VN's that were way above ur expectations...

Arkamondal

This topic may kinda look similar to some of u guys cause few weeks ago i hv asked the same kind of question with the topic "VN's that were not up to their mark..."....now back to topic today i want to ask u guys which was/were the VN's that sky-rocketed ur expectation (in a good way), meaning that before the release of the VN u were thinking that "i would not play this VN even i hv given the chance of free download" but after the VN  comes out u thought that "even if i hv pay a huge credit (not so huge though) i will play this VN".........I thought of this topic based on the answers of ChaosRaven and Narcosis in my previous topic.......

(*********IMPORTANT NOTE***********)

All players hv their own independence of chosing VN and so no one should oppose to another's choice of VN cause everyone hv their own like nd dislike......

11 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Dracu-Riot.

Honestly, I was expecting it to just be more romcom harem trash, but it was surprisingly fun to read through and I ended up putting it on my favorites (although it's still romcom harem trash).

at least it was good romcom trash :makina: 

eh, amane switch, I knew it was right up my alley when I started it up, but I never expected so much drama that was somewhat basic but felt well thought out.

Dra+Koi was a little vn I played because I love dragons, I didnt really have any expectations for it other than I have heard good stuff about the guy that wrote it, it was really good for a rather small vn.

I have a few

First and foremost, Dracu-Riot. It has the things I would ever want in a moege. Good cast, good story, actual 'problems', amazing SoL and so on and so forth.

Princess Evangile. Being the first VN I ever played, it had to have something special for me to get gripped in and that is Ayaka's route.

Sepia Tears. This is the thing that recovered my faith in OELVNs. It's the definitive OELVN with a Japanese-esque setting for me.

Hoshizora no Memoria. Still when I hadn't completed tens of VNs, tis one stood above the rest and is still the testament of my favorite VN developer, Favorite.

And lastly, Kusoge. Yes, this is a joke/satire VN made with Ren'Py, but it's the best I've experienced. The jokes and references are actually funny and not just grating like most joke VNs.

Kimi e okuru, sora no hana. Wasn't really sure what I was getting into when I started it. In just kinda picked it up because Matsuri looked hot, not even kidding :wahaha:

It ended up becoming one of my favorite VNs of all time. It was so beautiful, I still go back re-playing a scene here and there, just because I enjoyed it so much.

It also introdouced me to my all time favorite waifu, An.

Spoiler

UHH9wPb.png

Not really, because I rarely get into vns/games/anything that don't have an immediate appeal to me. With pretty much all of my all time favourite pieces of media, I had this strange feeling about them in advance, something about the imagery and/or sound that gave me high expectations. That feeling has never let me down, except with Sekien no Inganock, which just felt like most of the story was going over my head.

I do have one example though. While I had high expectations of Planetarian, I did not expect it to completely destroy my understanding of stories and leave me with a much greater appreciation for good writing, plot and characters

I usually don't seriously play shitty games.

Yet, something that was way better than expected would probably be some non-japanese meme game like this one.

The game was actually quite fun with nice memes and stuff like that, also lots of h-scenes.

However,  the main reason were probably my low expectations.

I was like: "This is way better than expected! A solid 4/10!"

Maybe Imouto Paradise and Eiyuu Senki. While the former was still nukige to me, at least from Rio and Aya route it show some potential to be normal charage (It helped that the staff probably allocate main writer to those 2 routes imo), and for Eiyuu Senki while I just expected some kind of genderbent historical figure harem plotless game, the story ie plot was surprisingly quite interesting, especially in middle game and end game which managed to get my attention here.

PS - Just check VNDB, and find out that Eiyuu Senki writer was same people as Kichikuou Rance, TORI (No wonder Eiyuu Senki end game remind me of Kichikuou Rance. Oh, and she was also had most of Rance series as her resume, including famous Sengoku Rance).

PPS - Now that I remembered that I also had same case with Shuffle. In fact I was kind of expect it would be almost all sex when I played Shuffle (Couldn't be helped here, considering I just finished Shera My Witch back there). And I'd find Shuffle was quite funny and had less sex scene, so it's quite good to me. Also with Kira Kira, when let's just said the normal end wasn't that I was expected.

hm,i'll say kara no shojo. i expected it to be just a good detective story were at the end,even if the situation seems desperate,the writer would pull a happy end out of his hat.  well,the whodunnit part wasn't disappointing ( i'm truly amazed by how intricate is the pattern of relations between all the characters,both in the first and second episode)  and the happy end was ,Alas for reiji  , inexistent. really good stuff (moreover,the art is beautiful ) 

also Euphoria surprised me in a good way .

1 hour ago, Arcadeotic said:

Princess Evangile. Being the first VN I ever played, it had to have something special for me to get gripped in and that is Ayaka's route.

it's also my first nd totally loved it since it's my first VN.....though after that find there r also deeper story-based VN.....but still love it now....

Euphoria.

Now this might be weird, but I was convinced to read it by a friend, got to the scene like 5 minutes in where the first girl dies and dropped it. Came back to it eventually at his request and for some reason, and I do not know why, I fell in love with Nemu's character. I don't know why, and I feel bad about it. 

good question, hmm what´s been wayyyyy above my expectations...guess there is not really one i can think of right now, simply because there arent that many which i started reading blind WITHOUT having been spoiled (thanks faggots) beforehand and that turned out the epitome of awesomeness in the end. nah screw that, i ´m going with 滅び朽ちる世界に追憶の花束を (https://t.co/pS8i8uMimt) here , just read it like a little while ago, never heard of it before (call me a retard, forwhy i deserve it) and the whole experience including everything literally blew my mind off like idk. seriously so.

Everlasting Summer. I literally had no expectations of it at all since I randomly stumbled upon it on some game site and clicked out of sheer curiosity, and it turned out to be a solid 9/10.

Since I haven't read many VNs yet though I usually only play what I think I will enjoy, so most of the time my expectations are at least close to the reality.

Brass Restoration. I was not expecting half as funny, varied in route topics, and generally at least somewhat unconventional as what I got. I stalled the very last route forever simply because I hated the thought of reading through what a character was about to do to themselves, lol.

Hmm, while there are certainly VN's that exceeded my expectations, there aren't that much which I didn't want to play at all and then they were really blowing me away.

I think the most prominent example in my case would be Kara no Shoujo. Initially I thought it would be some dark hentai guro crap like Maggot Baits, but thanks to some reviews and clarifying forum comments I got curious and tried the demo. I was literally glued to the screen - the VN turned out to be a very mature and serious work with a brilliant story and oozing atmosphere from every pore.

Overdrive's Edelweiss was also much better than expected and Suika A.S. surprised me with one of the most beautiful endings ever.

Nothing reaches the big contrast of initial expectation and actual experience like Kara no Shoujo though.