VN's that were way above ur expectations...

Arkamondal

Futsuno Fantasy.

Though it's gonna be some parody i'll briefly enjoy. While it is a Parody it actually much more than that, definitely not expecting it to be one of my favorite VN of all time. 

Princess Evangile. Really, I wasn't expecting anything from it. I read some really harsh things about it and how long and boring its common route is, so I was sure I'd drop it at the common route. Man, was I mistaken. I ended up having fun at the common route, liking each heroine and now I see myself planning to read the fandisk.

Mashou no Nie. I was just planning to fap in this one. Well, I really ended fapping a lot to it, but I also had a good time reading it and kind of became a fan of the protagonist. 

Princess Lover!. Again, another VN that I only planned to fap. But in the end, I really ended up enjoying the story, characters and became a huge fan of Ricotta.

• 2 weeks later...

If my heart had wings. I saw some dude on YouTube play it and all I saw was the final h-scene between KOTORI and aoi and thought "this is just sex trash" (this was before I realized basically all VNs have h-scenes) and then a year or 2 later I saw it was on mobile and thought if im going to play it I may as well play it on pc. So I installed the restoration patch and was ready to go. Then I started.... And it was beautiful . I enjoyed much that by the end it was my favourite VN. It taught me to be more open minded about things. And to this day I have not read anything better 

Comyu was my first chuunige, and I was pretty nervous about it, even though I'd heard vague and positive murmurs about it before. But I'd gotten into VNs purely for The Feels(TM), and I was doubtful whether I'd enjoy all this shounen-y fight scene stuff. The reading club was reading it, though, and the whole reason I'd joined that was to expand my horizons, so I couldn't very well back out.

That turned out to be a good call. Fantastic game. It told me interesting stories, and felt well put-together as a big overarching plot, despite the branching and repeated common route (though a strictly-enforced route order helps with that, obviously). It definitely brought the feels down hard at one point. And the ending kicked more ass than any other VN ending I've seen.

Comyu was also the first time I actually appreciated an H scene. My only previous experiences with them were in Kanon and F/SN, though, so knowing what I do now, it's not a huge surprise that I found them completely cringe-worthy before.

There have been a few but the most surprising was by far Da Capo II.

The first Da Capo was very mediocre to me so I went into the second expecting it to still be average at the best but it just blew my expectations out of the water. The interactions between Yoshiyuki and the heroines were wonderful, each of the routes had a wonderfully emotional story with a wonderful message attached to it for both the reader and Yoshiyuki, the heroines themselves were fantastic and had great development, and the true ending is probably one of my favorite endings to this day. All of those things combined to make it not only vastly better than I thought it would be but also one of my personal favorite VNs.

I'm seconding the Everlasting Summer one. Storyline was peculiar but actually pretty cool, and the writing/art had (and has, if I'm honest) the power to still put me on edge or prod my stomach.

The hanging scene in particular sticks in my head like few others have done

And Nekopara if I'm honest. I was expecting fluff - which I got - but it was surprisingly endearing fluff.

• 3 weeks later...

Fate/Stay Night. I have a funny love-hate relationship with the VN. It began with me not being used to reading large chunks of text back then, so I found F/SN kinda boring at first. Note that this was way before the Realta Nua version came out. Then when I picked it up several years later, I thought, why the heck not and continued reading. Then bam, the exciting OP theme suddenly played and I was engaged. Things went uphill from there as the story got more interesting with each route.

Well, till the whole drama between Type-Moon elitists soured my feelings everytime I go into a F/SN discussion anyway. Hence the love-hate.

49 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

Although I haven't read many just yet, If My Heart Had Wings blew me away without a doubt. It was the one that got me interested in VN's initially after picking it up on sale, I it got me genuinely interested in the technical side of things of flying and such. It was a pretty interesting read! ^_^

That's exactly the same as me. Although I've played a bunch of free VNs before that, it never really hooked me as much as If My Heart Had Wings did. I initially got imhhw due to the nice art and CGs, but I never expected the story to be so engaging after actually reading it. That was essentially the VN that got me seriously into the whole genre as I decided to find more similar VNs after finishing it. :sachi:

16 minutes ago, Limerence_ said:

That's exactly the same as me. Although I've played a bunch of free VNs before that, it never really hooked me as much as If My Heart Had Wings did. I initially got imhhw due to the nice art and CGs, but I never expected the story to be so engaging after actually reading it. That was essentially the VN that got me seriously into the whole genre as I decided to find more similar VNs after finishing it. :sachi:

I'm glad to see it made a strong impact on you like it did to me! :miyako:

It really was a beautiful VN. ^_^

Yume Miru Kusuri. After the marvelous Steins;Gate, I didn't know what to expect from an eroge (I bought YMK on JAST USA because its cover is awesome :kosame:). But to my great surprise, I discovered an adult game with (many) good H-scenes, lovely art...and three excellent routes (with serious and very interesting topics like bullying, drug or fear of the future/present).

But my latest surprise was VA-11 HALL-A  :wub:

27 minutes ago, Canicheslayer said:

Yume Miru Kusuri. After the marvelous Steins;Gate, I didn't know what to expect from an eroge (I bought YMK on JAST USA because its cover is awesome :kosame:). But to my great surprise, I discovered an adult game with (many) great H-scenes, lovely art...and three excellent routes (with serious and vey interesting topics like bullying, drug or fear of the future/present).

But my latest surprise was VA-11 HALL-A  :wub:

Glad you liked YMK. I found the game probably half a decade ago when I was searching for VNs with lots of choices, and the multiple routes got me playing. I like that the mature subjects it dealt with didn't really feel forced upon you and merely exist as part of the world you're in. Some games involving these topics can get quite preachy, but this one thankfully doesn't sacrifice character development for a public service announcement.

One interesting thing to note is that if you decide to explore the other routes, it informs you about the fate of the heroine you ignore, leaving a rather sour taste because of how grim it can be (almost reminds me of Kanon, but even Kanon doesn't tell you directly in your face that your failure to save the girl result in her tragedy).

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about Aeka's route ending. It felt so satisfying to see, but at the same time, it did also feel kinda crude and over-the-top (reminds me a little bit of Bible Black), especially when the MC and Aeka get a happy end after what they've done. lol

The best gurl for me has to be Nekoko. She's so cute, both her Neko persona and her 'final form' at the ending. Her bad end was so disturbing IMO, even more than Aeka's.

After I finish reading this one, I felt a tinge of melancholy because it was over. I never felt this way about other VNs ever. It's probably due to how depressing and bittersweet the mood of the entire story can be.

Also, VA-11 HALL-A. I haven't got to that game yet even though I bought it recently. Hope you enjoy that one as well. It looks like quite an interesting cyberpunk adventure from what I see.

3 minutes ago, Lucius said:

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about Aeka's route ending. It felt so satisfying to see, but at the same time, it did also feel kinda crude and over-the-top (reminds me a little bit of Bible Black), especially when the MC and Aeka get a happy end after what they've done. lol

That's probably one of the two moments I prefer in YMK (with a certain scene in the hotel, Mizuki's route). Personal Reasons :ph34r: 

The best gurl for me has to be Nekoko. She's so cute, both her Neko persona and her 'final form' at the ending.

My girl rank : Aeka = Nekoko > Mizuki (her route is great but, physically, she's not my type).

2 minutes ago, Canicheslayer said:

My girl rank : Aeka = Nekoko > Mizuki (her route is great but, physically, she's not my type).

Yeah, Mizuki's a little too mature for me, but for me, it's not her physique that's not my type, but her 'air' of sobriety. I felt like Nekoko's more energetic and fun, which fits my type of girl more.

1 minute ago, Canicheslayer said:

Nekoko is so strange and funny that you can't stop following her delirium. Mizuki is, like I said, not my type and she's a bit frightening (she's interesting but way too extreme for my little heart).

"Frightening" is correct. I was shocked whenever she pulled one of her stunts - and I'm not easily shocked. I also agree about Nekoko's delirium. Her drug-trips seemed like so much fun at first, her pretending to be a fairy

Spoiler

and being bold enough to perform oral sex under the counter.

Such a fascinating creature. :illya: