Bingo

Maxel

Lotta people not understanding the concept of bingo itt. Although this chart is a little too easy, imo.

Real predictions: A Rance title will be announced, and not Evenicle. Chuablesoft is an easy layup, they'll be one of MangaGamer's new partners. A new clock up title will also almost assuredly be announced there. Possibly Maggot Baits, I think Ero Manga might actually be a little bit more likely. And they'll announce either a new BL or a new Otome title.  

JAST will announce either Muramasa, or something on the same scale. I don't have any insight into any specific announcements here, but I am told that all three big publishers are basically swinging for the fences here, and a Muramasa announcement would be relatively safe and easy for JAST to do. I also expect a new Alcot game announcement, but I'm less sure about that. I really don't expect more than two announcements from them.

SP is always a total unknown. One thing to expect is a lot of actual 18+ announcements. They keep saying "Wait for AX" whenever anyone asks them about anything to do with 18+ stuff, including Maitetsu. And Dovac was talking about how he's happy that AX staff lets them talk openly about and show previews for 18+ stuff. Wild guess: SP will announce an August translation, possibly Daito before Eustia. The editor for the fan translation posted two or three months ago that the project was actually revived with the original translator back on board, and that they were working on the true route or something to that effect. Then we've heard nothing since. I wouldn't be surprised if that was picked up. 

18 minutes ago, Decay said:

Lotta people not understanding the concept of bingo itt. Although this chart is a little too easy, imo.

Real predictions: A Rance title will be announced, and not Evenicle. Chuablesoft is an easy layup, they'll be one of MangaGamer's new partners. A new clock up title will also almost assuredly be announced there. Possibly Maggot Baits, I think Ero Manga might actually be a little bit more likely. And they'll announce either a new BL or a new Otome title.  

JAST will announce either Muramasa, or something on the same scale. I don't have any insight into any specific announcements here, but I am told that all three big publishers are basically swinging for the fences here, and a Muramasa announcement would be relatively safe and easy for JAST to do. I also expect a new Alcot game announcement, but I'm less sure about that. I really don't expect more than two announcements from them.

SP is always a total unknown. One thing to expect is a lot of actual 18+ announcements. They keep saying "Wait for AX" whenever anyone asks them about anything to do with 18+ stuff, including Maitetsu. And Dovac was talking about how he's happy that AX staff lets them talk openly about and show previews for 18+ stuff. Wild guess: SP will announce an August translation, possibly Daito before Eustia. The editor for the fan translation posted two or three months ago that the project was actually revived with the original translator back on board, and that they were working on the true route or something to that effect. Then we've heard nothing since. I wouldn't be surprised if that was picked up. 

This post gives me so much hope:kosame:. If at least a few of these titles get announced i'll be happy. Thank you  for elaborating!

20 minutes ago, XReaper said:

to me jast trying to go after some willplus title seems pretty likely, though i´d rather see them overcome their apparent staff-related shortage first.

To be honest, Payne seems to be dumping a lot fewer resources into JAST these days. It was always a side project for him, but it seems like he made a pretty big go at it for the first few years of this decade. They made a lot of big announcements and seemed to be on the up. Then after some project delays, getting screwed over by some of his partners (5pb mainly), and the market shifting in a direction he's displeased with (steam), it seems like maybe he's a lot less enthusiastic? It's hard to say since he doesn't talk too openly about this kind of stuff, but the fact that they haven't even made a single convention appearance yet this year, not even a booth, tells me that JAST is a pretty small presence in general right now and Payne isn't too interested in rectifying that.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

and the market shifting in a direction he's displeased with (steam), it seems like maybe he's a lot less enthusiastic? 

There's a couple of aspects to that. There's the all-ages aspect, and also the 'we don't need you' aspect.

Japanese developers are seeing that they don't need Western VN publishers for anything other than physical distribution. They can gather translators themselves, and then whack it on a digital service like Steam with no problems. Need publicity? Just invest in a marketer. So the landscape's shifting a bit.

3 minutes ago, Rooke said:

There's a couple of aspects to that. There's the all-ages aspect, and also the 'we don't need you' aspect.

Japanese developers are seeing that they don't need Western VN publishers for anything other than physical distribution. They can gather translators themselves, and then whack it on a digital service like Steam with no problems. Need publicity? Just invest in a marketer. So the landscape's shifting a bit.

From the various interviews he's given, Payne seems pretty displeased with how things have turned out with Steam rewarding low-effort releases and quick cash-ins. He seems kind of skeptical that it will last and doesn't seem happy with every company expecting similar performance to Nekopara. I get the sense that he's just plain disgruntled with the direction the industry is going in.

It's not even 5x5.
If they at least had made it 4x4, it would have been possible to get a line. But like this, it's completely worthless.

Well, what to expect of the Sekai discord channel? First the English VN scene and now they're also ruining the bingo meme. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steam is an untapped market for eroge.  There's definitely interest there.  Unfortunately, this interest is tightly focused on games with the following attributes: cheap (less than $20), shallow / fanservice-oriented, and having interactivity/gameplay/animation (all unusual traits in professional eroge).  In other words, the games Steam players drift towards are the games VN fans tend to dismiss.  Case-in-point: One of my bestselling affiliate titles is Harajuku Dating Paradise, a game that I don't even mention anywhere on my blog.  It fits all of those parameters except animation.  Most VN fans probably haven't even heard of the game, yet somehow my audience is attracted to it like gnats to light.  I honestly don't even know how they're finding it.

6 hours ago, Decay said:

A new clock up title will also almost assuredly be announced there. Possibly Maggot Baits, I think Ero Manga might actually be a little bit more likely.

While it's definitely possible that they get a new Clockup title, it won't be Maggot Baits. MangaGamer recently denied on Twitter that they've plans for that title.

If they say it that clearly then it's out of discussion for them, at least for now. (Fortunately)

10 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

While it's definitely possible that they get a new Clockup title, it won't be Maggot Baits. MangaGamer recently denied on Twitter that they've plans for that title.

If they say it that clearly then it's out of discussion for them, at least for now. (Fortunately)

Hmmm...

I never noticed this. You sometimes see companies use language like this when they're actually like a month away from announcing it, but yeah, I guess this puts more points in favor of Ero Manga, fewer in favor of Maggot Baits. "Eroge!" was really successful for MG so them licensing more stuff along those lines that wouldn't be unexpected at all.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Hmmm...

I never noticed this. You sometimes see companies use language like this when they're actually like a month away from announcing it, but yeah, I guess this puts more points in favor of Ero Manga, fewer in favor of Maggot Baits. "Eroge!" was really successful for MG so them licensing more stuff along those lines that wouldn't be unexpected at all.

Guh :wafuu: Guess it could be them being absolute trolls, but yeah, prolly not ... damnit.

@Kawasumi, I blame you for hyping me up! バカ :yumiko: 

Guess I'm re-reading the moonspeak version again down the line :miyako: