Zero Time Dilemma Reviews Roll In, All Positive / Discussion Thread (Beware 999/VLR spoilers!)

Funyarinpa

So, I just finished downloading it on steam, installed and everything, and... uh, no fullscreen? On 2016?

Edit: Found it! However, can't turn it back :<

I have to agree a lot with Scorp here and agree that the animation is terrible. Why to do it full animated and being that bad? I take back what I said about being ok as long as the game was released :/

Btw, @Scorp, is it me or

all scenes from the begining, including the coin tossing and the first vote are supposed to happen after the characters have interacted before? Some things like Junpei knowing what Carlos do and Carlos having lived close to Sigma - during their dialogues - implied that the game starts after the enclosure, and could go back to that in some time.

Or maybe I just missed a lot of information?

11 hours ago, Silvz said:

So, I just finished downloading it on steam, installed and everything, and... uh, no fullscreen? On 2016?

Edit: Found it! However, can't turn it back :<

I have to agree a lot with Scorp here and agree that the animation is terrible. Why to do it full animated and being that bad? I take back what I said about being ok as long as the game was released :/

Btw, @Scorp, is it me or

I do not remember, when it was told, but was in the beginning too. All of them were in Dcom experiment (that Mars journey test site) for a couple of weeks, and after they were taken in that shelter for final isolation test. But Zero 2nd had different plans for them - and isolation experiment became a massacre :)

So, I completed the game, so can write a review, I guess. But do not want :)

Basically all my complaints remain. After first 20 hours (so when you completed all puzzle rooms and plot actually starts) story becomes more interesting, I personally liked the Sigma/Diana and Akane/Junpei development (at least it was some development), twists became better developed, than in VLR (so it was actually possible to predict some of them, like Zero identity), so it looked more solid. Still, ending was nothing like final scene in 999, so I was sort of disappointed.

Game suffers a lot from ugly graphic, absence of narration (we never know what any of people thinks because of that, so they look quite stupid sometimes, and scenario is not always delivery you character motivation without narration), so shift into TWD-style game was not a good shift at all. Music was okay, but for me music was never a selling point in this series. Twists were okay, but it have a stong feel, that you have a mandatory 20-hour trip along the boring sequences, before you actually get a story.

So... I have a mixed feeling. It is better than VLR (which was a two steps back, comparing to Ever17 and 999), but not as good as 999. And 999 is not a perfect game.

I will give it 7/10. Only because of a story finally closed and overally it is not bad or boring. But if I had an objective opinion, it would be around 6, because game graphic is horrible, music and voices are nothing special (some of voice actors something even not get into right mood - never noticed that before, I am speaking about japanese voice, as I played with them), and when I have an urge to switch off the screen and just to read text - that's something really wrong with the game quality, really. Unfortunately I am not objective, as I was waiting for this game for years, so one point more than I should give it.

Man, I started playing ZDT the day after whatever the Forums rollbacked to, so ALL my posts gone, whatta dilemma rite

Quick summary of my thoughts again

• A lot more thrilling overall experience than VLR/999
  • Animations and overall aesthetics are crap
  • Emo grumpyboy Junpei is >.>
  • Feels weird as hell to see Junpei/Akane/Sigma/Phi die like fodder, its like "they went through the entirety of 999, VLR, only to die like that?? :makina: 
  • I miss Clover

Oh, that is what happened to the posts...

Well, I just finished playing it and I have to ask:

Do the game really ends on the 'decision' of murdering Delta or not?

And Jesus, if this is really the end, there are a L-O-T of unanswered questions. Seriously, I think Scorp said it was like R11 - but no, it is even worst. R11 at least had a reason to be like this. I really don't get why not to close the story nicely.

It looks like, for me, everything from VLR was useless, all the AB game and everything, since ZTD doesn't touch the subject in a good way, not even closing it.

Anyway, some rant aside, in the future I will try to analyse it better. Now I'm frustrated.

• Eclipsed changed the title to Zero Time Dilemma Reviews Roll In, All Positive / Discussion Thread (Beware 999/VLR spoilers!)

^ I think I'll finish ZDT soon, so I'll get back to you when I do. Hopefully it's not as disappointing as you make it sound :<

~~
So far, this has to be my favorite end:

Spoiler

ZKmRRD4.jpg (960×540)

It's just so eerie, ya know.

What's weird though, is that in this timeline, C team died at the beginning vote; there's no Akane / Junpei, so even though this is supposed to be the VLR ending, uhh I CALL PLOTHOLE

15 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

^ I think I'll finish ZDT soon, so I'll get back to you when I do. Hopefully it's not as disappointing as you make it sound :<

~~
So far, this has to be my favorite end:

Hide contents

ZKmRRD4.jpg (960×540)

It's just so eerie, ya know.

What's weird though, is that in this timeline, C team died at the beginning vote; there's no Akane / Junpei, so even though this is supposed to be the VLR ending, uhh I CALL PLOTHOLE

you're missing something here. There is no plot hole at all

12 hours ago, Silvz said:

you're missing something here. There is no plot hole at all

Ya, I'm just gonna binge until the end now, I spoke too soon ._.

These connections are so damn fun

And Carlos is hilariously idealistic

~~~
Finished ZDT

Totally hyped for Zero Escape 4 now, WOOT WOOT

:makina: 

Now time to go party harty America day, bblatez

14 hours ago, Silvz said:

Does the game really end after (SPOILS)

Yup, it does. Though, there are some 'epilogue' notes you can read on. Which I think is weird; they already went cinematic for everything, you might as well have cinematified the epilogues too ._.

Spoiler

f6j8O0t.jpg (960×540)

9 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Yup, it does. Though, there are some 'epilogue' notes you can read on. Which I think is weird; they already went cinematic for everything, you might as well have cinematified the epilogues too ._.

Hide contents

f6j8O0t.jpg (960×540)

where can I read it?

What'd you guys think of the big reveals?

Specifically,

Spoiler
Spoiler

1) That some old geezer was conveniently off camera / had a Harry Potter invisible cloak the entire time and was hardly acknowledged by the rest of team Q throughout

For me, it was so badly done I was actually legit confused what the hell was going on and so it felt more of a deus ex machina than a "holy hell, how did I not notice that!" ._. like, even the images you had to shoot / crossbow on the wall showed Sean, not Delta.
YON4BE4.jpg (952×531)
They tried too hard to make Q / Delta invisible the entire time that the actual reveal felt forced instead of mind blowing

Even though you could argue VLR did the same thing with grandpa Sigma, at least that one had more decent foreshadowing ie. Phi calling Sigma gramps, why Sigma always got his ass handled to him despite looking ripped as fuh on the game art, etc.

2) Different times, and everyone being on the same ward instead of three separate ones.

Ehh, I;m sure it probably took alot of effort on the devs' part to keep everything consistent, but the wow factor for this was just "that's nice to know" :P 

3) Phi (& Delta) being the twin children of Sigma & Diana

I liked the connection reveal. It didn't feel forced and had a decent wow factor; and you just gotta love that reunion scene during Force Quit D ^_^ 

88ekcGs.jpg (953×527)

D'awwwww

4) Delta's motives

"I had to do all this to ensure my existence" -> l0l

"As omniscient as I am with my Mind Hack abilities, I can't track down one single terrorist, so I have to do the whole kill 75% / 6 billion people with Radical 6" -> l0l

And my personal favorite, "My motives are complex" ->LPLOLOLOOOOOLOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL

mkpNmLP.jpg (956×529)

"I could explain my actions, but you wouldn't understand"

Lel, careful now :3

I put it in another spoiler tag just in case. Spoilertaggerinoceptiono

~~
Also, for those of you peeps who only got 3DS/Vita version and not the Steam which got the free exclusive booklet thingy as DLC, you can DL it here http://www.mediafire.com/download/z984waf83h1bukk/PremiumBooklet_E.pdf

It's a 47 page artbook that narrates the 5 days leading up to the actual events of ZDT, has character/team bios and developmental art, some puzzles you can solve while reading it, and 999/VLR summary recaps.

Spoiler
Spoiler

1) The rest of Q team does acknowledge Q/Delta various times during the game.
For example: When Zero picks the leader you see both Eric and mira saying "you're kidding!". Or Eric talking about a chair bound old man being at Dcom in the decontamination room, despite we never see him.
Jumpei mentions that Q "couldn't hear or see what happened " when he died in that timeline (due to the execution vote). This doesn't make sense if we are talking about Sean.Heres the scene im talking about, https://a.pomf.cat/aucdos.mp4
In the 3 way stand off, if you choose to shoot mira, when she shoots you back she shoots twice, one at Sean and one at Delta (you hear him fall out of his chair).
He was usually refered as "he" or "old man" most of the time.(I dont know how to explain that picture part though, except a a try to "keep" people confused)

2)Yeah i was expecting something of that sort when i saw the ending where Mira goes and kills all of D team (It was pretty obvious who was hidden in that cloak).
How is it possible that a guy as buff as Sigma dies so easily. :S

3)It was indeed a pretty sweet revelation.

4)His motives are complex after all. (You gotta give him a thumbs up though. After all he did a good job keeping his disguise going going as far as dying with the rest of Q team during some of the votes/choices).

On 7/3/2016 at 5:29 PM, Silvz said:

Oh, that is what happened to the posts...

Well, I just finished playing it and I have to ask:

Seriously, I think Scorp said it was like R11 - but no, it is even worst. R11 at least had a reason to be like this. I really don't get why not to close the story nicely.

IIRC I told something about same level of frustration :) Yes, probably Uchi aimed for 4th game or he just tired.

All reveals in this game was really meh.

But as I told they were more prepared, so I even got what they're implying right after Q team asked "who is this boy?" - parallels with Ever17 and VLR ending, mixed with R11 got me right into track. Wards were so similar to VLR layout, that I actually never even thought it is important, that they are same or separated - and, actually... It really does not matter at all, it was just for another "shock factor", for which I was just "so what?" (same was when I found out where is shelter situated in VLR - "so what? why you even did that, there was no big difference at all").

Motives in Zero Escape... Is a total bullshit. In VLR and ZTD there are NO motives at all, it was just "you would not understand the importance of that! 6 billions will die! DO NOT THINK - SHIFT!".  Only solid motives were present in 999, by me. Crap in VLR and even more in ZTD was just pathetic...

1 hour ago, Scorp said:

IIRC I told something about same level of frustration

:) Yes, seems Uchi aimed for 4th game or he just tired. Also probably he wants to make another ZE game, who knows...

All reveals in this game was really meh. But as I told they were more prepared, so I even got what they're implying right after Q team asked "who is this boy?" - parallels with Ever17 and VLR ending, mixed with R11 got me right into track. Wards were so similar to VLR layout, that I actually never even thought it is important, that they are same or separated - and, actually... It really does not matter at all, it was just for another "shock factor", for which I was just "so what?" (same was when I found out where is shelter situated in VLR - "so what? why you even did that, there was no big difference at all").

Motives in Zero Escape... Is a total bullshit. In VLR and ZTD there is NO motives at all, it was just "because".  Only solid motives were present in 999, by me. Crap in VLR and even more in ZTD was just pathetic...

It seems pretty obvious they are doing a fourth game to wrap the story up. The end of ZTD was TOO open to be the end, even considering that the problems from VLR weren't solved yet, and we still have a possible apocalypse to come.

For me, that 'big' reveal wasn't good at all. I saw, after reading some posts through the internet talking about some foreshadowing and all, but still doesn't make sense for me. It was not like Akane's reveal on 999, or even the old Sigma as the culprit and all. If it were a character from the roost, I would enjoy it way more.

The wards thing I noticed only because of the Force Quit Box, which was mostly on the same place and was being affected by the other groups. However, I didn't see they fitting at all. But it is nice to see Gab's ability to always be there to make some sense. However, I still don't know how many days, hours, weeks, they spent inside the shelter. We only get to see 2 times on their watches, and even though they explained the time difference for the groups, I couldn't figure how many times each group saw the same hours before, and what do that actually mean for the whole story.

And can someone tell me who

killed Junpei in the timeline where he has his head ripped of and Akane uses the chainsaw to attack Carlos

? I really think I missed the scene that lead to it.

1 hour ago, Silvz said:

I really think I missed the scene that lead to it.

Didn't Zero explained? Mira killed him.

Also what apocalypse?

All was prevented, virus did not escaped. But all that thing have NO SENSE at all, like

@Eclipsed complained.
Anyway, I doubt there would be 4th game, ending is ridiculous enough to be the "grand finale" :) But money talks, if this would be a huge sale success - who knows...

I couldn't figure how many times each group saw the same hours before, and what do that actually mean for the whole story.

They mean nothing. All this was just to explain that they were in same place... What would be the difference in case if that was just dunno, a hidden door and killer came through it when everyone was sleeping? No difference. Uchi again inventing things just for "shock". Looks... not convincing.

1 hour ago, Scorp said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Zero explained? Mira killed him.

Also what apocalypse? All was prevented, virus did not escaped. But all that thing have NO SENSE at all, like @Eclipsed complained.
Anyway, I doubt there would be 4th game, ending is ridiculous enough to be the "grand finale" :) But money talks, if this would be a huge sale success - who knows...

They mean nothing. All this was just to explain that they were in same place... What would be the difference in case if that was just dunno, a hidden door and killer came through it when everyone was sleeping? No difference. Uchi again inventing things just for "shock". Looks... not convincing.

Zero states that his plan of releasing Radical-6 was to prevent a religious group to explode the planet, killing all 8 billion people. Since his plan didn't work, that is what is going to happen. That is why the whole group promises to save the world just before the final scene with the gun. [/spoiler]

That, to me, is the main reason for us to have a new game.

On 05.07.2016 at 6:59 AM, Eclipsed said:

They tried too hard to make Q / Delta invisible the entire time that the actual reveal felt forced instead of mind blowing

I'm a bit tired for the long winded discussion but I feel like Uchi doesn't really know what "blind and deaf" man means. Just try to picture one of the opening scenes with the Team Q voting: three mighty minds are standing around a "blind and deaf man in a wheelchair" waiting for him to randomly wave his hand and vote for someone. And then judge him if his random wave has chosen the Ds. That should have been quite a spectacle.