Popular/well-liked visual novels that you don't like/care for?

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

It's at this point I realise how much of a plebeian I am. I've never played more than a few minutes of of a VN that I didn't like; and nearly all VN's have tried have been VN's I liked.

Perhaps I could claim to have disliked "I/O", but I only played little over half an hour of it.

Unless you decided "fuck the recommended order" and started with route C or D, it isn't for you then. The first two routes of I/O are great cyberpunk, then it moves on to stuff in C and D where shit becomes practically impossible to decipher.

I have to say G-senjou no Maou. Not saying it was a bad game, (I still rated it an 8 lol,) but after all the hype that game had gotten, playing it was kind of a dissapointment to be honest.

A lot of the mystery elements were easy to predict, leaving little impact on me during a big part of the story, and the third chapter was quite boring in my opinion. It wasn't bad, but the second chapter was so good, going from that to hearing about ice skating for hours was ... well, boring as fudge.

The ending was still very good, I loved most of the characters and some of the mystery elements did still catch me by surprise, but overall it was not as good as I had hoped.

Gahkthun- way too much boring SOL, the chapters that didn't involve the Sinister Six were incredibly disappointing, and Neon as a character is just not interesting.

I expected a good chuuni cyberpunk story out of it and I only enjoyed a few chapters throughout the whole thing.

Majikoi S- I loved the original Majikoi and was hyped when S was released and I was met with dumb after routes, random ero scenes just for the fuck of it, and the new routes' stories weren't as good as the original ones.

Eden- I expected to be crying after finishing it, but I was met with an incredibly slow middle that killed all my love for the game that it had built up with a good beginning. I still enjoyed it enough. Hell, I gave it a 7.4, but it was nowhere near what I was expecting from the VN.

Euphoria- I enjoyed the first 4 routes, but they really brought nothing of substance that would make me remember them, the writer can't decided on where to go with the protagonist, and the true route, while being the best part of the VN, was still generally weak.

OH BOY, THIS IS THE THREAD FOR ME! Hmm, where do I start?

Clannad: Mediocre at best. Terrible humor (with the exception of Nagisa's parents), bloated, uneven pacing, strange narrative choices, focus on emotional impact to a huge detriment of... well, common sense, really. One of the few VNs that made me genuinely fucking angry at various points.

Grisaia no Kajitsu: Godawful protagonist, shamelessly bloated in the common route, plot inconsistencies everywhere, some narrative choices annoyed the fuck out of me as well. Should have also been set in an alternate universe or alternate future, cause it's impossible not to ruin the immersion with all the completely over-the-top unrealistic stuff that's not so much impressive as it is vexing.

Shuffle!: Fuck Shuffle!

Demonbane: Well, that's more of my own personal problem, but I was promised a Lovecraftian story and what I got was Lovecraftian in name only. They could've used names from Shakespeare's works and call it Shakespearean with roughly the same effect.

Hoshizora no Memoria: A character-focused title without any good characters. The plot wasn't particularly inspired either.

G-Senjou no Maou: It wasn't a bad read, and I hesitated to include it in this list, but after reading Sharin no Kuni it was a definite letdown in comparison.

• Clannad, Kanon, Air, Planetarian, Rewrite, basically all that Key stuff — extremely boring and all about beating around the bush
    • Angels Beats were like 5/10 though; mildly enjoyable
  • Nekopara — can't stand all that "uwaaaa!! kawaii!!!" appeal and bouncing tits — extremely disgusting and shallow
  • Monmusu — disgusting CGs, sprites, really not my style

1 hour ago, Novelty said:

Yume Miru Kusuri: The characters were extremely shallow and the scenarios didn't make sense half of the time.

I liked it in general, but I'll never forget how the "catgirl" route inadvertently delivered the message that was the exact opposite of what it was supposedly intended to convey.