Popular/well-liked visual novels that you don't like/care for?

4 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:

well i cant even make a better vn so i dont have the right to pour salt about these games.

Of course you have the right. Everyone has the right to criticize everything he wants.
You don't have to be good or even better at creating the things you criticize for your opinion to have value. Why would you even think that?

Just now, Tyrosyn said:

Of course you have the right. Everyone has the right to criticize everything he wants.
You don't need to be good or even better at creating the things you criticize. Why would you even think that?

well in the producers defence: you talk shit about this game, but can you make a better one?

Just now, wyldstrykr said:

well in the producers defence: you talk shit about this game, but can you make a better one?

Why does it matter? Do you never complain about bad food? Or boring movies? 

These are games made for us to enjoy. There is actually no one better equipped to critique them than ourselves. 

To put another way, the ability to make games is completely different from the ability to play and evaluate them. Being good at making games does not give your opinions on what's good and what's not any more weight than people who are clueless on game development. On the contrary, I find that most developers who try their hand at games criticism end up having way too biased of a perspective to fairly evaluate them. They end up relating with development issues that other developers might run into and soften their criticisms as a result.

But the fact is, criticizing game development is entirely different from criticizing games. Now, if we were to actually criticize the game development processes, I'd agree that arguments from experienced individuals hold the most weight. But that's not what we're doing here. What we're doing is simply saying "I think this is good" or "I think this is not good." The game development process has nothing to do with this evaluation and no additional insight into that process will make us better equipped to make these judgements. Because they are, after all, highly subjective and based purely on our own emotional responses to the games in question. Anyone can give these opinions, and they're never wrong.

Yeah, that idea is completely retarded.

I can't say a house looks shit because I am not a builder and can't build one myself.

I can't dislike a car, because I am not a car manufacturer and can't make a better one.

I can't hate a person because I am not god and can't make a better one.

I can't complain about my food being to salty at the restaurant because I am not a chef and can't cook something better..

etc.

19 hours ago, Decay said:

Why does it matter? Do you never complain about bad food? Or boring movies? 

These are games made for us to enjoy. There is actually no one better equipped to critique them than ourselves. 

Actually, when someone produces anything for public consumption - games, food, movies, etc. - they're pretty much asking to be critiqued by anyone and everyone. At least, that was how I was taught in journalism class. If you didn't want your work critiqued, you wouldn't have sold it to the public to try. It's why you need to have thick skin if you decide to do any sort of thing you sell to people - not everything you hear back will be rainbows and cum inside the tsundere. And it doesn't matter if the person critiquing it can do a better job or not. The "well can you do better?" card is a strawman argument for lazy creators who can't defend their work at all from in-depth critique.

So yes, the consumer is the best person to critique what is offered to them, and you are absolutely correct.

Yeah, for example I don't really like to rank stuff according to how good they are. My VNDB and MAL lists all have no points given to the stuff I consumed.

However, even I can say, this is shit because of reasons or this is good because it does the thing etc.

Just because you aren't working in the field or a professional critic doesn't mean you can't complain about something.

On 6/28/2016 at 9:42 PM, Ningen said:

I can't dislike a car, because I am not a car manufacturer and can't make a better one.

The mechanic who, many years ago, couldn't figure out why the steering in my car was mucking up and so decided to let half the air out of my tires and call the job done is happily free from criticism. I mean, I can't repair the car myself and so am not qualified to comment.

The whole concept that only creators are qualified to critique other creators is such an inane argument to make.

On 6/24/2016 at 9:46 AM, Funyarinpa said:

Muv Luv Alternative is a 7/10 game. It has great moments, yes, but overall it isn't all that impressive. IMHO it does not deserve very high a place in the hallmark of VN's.

INSERT VISUAL NOVEL HERE is a LOWER THAN ONE MIGHT USUALLY RATE SAID GAME/10 game. It has great moments, yes, but overall it isn't all that impressive. IMHO it does not deserve very high a place in the hallmark of VN's.

That thread was a zesty meme. 

Aiyoku no Eustia

I have multiple reasons... but the first and most obvious one is the fact that it uses the G-Senjou no Maou type of path-splitting.  Essentially, all the heroines other than Eustia herself are side-shows, and their paths literally make no sense whatsoever in the context of the setting, if you consider the factors involved in light of the true path. 

The second reason is that I don't like Eustia as a character or as a heroine.  To be blunt, she has 'Victim A' spray-painted across her face, in my mind.  I don't like weak/weak-willed heroines in general, and she is one of the worst heroines I've ever encountered when it comes to this.  This combines with the issue from above to make things infinitely worse from my perspective.

The third reason is the way the protagonist reacts to the events in the true path.  I'll be blunt... I don't like indecisive protagonists, and you don't get much more indecisive than he is in the true path. 

My active dislike for the VN is made infinitely worse by the fact that I actually liked it a lot, until I played the true path.

Suburashiki Hibi

This one hits two of my pet peeves... one of which is the multiple protagonist issue.  The other is VNs that are obscure for the sake of being obscure.

Kamidori Alchemy Meister

This one is a bit more obvious... after playing Ikusa Megami Zero (based in the same world), I played this... and was stunned at how much lower in quality (both writing and gameplay) it was in comparison.