Zero Time Dilemma Reviews Roll In, All Positive / Discussion Thread (Beware 999/VLR spoilers!)

Funyarinpa

Game will be out on the 28th. Some reviews even say that the game's the best in the trilogy. Spoilers for 999 and Virtue's Last Reward follow!

Destructoid is the only major website so far to publish a review. https://www.destructoid.com/review-zero-time-dilemma-370574.phtml

A couple others:

just

fuck

my

shit

up

FUCK

MY

SHIT

UP

UCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Positive?

I'm not going to beat around the bush here: the animation sucks. It's 2016, but characters move like they're in a Dire Straits video from the 1980s. They're robotic, slow, unnatural, and in the early hours of the game, incredibly distracting. Their faces aren't any better. Characters lack facial movements that adequately reflect the emotion of the perfectly acceptable voice acting.

Compounding this issue is the awful camera direction of these cut scenes, which represent probably 75% of the time you'll spend with Zero Time Dilemma. The camera is always moving, with slow pans, slower zooming shots, and awkward extreme close-ups. More rare than a shot that isn't moving is finding one that's not at a Dutch Angle. You would think the bunker is built on a slope given how many tilted shots there are.

Definitely this is what I was telling right after first gameplay videos hit youtube. That's just unbearable to watch, really. And I am the guy who really like old games! Chunsoft should just kill the people who work on 3D, really. This looks the poor version of the most budgeted indie game on the planet.

It's been way too long since I played these games. (I burned through VLR on Vita the week it came out, I think.) Anyone have a lead on the best YouTube recap of the series to date? I need a chance to refresh my memory on all the obsessive little details.

2 hours ago, Darbury said:

It's been way too long since I played these games. (I burned through VLR on Vita the week it came out, I think.) Anyone have a lead on the best YouTube recap of the series to date? I need a chance to refresh my memory on all the obsessive little details.

that's practically impossible, there's no recap video or anything that I know of.

On 6/23/2016 at 8:23 AM, Eclipsed said:

scorp still goin' on about graphix like a broken tape recorder

His last sentence is spot on, though.

Not everyone read my every message, you know :) And yes, I am still amazed how bad it looks like comparing with nice 2D images from 999.

On 6/23/2016 at 3:58 PM, Tyrosyn said:

How many of these reviewers have actually read Ever17?
Nothing worse than professional reviewers hyping 15 years old twists.

No one, I guess.

The ZDT pre-order watches got ganked, what a fking dilemma man. Games will still ship as scheduled, but ETA is a few weeks for the watches + a srry-even-though-preorders-were-last-year-we-still-last-minuted-the-watches-and-so-fk-you bonus item

http://nichegamer.com/2016/06/24/zero-time-dilemma-pre-order-watches-delayed-will-still-get-game/

On 3DS text is almost invisible on bright scenes. No "wait for click" option does not help too, as lot of phrases I am not able to finish reading before they actually told and next phrase starts (playing with japanese voices, of course). So had to press menu button every time to be sure I will read all. VERY annoying.

Also I do not know who thought that close-ups is a good idea. When 90% of time you look at images like this:

2016-02-22-194950.0.jpgYou really start wishing to have a possibility to switch off images AT ALL and read only text.

So far story is boring, reusing all the bad tropes from old games. I definitely will not be so interested to read it like I read 999 whole day long back in the days.

Characters behave themselves completely out of their previous personalities they had in other games. Like Akane advices to cut out Junpei hand, so he could fit into the ventilation shaft (what? o_O), character designs itself are a work of a madman (like look at Diana eyes, or Sigma will fly away on his eyebrows right away, or any other person feel like you read a fun comic book - while it was supposed to be serious, no?), lot of puns and jokes around does not help to build-up the scene - everything feel unnatural, like you watch a kindergarten play.

Anyway, as most of people around who will read it, I just want to know finale and twists, so I will read it anyway, but even if story delivers - by now all other elements just below average.

Overall it looks like Chunsoft tried to make a Telltale game like TWD, but had no skills or talent to do so => disappointment.

On 6/26/2016 at 11:52 AM, Scorp said:

Characters behave themselves completely out of their previous personalities they had in other games. Like Akane advices to cut out Junpei hand, so he could fit into the ventilation shaft (what? o_O)

That does sound like the real Akane we know. Finally.

Cringed hard at the "like TWD" remark. Will people ever stop implying that TWD games are even relatively good *sigh*

20 minutes ago, novurdim said:

That does sound like the real Akane we know. Finally.

Cringed hard at the "like TWD" remark. Will people ever stop implying that TWD games are even relatively good *sigh*

Comparing to ZTD first season of TWD is masterpiece, believe me. I am speaking about the whole storytelling/acting/direction, not the story itself. I do not like the acting (not voice, but facial close-ups/scenes)/dialogues in ZTD, they all feel unnatural and characters going out of their characters - Uchikoshi do not know the difference between the 22-year old girl and 67-year old man, they all act like typical 17-year old VN protagonists without face.

Btw, I read somewhat about 12 hours in the game, so can tell, that my first opinion was a bit harsh. Puzzles are okay, actually, some are annoying (but not as annoying as VLR ones, so about 999 level), but not really interesting (so level of immersion - copy-paste from VLR). Level design - again almost same rooms from VLR - Lounge, Pantry, Rec Room, etc., another sloppy work.

Also massacre mode is on its highest from any of the predecessor - before it was "inspired by Saw", now it is Saw itself. Explosive collars, axes, chainsaws, poison, acid, strangulation, various knives... Almost every team dies in different (but always gory) ways. What is bad about it - this all feels unnatural - I do not really care about any of participants, actually - as they do not behave themselves like a human beings - and they will die anyway, and it is mandatory to check every possible bad end (as there is no solution, at least by now).

So far it looks like a real Virtue's Last Reward rip-off. Puzzles are redesigned versions of VLR puzzles (you will feel at home, with all these passwords/liquids/numbers on darts fields/etc/etc), story... Well, it really look similar to first 2/3 of VLR so far, lot of blablabla (hopefully someone forced Uchikoshi to stop his pseudo-scientific infodumps, so they stop right after the start), and I do not really like VLR, so that's not a compliment. Even if you like VLR, I doubt you will enjoy something, which looks like VLR once again, with worsened characters. Or maybe not.

Anyway, I play it now just to get the final twist (or whatever) to finish Zero Escape series... As I do not feel satisfied with the story/visuals so far. Puzzles are the only bright thing here, but alas they all look too familiar to people who played VLR.

@Scorp, how did you get the game already? I was thinking about buying it for the 3DS, but I'll wait for the Steam version since the former is $51 canadian dollars, which is absurd for my wallet.

I really don't care about the animation anymore, I kind of accepted they are bad and will try to enjoy the end of this series. They didn't have too much budget, right? so it is acceptable to have the game to look like this. What intrigues me the most is why they prefered to go full-animated this way instead of doing something good in a VN-like style.

12 hours ago, Silvz said:

@Scorp, how did you get the game already? I was thinking about buying it for the 3DS, but I'll wait for the Steam version since the former is $51 canadian dollars, which is absurd for my wallet.

I really don't care about the animation anymore, I kind of accepted they are bad and will try to enjoy the end of this series. They didn't have too much budget, right? so it is acceptable to have the game to look like this. What intrigues me the most is why they prefered to go full-animated this way instead of doing something good in a VN-like style.

I am playing it for 3DS, same way I played VLR. Chunsoft was not cared about 3DS in the slightest, as there is even no stereoscopic 3D, that was completely worthless to buy it, unless for completion sake to have all versions. Most of time bottom screen is pure black, so even that I thought that VLR was sloppy work, ZTD exceeded all expectations of "sloppy".

Full motion approach was quite bad decision, actually, even without speaking about horrendous quality of these cell-shaded animations, my main complain is that I have to wait for actors to voice their line, without any way to skip it forward... Drives me mad, I would be able to read all that for 10 hours, instead had to waste almost 20...

So far only bright side was puzzles, as they are easier to solve than some inhuman ones in VLR, which I spent half a day to solve. Here is max you will spend is about 15-20 minutes (at least in my case), which is good balance. Story I do not like so far. Lets see the ending...

9 hours ago, Rooke said:

No. People compare them to TWD games because TWD games are exceptional and are the benchmark.

That's too bad. Pretty ironic how one of Telltale's weakest efforts has become their "hallmark", though that's not unusual in itself. And yeah, I'm already sorry for bringing it up in a ZTD discussion, I should go and buy it already to make my presence less, erm, off-topic-y. 

The person, who thought that it is good idea to use spaces in password should burn in hell! I spent 2 hours rewatching memento scenes, before I finally noticed that damn space key. Twenty thousand beardless dwarves, that sucks!

4 hours ago, Scorp said:

The person, who thought that it is good idea to use spaces in password should burn in hell! I spent 2 hours rewatching memento scenes, before I finally noticed that damn space key. Twenty thousand beardless dwarves, that sucks!

that's why I use walkthroughs :v

9 minutes ago, Silvz said:

There are some videos already, people are pretty fast.

Some videos of initial gameplay, it seems. While first real problem start after 20 hours of gameplay... I wasted 2 hours figuring out why game does not go forward - and the problem was that I did not cleared one of the variations in first Execution sequence...  Really dumb structure, when on map all is ok, no way to go - but still there is some hidden variation, indicated as icon in left top corner of the map... And I almost never used global map and never saw them... Annoyed me so much...

15 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Some videos of initial gameplay, it seems. While first real problem start after 20 hours of gameplay... I wasted 2 hours figuring out why game does not go forward - and the problem was that I did not cleared one of the variations in first Execution sequence...  Really dumb structure, when on map all is ok, no way to go - but still there is some hidden variation, indicated as icon in left top corner of the map... And I almost never used global map and never saw them... Annoyed me so much...

You could write these details here to help me later