Favorite keybindings

mnakamura

Hi fellow VN fans,

Working on Mikan engine, I've been wondering what default keybinding do you find most intuitive / comfortable? I mean keybindings for actions like:

• "Next" / "Go" (obviously, the main button for a visual novel that one spends 99% of time stomping on)
  • Hide UI / text window (probably the second most used, when one wants to take a closer and better look at that juicy CG)
  • History (probably the third, when one just misclicked or just wants to re-read some of previously said stuff)
  • Load
  • Save
  • Quickload
  • Quicksave
  • Settings dialog
  • Exit to title
  • Exit game
  • Toggle fullscreen / windowed
  • Fast forward to previous choice / next choice
  • One step backward
  • Skip, toggle skipping already seen, etc
  • Replay current voice fragment
  • Toggle autoread
  • ... Something else?

What are keybindings that you find most annoying and definitely should not be used?

Edited by mnakamura
+voice, +auto

• Next / Go - Left mous button, both enter-keys and maybe space bar
  • Hide UI - Esc/Right mouse key
  • History - Scroll/ Backspace
  • Load - L key/ designated number (ie. 5, for example)
  • Save - S/ designated number
  • Quickload - Q/ designated number
  • Quicksave - Some key close to 'Q' in this case, probably 'W' or 'E'/ designated number
  • Settings - Esc/ Backspace
  • Exit to title - Most likely double-tapping some 'rarer' key, like F10, for example
  • Exit game - Same as the previous one
  • Skip to next choice/ previous choice - Holding down or double-tapping right and left arrow keys respectively
  • One step backwards/ transition to a previous line - Works in conjuction with the backlog by backlog having some sort of an option of jumping to a line in every line
  • Skip - Ctrl
  • Toffle Fullscreen On/Off - F

Most of the things that seem to belong in the settings-menu should be put there without a keybind. Saves and loads usually have buttons in the UI, so it's debateable if they really need keybinds. Settings-menu usually works as a menu in-game, so return to title and return to menu should probably be there and not have a keybind at all. Skipping and skip to the next/previous choice are usually in the UI if they're present in the engine/game, so they don't necessarily need keybinds and Ctrl works as a manua skip, being that it stops skipping as soon as you let go of the button.

One other thing that's usually present is the 'repeat voice' keybind, but that's usually within the UI, and if need be, I'd probably put it in as 'R' or a designated number.

• "Next" / "Go" - LMB
  • Hide UI / text window - Space
  • History - Mouse-wheel up
  • Settings dialog - RMB
  • Toggle fullscreen / windowed - F
  • Skip - Ctrl
  • Skip already seen text - Ctrl+LShift

Here are the ones that I regularly use/like to see. I guess I'm not much of a keyboard person, so the more functions the RMB settings dialog has (or alternatively buttons around the textbox), the better. Since I primarily use the mouse, that is the most comfortable way for me. On that note, I don't really like keybinds on the right side of the keyboard for that very reason; not a big fan of the Enter key having uses, for example.

35 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

One other thing that's usually present is the 'repeat voice' keybind, but that's usually within the UI, and if need be. I'd probably put it in as 'R' or a designated number.

Totally forgot about this one, thanks!

34 minutes ago, Vokoca said:
  • Skip - Ctrl
  • Skip already seen text - Ctrl+LShift

Thanks for your reply! I just wonder how that should work: because usually when you press Ctrl+LShift, you might press "Ctrl" first and that will fast forward what you have *not* seen yet.

Actually, I have a bit of grudge against using "Ctrl" to skip (and basically for *anything* beside being what it intended to be - a modifier). Do you people *really* use it that way and never had a problems with Ctrl being pressed accidentally totally ruining your place in novel?

39 minutes ago, mnakamura said:

Thanks for your reply! I just wonder how that should work: because usually when you press Ctrl+LShift, you might press "Ctrl" first and that will fast forward what you have *not* seen yet.

Actually, I have a bit of grudge against using "Ctrl" to skip (and basically for *anything* beside being what it intended to be - a modifier). Do you people *really* use it that way and never had a problems with Ctrl being pressed accidentally totally ruining your place in novel?

Oops, I accidentally wrote the exact opposite of what I actually meant. What I really meant was:

• Skip (read text only)- Ctrl
  • Skip (unread text as well) - Ctrl+LShift

So if you press ctrl alone and you are on a part you haven't read yet, nothing actually happens. It also shouldn't be a toggle, rather than just skip as long as you are pressing - and that time only.

It definitely can get in the way now that you mention it, but it's just something I got used to because most VNs use that key for skipping...

Advance text - Spacebar/LMB/Enter. I personally hate Enter but it seems to be the default in most VNs so it should still be bound to this.

History - Scroll up, Arrow up

Skip - How Vokoca described it. I'm used to it being CTRL but it would be much preferred if that only skipped read text, so that accidental presses don't mess you up.

Hide UI - Both Shifts, ESC

QuickMenu (Load/Save, QLoad/QSave, Settings, Quit) - RMB

Fullscreen/Windowed - F11

Voice replay - R

19 hours ago, Ningen said:

A screenshot key would be nice as well.

Of course you can always just download or rip the CGs, but taking screenshots of normal scenes can be fun as well.

I'm not really sure that it would be easy to do in a browser-based VN engine. Probably the best I can is memorizing a screenshot into clipboard - then you'll have to insert it somewhere. It's probably OK to send it via web-based messengers, but I can think no other use - i.e. it would be fairly hard to write it to a normal local file, upload from local disk to attach it somewhere, etc, etc.

OTOH, if that would be a public server, probably one can just serve ready-made images from it - forum-embeddable, all that glory :)