About Little Busters! and its anime adap.

Mei

Hello everyone,

I just have a question regarding this.

I've watched the anime adaptation before playing the VN, so I'm wandering whether it's ok if i go ahead and play the game, skipping( i think the Ctrl button forwards the scenes quickly enough) the routes that've been told in the anime. ( like komari's and mio's)

My first recommendation would be to always read the VN first when there is one, but it can't be helped sometimes.

When they make animes out of VNs it usually ends up very weird, or with a lot of incredibly good parts left out. Take Fate Stay Night or even Little Busters as an example. Sometimes it ends up good, like Clannad, but mostly it's not very good.

Well, this is about taste though, and some people just like the animes more. Nothing wrong with watching them, of course.

There will be a second season though, hopefully JC Staff will step it up.

*start Rant*

No!! just no!!!!!

They blew it with the anime and should just STOP!! I hated the anime, definition of a crappy adaptation (my opinion of course)

*end Rant*

Read the Visual Novel COMPLETELY!!! Its amazing. Skip the anime as if your life depended on it.

*start Rant*

No!! just no!!!!!

They blew it with the anime and should just STOP!! I hated the anime, definition of a crappy adaptation (my opinion of course)

*end Rant*

Read the Visual Novel COMPLETELY!!! Its amazing. Skip the anime as if your life depended on it.

Even if you say that, Mei in question watched the anime already...

Well, it was truly a crappy adaptation. When people animate Key stuff it's usually good, I got surprised by it. It may be because LB can't really follow an linear style, but that's probably not it.

The VN was amazing, and that may also be why I really disliked the anime. If you put high expectations on something and those expectations are broken the thing tend to look worse than it was. If I never read the LB Visual Novel, I may have liked the anime to a certain extent- much like I watched FSN before reading the VN and at the time I thought the anime was okay- after I read the VN I started thinking it was one of the crappiest animes I've ever seen.

My first recommendation would be to always read the VN first when there is one

If you put expectations on something and those expectations are broken the thing tend to look worse than it was. If I never read the LB Visual Novel, I may have liked the anime to a certain extent

Don't you see a conflict here?

The atmosphere in the anime is a lot weirder than the original source. J.C managed to keep some of the charm for the slice of life segments in the anime but the drama and mystery and even character establishment has kind of fallen on its face at every turn.

Source material is better definitely.

Anyway, my post was a long rant about how the anime is absolutely inferior and poorly executed shit by JC Staff, when Key did a much better job on the visual novel.

Here's why it failed, basically. It's a combination of execution issues, and why the anime was poorly received.

I read the VN and liked the anime after, but it has a lot of shortcomings in terms of grabbing the audience's attention, establishing something meaningful (romance), giving people a worthwhile ending to the first season (the ending was neither a cliffhanger, nor a conclusion), and the animation was subpar, and lacked the type of style found in any of Kyoto Animation's adaptation of Key's visual novels.

To go further into the criticism of each arc, Haruka and Kud's arcs were altered significantly, removing pretty much all of the romance, which was a driving force in Haruka's route. Also, Kud's scene in the cave lasted 5 minutes in the anime in real-time, compared to the days and weeks emphasized in the VN. Futaki's antagonistic buildup in Haruka's route was weaker, and her change of heart as a character was foreshadowed too early on, compared to the VN, also.

Komari's route was finely adapted, but was pretty much the weakest route in the VN. Mio's was done nicely also, but people didn't really catch the theme of it due to its execution.

Honestly, a lot of the animation was seen as pretty dull and boring. There's limited character interaction, and the baseball scenes aren't even as well animated as those in Clannad, where baseball isn't even as much of a focus. The route endings were nicely done, for the most part, but the story buildup bored people with the constant closeups scenes with lacking animation. Compare this to the style of KyoAni's Clannad adaptation, and there's no contest in terms of which will grab the audience's attention more easily. Little Busters' core story may be on the same level as Clannad's, but the anime execution wasn't nearly as strong.

Also, people don't enjoy Riki as a protagonist, not having seen how he improves come Rin 2 and Refrain next season. They'd much rather have someone like Kyousuke be the protagonist, as he's most similar to the protagonists of Key's previous works (Clannad, Kanon, Air).

The pacing and comedy execution is also weird and all of the place. They put a random Rin route episode inbetween Kud's arc, and Komari's arc happened too early on, before anyone cared for the character.

The common route precedes the heroine routes in the VN, to build relationships with all the characters before any of the drama happens, but it happens 4-5 episodes into the anime series, before some people even remember Komari's name.

Refrain might redeem it through its story, but J.C. Staff has offered little in terms of adding anything unique to the anime that wasn't part of the visual novel. Clannad had references to the Illusionary World each episode, for example, and has great storyboard directing to intensify specific scenes.

Little busters is my favorite VN alongside Muv-Luv Alternative, but the anime had a lot of shortcomings that affected people who only watched the anime.

Oh and the awful music directing in some of the episodes didn't help either.

Anyway, absolutely read the visual novel. JC Staff will probably screw up Refrain if they don't drastically improve their shit.

I actually like what the anime did with romance, which is scrap it entirely. Little Busters! theme, story and message and everything is about friendship. Even Rin and Riki's relationship is innocent and rarely explored. The only real romance that can't be substituted with friendship in the visual novel is Kurugaya. The entirety of the side routes besides her can be completely subsituted with friendship instead of romance if done properly, which J.C.. didn't really do. Mio's arc is weird as hell, especially with how short of time Riki and Mio knew eachother in the anime.

Kuds arc I feel got improved. Her route was atrociously terrible in the visual novel and actually gained a bit of relevance in the anime. Although it's hard to really make that worse then what it already was.

>> Anime << No simply no in my Case...

The whole drama of LB in the anime seems so wrong....

If only they used the REFRAIN loophole,

The time loop thing if I'm right

, as the outlying plot to make the anime a bit more faithful the the VN..

Komari crying with Rin>> Ahhh... I just want to destroy my PC, this isn't supposed to be resolved with the others.. That destroys the drama of the supposed to be Rin and Komari resolution..

Same thing with Haruka... Damn.. Whole LB Team, Leave Haruka, her sister and Riki Alone...

Hahaha.> This is my Reaction to the anime...

For the VN, Just play it and find out...

>> Anime << No simply no in my Case...

The whole drama of LB in the anime seems so wrong....

If only they used the REFRAIN loophole,

The time loop thing if I'm right

, as the outlying plot to make the anime a bit more faithful the the VN..

Komari crying with Rin>> Ahhh... I just want to destroy my PC, this isn't supposed to be resolved with the others.. That destroys the drama of the supposed to be Rin and Komari resolution..

Same thing with Haruka... Damn.. Whole LB Team, Leave Haruka, her sister and Riki Alone...

Hahaha.> This is my Reaction to the anime...

For the VN, Just play it and find out...

True, but Refrain heavily emphasized Rin's growth as well, and Clannad did well by involving Nagisa in some of the routes a bit.

Also, it was mentioned that Komari was Rin's closest friend outside the original 4 other Little Busters members... not sure if you even played Refrain?

Anyway, some of the anime's decisions were good, like emphasizing friendship more, but I know a lot of hardcore eroge/romance lovers preferred the romance intact.

Like I said, a lot of the drama being badly done is with the execution. They kept romance in Komari's route, most of it in Mio's route, removed it with Haruka and Kud's routes.

>Kuds arc I feel got improved.

Nonsense, I thought it was the worst executed route in the anime*. I said before that they cut out a lot of tension between Kud and Riki by having her in the cave for only 5 minutes.

Also, Kud's route serves as a pretty interesting metaphor in the visual novel, and has hints about her past and the Secret of the World, so hate it if you want, but it was far from relevant. It was probably just misunderstood for a lot of people. http://pastebin.com/3wHCEi4s

Anyway, the opinions are pretty split, and a lot of it goes to show that there were so many issues with JC Staff and an overall lack of consistency and proper execution, that any number of problems can be traced to try to see what went wrong.

LB tried to do what the Clannad anime, but failed miserably to most people. It literally had two routes in the style of the Clannad OVAs, where it was almost full-on romance, and it had two routes done in the Clannad main anime style, where Nagisa (Rin in Little Busters) helped out, and it was more friendship oriented. Kotomi's route had little romance but was the best route in Clannad, at least according to most of my friends and I, and it retained the story of backstory-driven tragedy that LB had.

tldr: shit execution = weak anime. It could've been with or without romance, but it was done improperly however they tried.

>Kuds arc I feel got improved.

Nonsense, I thought it was the worst executed route in the visual novel. I said before that they cut out a lot of tension between Kud and Riki by having her in the cave for only 5 minutes.

Also, Kud's route serves as a pretty interesting metaphor in the visual novel, and has hints about her past and the Secret of the World, so hate it if you want, but it was far from relevant. It was probably just misunderstood for a lot of people. http://pastebin.com/3wHCEi4s

Even if, by some miracle that pastebin is actually true, it's still badly written and pretty terrible across the board. I didn't really see any tension or anything in Kuds route even when it was happening. The whole route has a massive identity crisis about what it wants to be. I say it was improved in the anime but really not by much either way. Its just a showcase of terrible writing.

Also, it was mentioned that Komari was Rin's closest friend outside the original 4 other Little Busters members... not sure if you even played Refrain?

I know the fact.. but it just doesn't fit the dramatic situation... It's like a Suddenly A Rin appears thing for me....

>Kud's arc I feel got improved.

Somewhat... Since I didn't really feel Kud's arc that much in the LN excluding near the end....

However, I barely felt the impact of the anime.. I feel depressed when I remember Komari's route in VN, but in the anime, I'm like, "No Rin.. Even if it's that's your best friend, it's Riki and Komari's drama moment.. HNGGG!!!"

(PS: My description has been clouded due To me remembering the VN first before the anime which pretty much confused my description for the anime)